Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Panthers 2013 Thread

Where, in your scenario, has Ben agreed to accept the offer and that he'd ride for Coventry? He only stated it seemed a good offer. If that's binding then several riders a year agree to ride for more than one club.

Correct.

Then that really would be stupid & petty.

Whch would be a bit rich coming from Swindon but would be somewhat comforting to be recognised as a feeder club to one of the minor clubs as we help them become more established.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

Or conversation may also go something like:

Mick: Ben, I'd like to offer you a 2013 team spot and I'm willing to offer you £xxx per point.

Ben: That's great Mick, you've got yourself a deal.

Graham Drury: Ben, Good news Birmingham have changed their race night so I can get you in the team after all.

Ben: Oh bugger, I've already agreed to ride for Coventry

Graham Drury: Oh dear, have you actually got anything in writing? Did you sign anything?

Ben: No. I just agreed it verbally.

Graham Drury: OK, well just deny everything. Say you never agreed, you were just thinking about it.

Of course I'm not suggesting anyone would do anything dishonest like that, but you invented a hypothetical conversation. I'm just demonstrating how easy it is to make up a different hypothetical conversation

It would have been a simple thing for Horton to e-mail Barker a copy of the contract and ask Barker to e-mail his confirmation by return. Pretty much standard business practice, would have taken minutes to do and removed any doubt. Its difficult to understand why a businessman like Mick Horton would not do something like that.

It would have been a simple thing for Horton to e-mail Barker a copy of the contract and ask Barker to e-mail his confirmation by return. Pretty much standard business practice, would have taken minutes to do and removed any doubt. Its difficult to understand why a businessman like Mick Horton would not do something like that.

by text is even quicker!! :D

• Like 1

Where, in your scenario, has Ben agreed to accept the offer and that he'd ride for Coventry? He only stated it seemed a good offer. If that's binding then several riders a year agree to ride for more than one club.

Precisely my point. Mick Horton is the one who is stating Ben has agreed to ride for them but he is yet to produce any form of contractual agreement.

Unless Ben has signed on the dotted line, there is no agreement despite what Mick might think.

Or conversation may also go something like:

Mick: Ben, I'd like to offer you a 2013 team spot and I'm willing to offer you £xxx per point.

Ben: That's great Mick, you've got yourself a deal.

Graham Drury: Ben, Good news Birmingham have changed their race night so I can get you in the team after all.

Ben: Oh bugger, I've already agreed to ride for Coventry

Graham Drury: Oh dear, have you actually got anything in writing? Did you sign anything?

Ben: No. I just agreed it verbally.

Graham Drury: OK, well just deny everything. Say you never agreed, you were just thinking about it.

Of course I'm not suggesting anyone would do anything dishonest like that, but you invented a hypothetical conversation. I'm just demonstrating how easy it is to make up a different hypothetical conversation

Absolutely agreed, however, if Mick can produce a contract with Ben's signature then all will be resolved.

Edited by Mini Jack

Unless Ben has signed on the dotted line, there is no agreement despite what Mick might think.

A verbal contract is just as binding as a written one. (Though it is obviously difficult to prove if one party later denies it).

If that's how he conducts business or doesn't for that matter then he is in for a rough ride.

A verbal contract is just as binding as a written one. (Though it is obviously difficult to prove if one party later denies it).

Proving the agreement is Mick's problem.

Providing all terms and conditions have been reached and agreed regarding services and terms of pay. The agreement would be be incomplete when there are still further terms and conditions to be agreed. Agreements in principle will not usually be upheld in court and will not usually be considered complete.

If it was just a quick conversation then I doubt very much that it will stand, it is up to Mick to prove that Ben agreed in full.

yep , in horse racing k fallon had a verbal agreement to ride a certain horse in the derby , he then decided he wanted to ride something else, the owners off the horse who he had the verbal agreemen with took him to court and the judged ruled in there favour he wasn't allowed to ride the other horse Edited by hans fan

yep , in horse racing k fallon had a verbal agreement to ride a certain horse in the derby , he then decided he wanted to ride something else, the owners off the horse who he had the verbal agreement took him to court and the judged ruled in there favour he wasn't allowed to ride the other horse

Up to Mick then to decide if he has enough evidence to confirm his "verbal agreement" with Ben is legally binding. Like I said, all the i's need to have been dotted and the t's crossed, of course, witnesses would have helped.

Apologies Panthers fans for hijacking the thread.

Edited by Mini Jack

Up to Mick then to decide if he has enough evidence to confirm his "verbal agreement" with Ben is legally binding. Like I said, all the i's need to have been dotted and the t's crossed, of course, witnesses would have helped.

the thing is none of us know what actually is written when a rider signs a contract,people keeping banging on a restraint of trade and stuff, but we simply don't what they've signed

Correct, he would need witnesses to confirm this verbal agreement. Also, would it be wise to include a rider who clearly wants away. The system is clearly not working in the present financial climate. Time to scrap the asset system and make riders free agents to sign 1 or 2yr contracts, with a loan fee system for assets that were purchased, winding down to a time when the purchase fees have been recouped. Freeing up transfer and loan fee monies would surely ensure the future of domestic speedway, which is what we all want.

Why are we discussing this? The BSPA have ruled that if you want to use Ben then you have to buy him. Doesnt matter who said what now.

• Like 1

Speedwaygp site,says Swindon put in 2nd offer for Hans.(first one rejected). Also they want to speak with KB,if Hans stays a Panther.

Speedwaygp site,says Swindon put in 2nd offer for Hans.(first one rejected). Also they want to speak with KB,if Hans stays a Panther.

They do like the Swindon Panthers tag don't they!

Are they going to buy Bjerre because he'll come more expensive than our valuation of Hans which I doubt they've got anywhere near, or do they want another cheap loan deal of our assets?

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

I agree.

Hans & KB have the same average. Also Gary P says that KB is a good rider.

Looks like they are determined to have one of the other of OUR riders.