British Speedway Forum

could we see the return of Burmeister perhaps if we can get him a PL team also

Yeah,and bring Stichauer back as well--not.

We could be looking at a higher points limit next year. Don't forget a certain south coast promoter has twins that will have a joint average of 19+ to fit in

• Like 1

The 2 over 9 rule will be implemented. :o

To form a potential title winning team you need the following ingredients

You need riders that can improve their average

One or two riders that form a backbone for the team ..... does what it says on the tin

A reserve you can call on when needed, especially if using r/r

Fredrik Lindgren has ridden 22 league matches this season and has 5 left to ride. So far he has 228 points from 108 rides giving him a 8.44 average at present, If he rides in all 5 meetings left, the only score carried over from 2011 will be 11 from 5. ..... If he scores 65 out of 75 points in those remaining meetings (25 rides) he will gave an average of 8.81 next season. .... Yes his average has slipped in the last few seasons, but will it drop again next year ? ..... unlikely and it would be no suprise if he added at least half a point to it to be around 9.30

Tai Woffinden has improved every year and is averaging 8.43 this season but will have those maximums from the end of 2011 sitting on his average for a while due to the meetings he has missed through injury this season. Even if he finishes the season as #1 on an average just shy of nine points a meeting, I would think he would at least retain that next season and possibly improve it .... but will he stays as #1 ?

Those two are nailed on to be back next season and should be around 17.5 combined ..... although he is at present a Coventry asset, Ricky Wells should and wants to be back. His progression in the sport since joining Wolves has turned him from a 5 point PL rider to a 5+ rider in the EL and scoring points from the main body and not just reserve. .... However there are two concerns.

Firstly the fact that he is on loan and Coventry will no doubt use Roynon next season but they also have Josh Auty and Aaron Summers and all three are 5+ riders that also ride in the PL. Would Coventry keep all four to form two strong doubling up pairings ? ..... Secondly he has ridden in 19 matches this season and has scored 143 points from 92 rides, averaging 6.22. .... If he carries on picking up points as he is, he could end up with a rolling average just shy of 6 .... could he maintain that in 2013 ?

Jacob Thorssell started on a 4.00 and apart from one meeting on a rough track, he looked lie he was never going to really do much. However he has since put in some good displays and his showing at Poole on Wednesday proves that on a 3.00 average at reserve he could not only do a decent job in 2013 but could also improve on his average. Add him to Tai and Freddie your on roughly 20.5 with 4 spaces left.

This season Nicolai is averaging just 5.42 from his 11 matches completed but with the rolling averages he is currently on 5.97. We know he is much better than that as he has averaged around 6.5 for the last two years despite injuries. On a very simular average is Ty Proctor, averaging 5.49 this season but a 5.69 rolling average. .... I would say one of these would stay ..... but which one ?

Nicolai possibly has the best potential and could be a good third heat leader, but he is very inconsistant where as Ty is more of a good second string who is much stronger in the #2 race jacket. ...... Adding one of these two and it takes it to roughly 26.25 with 3 spaces left ad roughly 14.75 left.

With the thought of having a strong reserve possibly rules out Pontus Aspgren despite him looking a lot more comfortable since dropping to reserve. If you were to go for a hot shot 4.00 rider like Mikkel Michelsen then it would be a gamble, but you know with a rider like MM you are gettinng a rider with real potential where as riders like Sowka, Aspgren, Thorssell etc you are just hoping to uncover a hidden gem. You could however go for a safer / less interesting option of signing a rider like Ludvig Lindgren or Ricky Kling. .... Signing a 4.00 would leave around 10.75 for the final two places. So you then have to pick two from a long list

Ricky Wells 5.50 ...... would he want to double up again or wanted by Coventry ?

Patrick Hougaard 5.25 ..... possibly a loan deal taking Klindt or Proctor the opposite way ?

David Howe / Jason Doyle 5.75 ...... either as a double act or one sharing with Proctor if Ty was to double up ?

Daniel Nermark 5.80 ..... Former Wolf and lives close by still ..... good back up rider

Simon Gustafsson 6.50 / Lewis Bridger 6.80 / Mads Korneliussen 6.90 / Magic Janowski 6.20 / Eddie Kennett 6.90

Personally using riders listed above, my preference would probably be ......

1 - Fredrik Lindgren

2 - Mikkel Michelsen

3 - Simon Gustafsson or Magic Janowski

4 - Nicolai Klindt or Doyle/Proctor

5 - Tai Woffinden

6 - Ludvig Lindgren / Ricky Kling

7 - Jacob Thorssell

Freddie, Mikkel and Jacob the improvers

#3 and #4 could both improve but more likely provide a back bone to Tai and Freddie.

Ludvig / Kling would be a decent reserve

A team built more on improving but also more dominant at home.

The team needs a fresh look and we need to cast attention outside of our asset base and use our assets to potentially do mutually beneficial season long swaps with other teams where applicable.

2012 team failed fundmentally on two 4 point riders who were worth less than 3 between them at the time. Behind that was Freddie's dip in form and injuries to Tai and Nicolai. There is also the fact that some riders may have been there too long and the club and rider would both benefit from a change, at least for a year.

The way to win a title is having 2 riders having big average increases while the others at least are level or show small improvements.

In the 2012 team Ricky Wells fits the bill. He has been a revelation and is holding his own at #4. Wolves in fact with their 'keep the faith' policy do get riders who can go from struggler to revelation in next season - Chris Kerr 2009/2010, Ricky this year. I'd say Burmeister may have been a 4-5 rider this year too based on his pace and gating.

I would retain as the first order of business Freddie (testimonial year + scope to improve), Wells (seems to be able to hold his own in top 5) and Thorsell (could add numbers to a 3 point average next year and 'do a Ricky.'

I'd likely keep Tai but would loan him for a year if we could get a rider on a lower average who could improve to the point he does Tai's job as 2nd top rider.

Ty Proctor I would keep if he was a PL double upper. I think with more meetings and confidence from scoring points in the PL, he could add more numbers. If not I'd give him a year on loan but look to have him back in the future.

Nicolai I think is less likely but to be considered if numbers fit a balanced team.

Most likely I would say 3-4 max from 2012 to return. Needs more than minor tinkering based on our league position.

I'd go for Fisher possibly - I feel with Monmore as a home base and his ability to ride big tracks (Peterboro in Sky Match) he could add a point and break through.

What we can't do is simply do another hybrid of the 2009 title winning squad and the old Freddie, Tai, Nic and Ty and see who else fits. That was this years strategy and disaster ensued. We can't be too emotional in keeping our personal favorite riders but be a little colder. Its not the end of the world to loan an asset.

Be interesting to know what other Wolves fans think about Steve,s proposals.

Personally,id go along with most of his idea,s,

Probably all of them in fact.

I would think Throssell would be included in next year he has impressed me so far.

Be interesting to know what other Wolves fans think about Steve,s proposals.....

It was going so well until he used the F word :D

• Like 1

It was going so well until he used the F word :D

Presume you mean Fish and not Fred. :blink:
  • Like 1

Loan Sowka out to Belle Vue, I'm sure they would have him! ;)

No thank you to that! But thanks for thinking of us anyway! I had to count to ten before responding as my initial response may have got me banned from the forum! :P

• Like 2

The team needs a fresh look and we need to cast attention outside of our asset base and use our assets to potentially do mutually beneficial season long swaps with other teams where applicable.

2012 team failed fundmentally on two 4 point riders who were worth less than 3 between them at the time. Behind that was Freddie's dip in form and injuries to Tai and Nicolai. There is also the fact that some riders may have been there too long and the club and rider would both benefit from a change, at least for a year.

The way to win a title is having 2 riders having big average increases while the others at least are level or show small improvements.

In the 2012 team Ricky Wells fits the bill. He has been a revelation and is holding his own at #4. Wolves in fact with their 'keep the faith' policy do get riders who can go from struggler to revelation in next season - Chris Kerr 2009/2010, Ricky this year. I'd say Burmeister may have been a 4-5 rider this year too based on his pace and gating.

I would retain as the first order of business Freddie (testimonial year + scope to improve), Wells (seems to be able to hold his own in top 5) and Thorsell (could add numbers to a 3 point average next year and 'do a Ricky.'

I'd likely keep Tai but would loan him for a year if we could get a rider on a lower average who could improve to the point he does Tai's job as 2nd top rider.

Ty Proctor I would keep if he was a PL double upper. I think with more meetings and confidence from scoring points in the PL, he could add more numbers. If not I'd give him a year on loan but look to have him back in the future.

Nicolai I think is less likely but to be considered if numbers fit a balanced team.

Most likely I would say 3-4 max from 2012 to return. Needs more than minor tinkering based on our league position.

I'd go for Fisher possibly - I feel with Monmore as a home base and his ability to ride big tracks (Peterboro in Sky Match) he could add a point and break through.

What we can't do is simply do another hybrid of the 2009 title winning squad and the old Freddie, Tai, Nic and Ty and see who else fits. That was this years strategy and disaster ensued. We can't be too emotional in keeping our personal favorite riders but be a little colder. Its not the end of the world to loan an asset.

Do I detect a recurring motif here, O west coast exile?

• Like 1

Do I detect a recurring motif here, O west coast exile?

Could he please mention Hamill on an assessed 3 please as well. :wink:

The silly season starts earlier and earlier.

If certain rumours flying around are to be believed don't assume that certain riders who might appear to be "Nailed On " will be in the 2013 line up.

Whatever happens, after 2 seasons with pretty much the same line up, and 2 seasons of failure, the time is right for a good clear out.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense - so that would appear to rule out our promotion :D :D - has to see that you can't keep going to the same well if it not producing anything.

Our promotion seem to favour the cheap option of recycling their current assets - but they must have realised by now that the fans don't seem to share their optimism with the set of riders that they currently have judging by the gaps on the terraces.

Wolfie

Didnt Sam once not show for a drug test after a meeting once, Ronnie Correy once turned up and failed a breath test at the fours finals at the EOES, we have forgiven our own before. Yes he did wrong & for that very reason he will not do anything again.

You have a hard heart Jonesy :lol:

As Kennett has been busted again, you're wrong.

As for the other two instances, hardly comparable.

would not have klindt back to inconsistant also overated by many

Only ones over rating him are the ones criticising him.

Edited by BWitcher