British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Panthers 2013 Thread

Offered terms/contract = same thing.

Interesting that Barker doesn't seem to think so.

• Like 1

You, probably like me when I was still earning, only have one job. The men we're talking about already have two or three jobs within the EU without working in this country. In effect, they'd be asking the court to sanction their moonlighting and that's something I can't see being tackled with any haste.

But it's only opinion and we'll all know two or three years after a rider does take legal action against their parent promoter. Any bets who'll be first and when?

DON'T think it is like that. They only have one job... a speedway rider. In most if not all cases they are probably registered as a business. Joe Bloggs Racing ... who sell their product (themselves) where they can ... GB, Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, etc.

Preventing Joe Bloggs Racing from doing business in the UK, for example, could be construed as a restraint of trade.

• Like 2

Preventing Joe Bloggs Racing from doing business in the UK, for example, could be construed as a restraint of trade.

have you seen what terms are agreed between a rider and club when they sign as a asset

Interesting that Barker doesn't seem to think so.

Sorry BCD, didn't make that entirely clear. Terms and contract are effectively the same thing. But the terms have to be accepted/agreed before they become the contract.

Sorry BCD, didn't make that entirely clear. Terms and contract are effectively the same thing. But the terms have to be accepted/agreed before they become the contract.

So, basically, 'terms' can be offered to more riders than are offered 'contracts'. Which was the point of blupanther's post which you appeared to be contradicting with your 'same thing' reply.

• Like 1

For example: Ben Barker was offered "terms" by Mick Horton but these "terms" were not formulated into a contract therefore Ben has signed nothing.

Agreeing something in principle does not make it legally binding if there is no signature on the dotted line.

• Like 2

So how will Peterborough react now Swindon have asked for permission to speak to Kenneth Bjerre as well as Hans & Troy.

The plot thickens.

So how will Peterborough react now Swindon have asked for permission to speak to Kenneth Bjerre as well as Hans & Troy.

The plot thickens.

they'd probaly be refused ???

Then that really would be stupid & petty.

Yes but is the likely outcome

For example: Ben Barker was offered "terms" by Mick Horton but these "terms" were not formulated into a contract therefore Ben has signed nothing.

Agreeing something in principle does not make it legally binding if there is no signature on the dotted line.

Its got nothing to do with whats in writing, its do with what is in the minds of the parties. All a written contract does is remove any doubt or confusion about the terms of the contract.

As Midland Robin said terms and contract are effectively the same thing but payment has to be agreed.

Its got nothing to do with whats in writing, its do with what is in the minds of the parties. All a written contract does is remove any doubt or confusion about the terms of the contract.

As Midland Robin said terms and contract are effectively the same thing but payment has to be agreed.

A written contract is legally binding, a vebal agreement is legally binding although hard to prove without a witness. A conversation about terms is not legally binding, it is negoiation. Until both parties agree on terms in writing or verbally, it is not a contract.

Conversation may go something like:

Mick: Ben, I'd like to offer you a 2013 team spot and I'm willing to offer you £xxx per point.

Ben: That's great Mick, seems like a really good offer.

Ben: Hi Mick, Birmingham have changed their race night and I'd very much like it if you would grant permission for me to speak with them.

Mick: WHAT!!!!!! YOU SAID YOU WOULD RACE FOR COVENTRY!!! HOW VERY DARE YOU!!! YOU WILL BE IN MY TEAM FOR 2013!!!

Ben: But Mick, I never signed anything?!?

Mick: Doesn't matter!! You agreed terms with me, if you don't ride for me, I'm going to price you out of a deal so you can't ride for anyone and I don't care if I don't earn a loan fee for you!! See how those pesky Brummies like them apples!

Live in the real world, the contract is the legally binding agreement.

Or conversation may also go something like:

Mick: Ben, I'd like to offer you a 2013 team spot and I'm willing to offer you £xxx per point.

Ben: That's great Mick, you've got yourself a deal.

Graham Drury: Ben, Good news Birmingham have changed their race night so I can get you in the team after all.

Ben: Oh bugger, I've already agreed to ride for Coventry

Graham Drury: Oh dear, have you actually got anything in writing? Did you sign anything?

Ben: No. I just agreed it verbally.

Graham Drury: OK, well just deny everything. Say you never agreed, you were just thinking about it.

Of course I'm not suggesting anyone would do anything dishonest like that, but you invented a hypothetical conversation. I'm just demonstrating how easy it is to make up a different hypothetical conversation

Ben: That's great Mick, seems like a really good offer.

Ben: Hi Mick, Birmingham have changed their race night and I'd very much like it if you would grant permission for me to speak with them.

Mick: WHAT!!!!!! YOU SAID YOU WOULD RACE FOR COVENTRY!!! HOW VERY DARE YOU!!! YOU WILL BE IN MY TEAM FOR 2013!!!

Ben: But Mick, I never signed anything?!?

Mick: Doesn't matter!! You agreed terms with me, if you don't ride for me, I'm going to price you out of a deal so you can't ride for anyone and I don't care if I don't earn a loan fee for you!! See how those pesky Brummies like them apples!

Live in the real world, the contract is the legally binding agreement.

Where, in your scenario, has Ben agreed to accept the offer and that he'd ride for Coventry? He only stated it seemed a good offer. If that's binding then several riders a year agree to ride for more than one club.

• Like 1