British Speedway Forum

That old chestnut finished off my regular visits to Monmore amongst other things eg Treatment of Wolfcry. If they couldn't be ar$ed, then neither could I. Although I do concede that Johnno for Sam was madness it does serve to illustrate my earlier point to Steve rather well, thanks for that :D

Although, lets not forget, Sam averaged less than Johnno in the same season, plus was a higher starting average...

The treatment of Wolfcry was a very different issue though and I agree with your points there totally.

The issue with Johnno was quite simply, for whatever reason some fans were expecting him to be an 8pt rider.

Although, lets not forget, Sam averaged less than Johnno in the same season, plus was a higher starting average...

The treatment of Wolfcry was a very different issue though and I agree with your points there totally.

The issue with Johnno was quite simply, for whatever reason some fans were expecting him to be an 8pt rider.

Not in the slightest, don't know anybody who thought he'd do that. I didn't enjoy watching him as an opposition rider and certainly didn't enjoy him wearing a Wolves race-jacket. It's nothing to do with Sam, Johnston was a poor signing full stop. I was aghast when the management announced it.

Not in the slightest, don't know anybody who thought he'd do that. I didn't enjoy watching him as an opposition rider and certainly didn't enjoy him wearing a Wolves race-jacket. It's nothing to do with Sam, Johnston was a poor signing full stop. I was aghast when the management announced it.

Again, we have no reason for why he was a poor signing, or what he actually failed to do.Johno became a scapegoat that season for the ill feeling between the promotion and Wolfcry.

Add to this he started the season in a blaze of form, so what when he returned to normal and had a few bad meetings some folk turned on him.

He averaged 6.65 in the role that the likes of Adam Skornicki, Graham Jones have been asked to fill over the years.. both of whom had season after season around that figure.

What exactly were some fans expecting from him that season?

I'd like to add, I was no big fan of him either. I just don't buy into this theory he was a disastrous signing as he pretty much did the job he was signed to do. We've had far worse riders.

Again, we have no reason for why he was a poor signing, or what he actually failed to do.Johno became a scapegoat that season for the ill feeling between the promotion and Wolfcry.

Add to this he started the season in a blaze of form, so what when he returned to normal and had a few bad meetings some folk turned on him.

He averaged 6.65 in the role that the likes of Adam Skornicki, Graham Jones have been asked to fill over the years.. both of whom had season after season around that figure.

What exactly were some fans expecting from him that season?

I'd like to add, I was no big fan of him either. I just don't buy into this theory he was a disastrous signing as he pretty much did the job he was signed to do. We've had far worse riders.

Regards flymo johno i thought the signing was a decent one at the time, given his great record at Monmore and history of big scores.

But what we actually got was an average rider who would never be able to replace Sam anyway.

Think he took a lot of stick but some of it was warranted - particularly his slow bikes.

Regards flymo johno i thought the signing was a decent one at the time, given his great record at Monmore and history of big scores.

But what we actually got was an average rider who would never be able to replace Sam anyway.

Think he took a lot of stick but some of it was warranted - particularly his slow bikes.

Here's an example of exactly what I meant. For some reason foik were expecting a career 6.5-7pt guy to be rattling up big scores every week.

It is they who were wrong, not the rider who did as he always did.

Johnston was never a favorite of mine, always classed as mr entertainment etc yet seemed an extremely plain rider to me.

Was always a 6-7 point man though .

Cant see how he was expected to suddenly change that at Wolves.

forgive me if i am wrong but when he replaced ermolenko was sam not already well past his sell by date?

From memory i remember him having two maybe three seasons as a top heatleader between 1999 and his retirement altho appreciate he was absolutely world class prior to that

Sam had his best season in a while in 2004, upping his average from the low 6's to about 7.5. Got back up to heat leader standard.