British Speedway Forum

A little early I hear some shout, not really our real season finishes in 19 days time (it actually finished some time ago) :approve:

We have just 2 home meetings left, so the home season is gone in 12 days (last meeting Aces away on 10/09/12)

So what have we learned, who do we keep, who do we let go, who do we want etc ... yes I know we do not know the points limit and the AGM is yet to come but we all know it will be round about the same as this year. I hope CVS & Peter Adams are thinking ahead with a ballpark team in mind, they need to be for sure.

My Thoughts

Keep Freddie, Tai, Ricky, Jacob.

Release/Transfer Nicolai, Tyron & loan out Pontus, find Sowka a Premier League team and help him out.

Get in Eddie Kennett for Klindt, that would give us 5 riders, then look at the young proven talent abroad that we can draft in on 4pt averages etc and go from there.

Kennett would benefit from a year at Monmore and Klindt would go well at Brandon, maybe a swap deal there could benefit both teams as Eddie is as popular as a turd in a swimming pool at Coventry right now (plus we could get him to put the shelves up ready for the trophys)

Bit early maybe ... but our season is as good as done ... 6 meetings to go :neutral:

• Like 1

kennett still popular with some coventry fans (def was friday) just would like him to be more consistant.

dont think many cov fans would want klindt to be fair (would rather have shamak or kennett than klindt)

tai on the otherhand is good at brandon

Edited by mdmc82

kennett still popular with some coventry fans (def was friday) just would like him to be more consistant.

dont think many cov fans would want klindt to be fair (would rather have shamak or kennett than klindt)

tai on the otherhand is good at brandon

You have 2 chances of getting Tai, very little & none at all :lol:

find Sowka a Premier League team and help him out.

Might be tough as all Poles must take out an ACU Licence to ride in the PL, even then you still get riders like Stan Burza who are prepared to do that, only to find the PZM block it ( which happened recently). Too much hassle for Polish riders to ride in the PL. Loan him out to Belle Vue, I'm sure they would have him! ;)

Tai Woffinden is the Crown Jewels of the club and they do not want to let anyone get their hands on him and he doesnt want to go. It's likely he will finish the season as top man and would therefore start 2013 as #1 with an average around 8.7

Freddie is the clubs Rolls Royce. It may be 26 years old and seen better days, but it can easily been brought back to its old style and power and celebrate his testimonial with the club looking to be a 9+ rider again and again.

Ty Proctor is like the trusted servant of the club. Has hardly ever missed a match since starting with them and has progressed each season and likely to start next season with an average somewhere around 5.80 Not only has he served the club well, but like a roaming guard dog one minute but he can suddenly turn up and riding at #2 provide the security for Freddie.

I would be suprised if Wolves never started with either Jacob Thorssell or Pontus Aspgren next season at #7 ..... Both would be 3.00 riders.

With POSSIBLY Freddie, Tai, Ty and a 3.00 rider, it would leave around 15 points for the last three pieces and it would be a suprise if Ricky Wells wasn't back as a full asset on around a 5 average,

With about 10 points for the last two places, it could be any combination that completes the team.

Aspgren and Thorssell at reserve giving enough room for a rider like Ed Kennett to back up Tai and Freddie

A new 4.00 rider like Mikkel Michelsen at reserve leaving room for Doyle/Howe doubling up ? .... Zengota ? .... Nermark ?

It could be two riders around 5, but I cant see it so one of the two options above would be more likely.

1 = Tai Woffinden 8.80

2 = Ricky Wells 5.00

3 = Eddie Kennett 6.80 or Doyle/Howe ~ Zengota 5.80

4 = Ty Proctor 5.70

5 = Fredrik Lindgren 8.50

6 = Asprgren 3.00 or Michelsen 4.00

7 = Jacob Thorssell 3.00

That's how I think the team would look anyway

Seen a lot worse for the last couple of years, dunno why but I would really love Kennett at Wolves :D

Sorry to sound negative but I really would not want Eddie Kennett at Wolves.

He is good at Monmore and he is a decent rider.

However, I may seem harsh but I just can't forgive his silencer 'incident'.

I know he has served his punishment, but I just can't help but feel that currently I wouldn't want someone who was caught cheating at my club.

Maybe a bit harsh but that is just how I feel right now.

• Like 1

Sorry to sound negative but I really would not want Eddie Kennett at Wolves.

He is good at Monmore and he is a decent rider.

However, I may seem harsh but I just can't forgive his silencer 'incident'.

I know he has served his punishment, but I just can't help but feel that currently I wouldn't want someone who was caught cheating at my club.

Maybe a bit harsh but that is just how I feel right now.

Didnt Sam once not show for a drug test after a meeting once, Ronnie Correy once turned up and failed a breath test at the fours finals at the EOES, we have forgiven our own before. Yes he did wrong & for that very reason he will not do anything again.

You have a hard heart Jonesy :lol:

Didnt Sam once not show for a drug test after a meeting once, Ronnie Correy once turned up and failed a breath test at the fours finals at the EOES, we have forgiven our own before. Yes he did wrong & for that very reason he will not do anything again.

You have a hard heart Jonesy :lol:

As its a Bee a hard heart is more than OK. :lol:

I see some of you have suggested Kennett but it's out of order to suggest we could end up with Klindt in return!

• Like 1

I see some of you have suggested Kennett but it's out of order to suggest we could end up with Klindt in return!

You should be so lucky. Klindt more chance of improvement than Kennett.

No need of choice for me - Nic over Ed every time.

• Like 1

The team needs a fresh look and we need to cast attention outside of our asset base and use our assets to potentially do mutually beneficial season long swaps with other teams where applicable.

2012 team failed fundmentally on two 4 point riders who were worth less than 3 between them at the time. Behind that was Freddie's dip in form and injuries to Tai and Nicolai. There is also the fact that some riders may have been there too long and the club and rider would both benefit from a change, at least for a year.

The way to win a title is having 2 riders having big average increases while the others at least are level or show small improvements.

In the 2012 team Ricky Wells fits the bill. He has been a revelation and is holding his own at #4. Wolves in fact with their 'keep the faith' policy do get riders who can go from struggler to revelation in next season - Chris Kerr 2009/2010, Ricky this year. I'd say Burmeister may have been a 4-5 rider this year too based on his pace and gating.

I would retain as the first order of business Freddie (testimonial year + scope to improve), Wells (seems to be able to hold his own in top 5) and Thorsell (could add numbers to a 3 point average next year and 'do a Ricky.'

I'd likely keep Tai but would loan him for a year if we could get a rider on a lower average who could improve to the point he does Tai's job as 2nd top rider.

Ty Proctor I would keep if he was a PL double upper. I think with more meetings and confidence from scoring points in the PL, he could add more numbers. If not I'd give him a year on loan but look to have him back in the future.

Nicolai I think is less likely but to be considered if numbers fit a balanced team.

Most likely I would say 3-4 max from 2012 to return. Needs more than minor tinkering based on our league position.

I'd go for Fisher possibly - I feel with Monmore as a home base and his ability to ride big tracks (Peterboro in Sky Match) he could add a point and break through.

What we can't do is simply do another hybrid of the 2009 title winning squad and the old Freddie, Tai, Nic and Ty and see who else fits. That was this years strategy and disaster ensued. We can't be too emotional in keeping our personal favorite riders but be a little colder. Its not the end of the world to loan an asset.

Edited by SteveEvans

At present Tai has a higher rolling average than Freddie and combined its 17.04

8.60 Tai Woffinden

8.44 Fredrik Lindgren

5.97 Nicolai Klindt

5.69 Ty Proctor

5.35 Ricky Wells

3.00 Pontus Aspgren

3.00 Jacob Thorssell

Wolves could start next season with the same team, but unless there are big changes, it looks like it would be only one or two changes at most. The team places that look unsecure are Nicolai's and one at reserve as it would be likely that Freddie, Tai, Ty and Ricky would be back plus at least one 3.00 Swede .... but which one ?

With just 2 home matches (BV and Lakeside) and 3 away matches (Birmingham, Coventry, Belle Vue), chances are that averages above will drop even more, even if by just a little. .... So I would think that if they could make changes in just one place.

Would they sign a rider like Kennett 6.94, Batchelor 7.53, Korneliussen 6.90, Bridger 6.79, Gustafsson 6.43 or Nicholls 7.47 ..... to replace Nicolai and keep both 3.00 riders ?

or more likely, would they sign a 4.00 rider at reserve and with a slight drop expected in the averages keep Nicolai (or Miskowiak) ?

I would say it more likely a new, but more known 4.00 rider would be bought in to partner Jacob or Pontus at reserve while backing Tai and Freddie would be Ricky and any two from Nicolai, Miskowiak or Ty

When the FINAL averages are available it shoud be less of a guessing game then

• Like 1

I think Nicolai & Tyron should be the definate movers, both should be better than they are at present but some riders just cannot take the next step. As for Ryan Fisher I would love him at Wolves, a good hard rider who cares little for reputations and could easily be a 6.50 rider in the Elite. IF we could move Nicolai & Tyron and replace them with Fisher and Kennett that would do for me :approve: