British Speedway Forum
Laura-Alice

Teaching Speedway!

I suppose the linked video, from Blue Peter in the early 70's (?), does make reference to "put a little bit of weight on the left leg" but clearly states that, rather than sitting during the bends, the weight should be on the footrest. Riding styles look considerably different these days though and I suspect the left leg is used far less...

• Like 1

gollob.jpg How does this work then . no feet down

gollob.jpg How does this work then . no feet down

It works quite simply. From the apex of a bend, particularly on a tight track the technique required change completely. It would take too long to explain and some know all know nothing type would only argue the point.

Dave, and others, are quite right, once too a certain standard the rider will have most of his weight on his right leg, more so on a small tight track, the bigger wider slicker ones allow for more weight to stay on the seat trying to keep some grip in the back wheel

Edited by oldace

Think back to when you were first learning to ride though Dave. Bet you used to put more weight on your left leg when entering a corner than later in your career when you were going faster.

I honestly never did - I was taught from day one to put as much weight on my right leg as possible. Considering I only ever bought 2 steel shoes the whole time I rode (and that was because I grew taller and my feet grew) that should prove a point in itself.

And for the record it was hardly a career haha :rofl:

I honestly never did - I was taught from day one to put as much weight on my right leg as possible. Considering I only ever bought 2 steel shoes the whole time I rode (and that was because I grew taller and my feet grew) that should prove a point in itself.

And for the record it was hardly a career haha :rofl:

But the point is you still need to put a small amount of weight on the left leg especially when learning. I've seen quite a few riders at amateur meetings trying to go into corners leg trailing and just fall off because they are not going fast enough.

• Like 1

But the point is you still need to put a small amount of weight on the left leg especially when learning. I've seen quite a few riders at amateur meetings trying to go into corners leg trailing and just fall off because they are not going fast enough.

Oh of course, you can't just start riding and throw your leg back straight away, in fact I never learned to do that. All I'm saying is that at no point was I ever told to put weight on that leg and I never did - Most of the time my foot was merely hovering about an inch or 2 off the track.

I have just for reference watched the video now, one thing I'm taking from it is how much I miss that sound :(

The riding style of speedway is clearly different today compared to back then so maybe that's where the discrepancy lies in this conversation.

I have seen an amateur do just that at a southern track meeting , Len Curley his name was . I don't think he ever quite got the hang of speedway and last I heard of him he was making pork pies .

• Like 2

Of course, if the bike is stationary then 100% of the wight would be needed on the left leg to allow it to be leaned over. As speed increases this percentage lowers until the point where a competent rider will put hardly any weight on it

Still refusing to watch the link then I see Dave of someone being taught how to slide.

You're using a video from the 1970s(?), it's hardly comparable to today.

I'm fairly certain that when I went to Scunthorpe that Wayne Carter told me to put my weight on my right leg and my left leg should really touch the floor and I shouldn't sit down either as when going into the bend you should actually have you body over the fuel tank so that their is as little weight on the back as possible to break traction. Tell you what though, trying to remember all that in the half a second you have going into the corner is impossible!

You're using a video from the 1970s(?), it's hardly comparable to today.

I'm fairly certain that when I went to Scunthorpe that Wayne Carter told me to put my weight on my right leg and my left leg should really touch the floor and I shouldn't sit down either as when going into the bend you should actually have you body over the fuel tank so that their is as little weight on the back as possible to break traction. Tell you what though, trying to remember all that in the half a second you have going into the corner is impossible!

Hope youve been practising/watching videos in preparation for a few weeks :D

Hope youve been practising/watching videos in preparation for a few weeks :D

I can watch all I want, I'll never be able to get rid of the sense of self presevation I have!

I can watch all I want, I'll never be able to get rid of the sense of self presevation I have!

I agree SCB - me too.

Regarding styles - surely folk are comparing Upright Engines to the newer Lay Downs. Different styles are required so comparisons, in the Riding sense , is impossible.

I STILL admire the courage of EVERYONE who throws their leg over a Speedway Bike - they have my utmost respect. From stuttering newcomer who gives it a try and packs it up, to the Top Liners - ALL of them have my admiration.

• Like 1

Yes but this time youll have a ex world ranked speedway rider with you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes but this time youll have a ex world ranked speedway rider with you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ex-world ranked indeed! For a rare glimpse at the man's talents SCB go to:

Or get changed the same time as he does! :wink::drink:

Edited by Bryn