British Speedway Forum

Tuesday 19th February 2013, 01:30

New Zealand champion Jason Bunyan will tackle world speedway’s elite once again at Western Springs on March 23 after being handed the 2013 Buckley Systems New Zealand FIM Speedway Grand Prix wild card.

Bunyan, who lined up in last season’s inaugural Grand Prix in Auckland, has lifted the NZ title eight times since 2004 and spends the European off-season racing in the land of the long white cloud.

He collected his latest title at North Island track Rosebank last month with a 15-point maximum – putting him one short of Kiwi legend Larry Ross’ record haul of nine championships between 1976 and 1990.

The 33-year-old dons the No.16 race jacket for what will be the opening round of the 2013 SGP series.

Bunyan is joined in the meeting by NZ Championship runner-up Dale Finch and third-placed Sean Mason.

They will serve as track reserves and take to the shale if any of the 16 riders in the main field are forced to miss a race through injury, illness or other reasons. Mason wears the No.17 race jacket and Finch is No.18.

www.speedwaysgp.com

Tuesday 19th February 2013, 01:30

New Zealand champion Jason Bunyan will tackle world speedway’s elite once again at Western Springs on March 23 after being handed the 2013 Buckley Systems New Zealand FIM Speedway Grand Prix wild card.

Bunyan, who lined up in last season’s inaugural Grand Prix in Auckland, has lifted the NZ title eight times since 2004 and spends the European off-season racing in the land of the long white cloud.

He collected his latest title at North Island track Rosebank last month with a 15-point maximum – putting him one short of Kiwi legend Larry Ross’ record haul of nine championships between 1976 and 1990.

The 33-year-old dons the No.16 race jacket for what will be the opening round of the 2013 SGP series.

Bunyan is joined in the meeting by NZ Championship runner-up Dale Finch and third-placed Sean Mason.

They will serve as track reserves and take to the shale if any of the 16 riders in the main field are forced to miss a race through injury, illness or other reasons. Mason wears the No.17 race jacket and Finch is No.18.

www.speedwaysgp.com

Must admit I was shocked at Jason being the NZ wildcard last year, but he didn't do too bad, and the alternative would have been to fly out someone for possibly only one round. This would have been unfair IMO and a logistic problem was solved.

By including Jason again as the WC it solves a problem, and gives NZ speedway a boost and publicity by having a regular NZ champion representing them instead of inferior riders. Hope he goes well and rewards the NZ fans.

• Like 2

Must admit I was shocked at Jason being the NZ wildcard last year, but he didn't do too bad, and the alternative would have been to fly out someone for possibly only one round. This would have been unfair IMO and a logistic problem was solved.

By including Jason again as the WC it solves a problem, and gives NZ speedway a boost and publicity by having a regular NZ champion representing them instead of inferior riders. Hope he goes well and rewards the NZ fans.

But all the riders are being flown out for "one round". Bunyans inclusion in my opinion does nothing for the credibility of the GP series. Batch would have been a far better choice.

But all the riders are being flown out for "one round". Bunyans inclusion in my opinion does nothing for the credibility of the GP series. Batch would have been a far better choice.

At least Jason is a decent advert for Speedway and as close as the Kiwis have to a local champion to cheer on, 7 or 8 times NZ champion and was not totally embarrassed in such company last year. Maybe Batch can have Wards place in the GP ?? Dependant on any future fall out from his latest antics.

I for one will be following Jasons progress with interest and pride that he represents NZ and the ROCKETS at this meeting.

Good Luck 'Bunny' for the GP and the season ahead.

Edited by bolly

An Ozzie representing NZ, you just don't understand what Sport means in this part of the World, you'd no doubt have Gollob riding for GB as he only lives a couple of hours away.

The UK- a land where anyone in the World can come and ponce off the State.

An Ozzie representing NZ, you just don't understand what Sport means in this part of the World, you'd no doubt have Gollob riding for GB as he only lives a couple of hours away.

The UK- a land where anyone in the World can come and ponce off the State.

Who said anything about representing NZ? Didn't Ward ride a round at Torun last year as a wildcard, and Vaculik took a wildcard somewhere too from memory.

So your saying it's ok to have a Pole or Aussie as wildcard at cardiff?

Would be fine by me.

Wouldn't bother me - They'd more than likely put as good as, if not better, showing than any Brit would.

Give the kid a break,the past is just that, we arent all angels are we, lets judge him on his riding ability, which is exciting to watch..

Chopper

I am a Newcastle fan but can't wait to see Tyson Nelson raceing in premier league again pity there isn't more like him give 110% every race great entertainment

Give the kid a break,the past is just that, we arent all angels are we, lets judge him on his riding ability, which is exciting to watch..

Chopper

and remind me, what credentials does "Batch" have for being a NZ GP wildcard?....just wondering like!...if it's because he's the Aussie Chump then Scott Hicholls has just as much credential.

fine, lets have a Welshman then.

The season starts next week, and we still have a month before our first meeting at Rye House ((( Bored bored bored :mad: