British Speedway Forum
Cornishman

Very Disappointed With.....

...the lack of RICO tributes/mentions at tonight's gp. Not so much as a minutes silence/applause, let alone a tribute. A brief mention of the shirts in the interval was all we heard all night.

I thought with it being the first British gp since the death of one of our top riders, we could at least show our respect to Lee.

Full credit to Freya and the ladies selling the shirts though, must have been thousands in the stadium wearing them :-)

Edited by Cornishman
  • Like 5

Dont agree.

This was a British Grand Prix months after the loss of Lee and think it would have been wrong to do a minutes silence so long after the event.

#Rico shirts worn by a large number of fans was all that was needed here and well done to all those who did.

• Like 5

The title is a bit strong don't you think mate? By all means air your views on Rico, but as pointed out, a silence for Lee has taken place at many events around Europe, it doesn't mean that we don't think of Lee and his family any less if there wasn't one at the GP last night because we don't. He'll always be in our thoughts.

Just out of interest, was there any notes on the shirts and Lee in the race programme?

It was mentioned during the Sky coverage,Ermolenko said that money was being raised with the t-shirt selling.

I get what you say,but we all paid respect to the memory of Lee at meetings in the days after his accident,IMO the many people wearing the RICO t-shirts was tribute enough on the occasion.

• Like 1

In all respect, and of course I don't know for sure, but I'd suspect his family are trying to move on and it could have opened up old wounds. As I say I don't know for sure.

It has been a while since the event and I'd suggest we should be celebrating his life at this stage, not grieving.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 1

They had a one-minute silence for Lee at the Steady testimonial at Blunsdon just a week before, and left the number 9 race-jacket vacant as that was the number he was given when accepting the booking before his death. They could have done more last night agreed.

I was a little disappointed I was under the impression there was going to be a white out for Rico# but couldn't really see one at all.

I don't think there should have been a minutes silence they have already done this in various stadiums around the country and it has been months since the tragedy I think people are trying to get to grips with it now and move on as hard as it maybe.

I would approximate someone in one in 4 or one in 5 had Rico T-shirts on, i.e. around 7000-8000 people. Not a bad number considering a lot of non-regular fans attend Cardiff.

As for the minute's silence, it was observed at the GP following his death. That was the right time for it.

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

I would approximate someone in one in 4 or one in 5 had Rico T-shirts on, i.e. around 7000-8000 people. Not a bad number considering a lot of non-regular fans attend Cardiff.

As for the minute's silence, it was observed at the GP following his death. That was the right time for it.

All the best

Rob

Would go for about 1 in 8 Rob but it was still impressive. We and thousands of others would have been wearing the wristbands as well.

Yes I agree a minutes silence wasn't necessary, I was just using that as an example to the fact that nothing at all was done by the organisers.

A short film or something before the meeting surely would have gone down well with everyone? If it wasn't for the fact that some speedway fans had put together the white shirt thing it would have probably gone pretty much unmentioned!

I just feel that some sort of small tribute should have been made, with it being the first British gp since he died. Maybe re showing the 2004 final or something on the big screens

Edited by Cornishman

OK maybe they could have done it a little better (I like the idea of a brief tribute film played on the large screens) but this thread is over dramatic. There were three full pages devoted to Lee in the programme (plus a full page advert)

• Like 3

OK maybe they could have done it a little better (I like the idea of a brief tribute film played on the large screens) but this thread is over dramatic. There were three full pages devoted to Lee in the programme (plus a full page advert)

I UNDERSTAND that they sold out of Rico tee-shirts quite early in the day. All the GP riders signed numerous copies of the book dedicated to Lee and other items to help raise money for the fund set up in his name. There was also a box for Emma at the Millennium.

Do think heading is a bit dramatic.

However feel for lees family as his wife emma has said on twitter:

Fabulous Hospitality last night. Dissapointed more wasnt said or done for #RICO

So fans are not alone in their disappointment

Fine I'll change the title :lol:

It was written late into the night after a few beverages to be fair so I must have been feeling dramatic :lol:

But my sentiment remains the same. And it doesn't surprise me to see Emma's post on twitter with a similar message

• Like 1