British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manchesterpaul

Cut-off Victims And Thieves! Projected Points

Five day forecast shows it as bright and dry in the east of England on Thursday.

Friday in the east of Scotland looks a little unsettled.

Oh dear!!

Five day forecast shows it as bright and dry in the east of England on Thursday.

Oh dear!!

Hmmm! not sure how contructive a reply that is in response to the post below. Also what have 'forecasts' got to do with anything. I've already mentioned it's not predictive, it's a portrayal of how teams stand at that moment in time.

Surely a monthly post that has Rye House in the top five teams for most of the year, unlike the MIniMax tables, are candidates for 'nonsense posts of the year'?. I hope that that particular system catches up soon only i notice that Rye House are now finally in the actual current league table in 12th position (which also has now caught up with the MIniMax).

Not sure what you perceive as nonsense when the MiniMax tables year after year give a clear and true indication of how teams actually stand for a long time before the actual tables do, and a very long time - not far off the end of season - before other 'systems' do.

All it needs is a glance and you can see where teams stand.

In case you failed to see this post below i reproduce it as in my opinion i reckon it applies once more.

Always nice to see someone putting an effort into a post for debate. Matters not a jot whether people agree or disagree. There's nothing more childish and damning in displaying a lack of intellect when inane non-constructive replies are added to a thread.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Hmmm! not sure how contructive a reply that is in response to the post below. Also what have 'forecasts' got to do with anything. I've already mentioned it's not predictive, it's a portrayal of how teams stand at that moment in time.

In case you failed to see this post below i reproduce it as in my opinion i reckon it applies once more.

My post was purely in relation to the weather and the likelyhood or otherwise of this weeks fixtures taking place.

I think your tables are great and agree they a true reflection of a teams performances.

I think your tables are great and agree they a true reflection of a teams performances.

I think your weather forecast is great! hee hee hee. OK enough lol.

I've already mentioned it's not predictive,

Yeah, sorry your right.....it's not predictive....it's projected...what does that mean?? :)

Oh dear!!

In Manchester it's dull with spells of hot air......that's projected only mind and not predicted.... Only joking Paula keep up the good work :)

Yeah, sorry your right.....it's not predictive....it's projected...what does that mean?? :)

In Manchester it's dull with spells of hot air......that's projected only mind and not predicted.... Only joking Paula keep up the good work :)

Give 'em enough rope and.........

... Leicester who now dont know whether they are saturday or sunday but no surprise there!!

In response to your sarcasm Leicester are a Saturday track who because they are the new kids on the block have to defer to the other longer standing Saturday members and as a result sometimes have to ride on a Sunday in order to have a fixture

In response to your sarcasm Leicester are a Saturday track who because they are the new kids on the block have to defer to the other longer standing Saturday members and as a result sometimes have to ride on a Sunday in order to have a fixture

absolutely.......as it was last season and will be next. You Lions are very touchy any dig and you jump. Mildenhall thought you were a saturday track as well but thats for another thread.

World has gone mad....someone slags off your years work in the minibarrowboy tables and instead of kicking the bllix out of him you get upset at a jokey remark.Get a grip here :blink::rofl:

Edited by iris123

absolutely.......as it was last season and will be next. You Lions are very touchy any dig and you jump. Mildenhall thought you were a saturday track as well but thats for another thread.

I also want to say that your comments were made in a thread concerning teams who are playing catchup which has nothing to do with Leicester who have already completed their home programme and are now just waiting for others to host their 3 remaining away matches.

World has gone mad....someone slags of your years work in the minibarrowboy tables and instead of kicking the bllix out of him you get upset at a jokey remark.Get a grip here :blink::rofl:

I have not been upset at all I just felt that there was no need for Seanmuffe to imply that Leicester were messing other tracks around when they are clearly not and I did not post as such as a result of being upset because others believe that their ways of forcasting are better than mine. Each to his or her own.

World has gone mad....someone slags off your years work in the minibarrowboy tables and instead of kicking the bllix out of him you get upset at a jokey remark.Get a grip here :blink::rofl:

I've mentioned several times in the past all credit to barrow boy for doing something on behalf of fans. I only pointed out that with just a little more effort they could be improved and not be a meaningless blind printing out of the plus/minus points. Without additional info being shown they can't have any substance.

I have not been upset at all I just felt that there was no need for Seanmuffe to imply that Leicester were messing other tracks around when they are clearly not and I did not post as such as a result of being upset because others believe that their ways of forcasting are better than mine. Each to his or her own.

Barrow Boy it's not a question of merely 'believing' that one system is better than the other. I have in a forum thread in the past and on the MiniMax webpage explained why the MiniMax ones 'are' very useful and more accurate over other systems. I won't bother reproducing here as the reasoning and explanation is on the MiniMax league tables page http://speedway.manc...et/leagues.html

As with for example with racecards i couldn't agree more with you on the each to his or her own. Even with an awful racecard if people prefer it and download then well 100% perfectly fine and great for all concerned.

Lol i for one certainly wouldn't have expected you to get upset at someone presenting valid reasons for stating that one system (MiniMax) is superior to another (plus/minus). Presumably, you'd just reply with counter arguments or not as you may wish, all cool.

I would ask you though that surely you must see how inaccurate they have been all season long with Rye House just being a single example?. Anyways no problem and good for you that you make the effort.

Edited by manchesterpaul

I also want to say that your comments were made in a thread concerning teams who are playing catchup which has nothing to do with Leicester who have already completed their home programme and are now just waiting for others to host their 3 remaining away matches.

If that is true congratulations because you will probably be the only one!!!

Trouble is because of my quip you missed the point i was trying to make which was these extra fixtures are difficult to arrange because we are operating a four day week track. Quite happy to have a pop at Leicester or anybody for that matter but i was trying to highlight the problems we have surrounding fixtures at the moment which is everybody's problem or could be soon.

No intention to suggest that Leicester were causing problems in this respect was meant implied or otherwise.

If that is true congratulations because you will probably be the only one!!!

Trouble is because of my quip you missed the point i was trying to make which was these extra fixtures are difficult to arrange because we are operating a four day week track. Quite happy to have a pop at Leicester or anybody for that matter but i was trying to highlight the problems we have surrounding fixtures at the moment which is everybody's problem or could be soon.

No intention to suggest that Leicester were causing problems in this respect was meant implied or otherwise.

Now that you have clarified that your views were of a general nature I apologise for misunderstanding you.

I would ask you though that surely you must see how inaccurate they have been all season long with Rye House just being a single example?. Anyways no problem and good for you that you make the effort.

My thread is entitled 'As It Stands' and until quite recently Rye House stood in a play off position and if all teams from then on gained maximum home points and gained none away they would certainly end up in the play offs. As you know some teams will however win away and others will lose at home which is the nature of the game and none more so than Rye House who have suffered 2 home defeats to drop them down the current form table as it now stands. At the end of the season my +/- chart will definitely reflect the actual finishing order which I am happy to continue with. As I have already said you do it your way and I will do it mine and I object to you suggesting in a earlier post that my reports ought to be better considered to qualify for the best rubbish posts because my charts are always accurate and truly reflect real league positions 'As It Stands'

Firstly i'll try and pre-empt those who trawl the forums with pointless non-constructive posts who AS OF RIGHT NOW (lol lol lol) have surpassed their cerebral capacity of reading a post more than a few words long. It's a discussion forum and as such civil and level-headed topics stretch to......shock! horror!......more than a couple of paragraphs. Also bold and capitalizised text is used for visually stressing specific points only. Ok on to the response.....

Barrow Boy on that logic you might as well save yourself time and work and publish your tables ONCE a season and only after all the matches have been completed. Your last sentence totally illustrates that. You are resorting to a play on words to define it reflects them as they 'really' stand.

The reason why i suggest only showing them come the final table is because your tables in effect add asolutely nothing to the comprehension of how teams are accurately truly performing at a competitive level - which is the whole purpose of the MiniMax tables.

The plus/minus tables heavily and falsely distort a team's standing merely on grounds of how fortunate a team has been to race home matches more than away matches, ESPECIALLY SO if a team is poor on their travels.

It's a bit like when Sky in their league broadcasts refer to a team for a good two thirds of the season as being in the play off chase just because they stand fourth in the table. Yet if that team is useless away from home and the vast majority of their points have come from having ridden a lot more home matches than anyone else then in reality it's a false claim. 'Trick Tracks' (and normal) in both leagues have often tended to pile home matches in early and gain a good visual placing in the league. Maybe certain promotions with regularly weak teams do this in order to gain publicity appearing to be an attraction to floating fans or non-followers of the sport. However it's only those who have little intellect and take the bare league table OR the plus/minus table at blind face value who crucially can't see the wood for the trees.

Many other forms of media both within and outside of the sport are laughably only now coming to see who in the Elite League have been the 'Great Pretenders' all season.They are only now catching sight of the true contenders finally rising up the table. The MiniMax tables across the leagues have been displaying clearly for months as to who is genuinely involved in the play-off chases......HAVE THE PLUS/MINUS TABLES BEEN SHOWING THE SAME??? and if not, which they sooooo haven't, what is the point in publishing them when they serve no additional insight to a bare league table. Too be honest in the way you present them so bare and devoid of surrounding basic qualifying stats they can ONLY serve to DISTORT!

I reiterate the MiniMax tables year after year give a clear and true indication of how teams actually stand (in a true reflection of sporting performance level) for a long time before the actual tables do, and a very long time - not far off the end of season - before other 'systems' do. If we were talking about football such tables wouldn't make any great difference but in a sport such as speedway where home and away performances differ so drastically it matters a lot.

You may think that one can look at a standard league table and say that a team which has ridden far less matches let's you know that they are of higher standard than their position implies. However, using the MiniMax projected points calculation on the home and away performances gives a more accurate representation. I mean if a team has seven matches in hand their likely end of season total will be enormously different depending on them being seven home or seven away fixtures to take place. The MiniMax tables will show that NOW, the plus/minus table will only show that near or at the END of the season, begging the question what is their purpose?.

Sorry if you took offence at the wording of part of my earlier reply, however at the time i was responding direct in kind - as in using their terminology - to a non-constructive post that simply hurled an insult. I have mentioned that i'm only presenting valid reasons for stating that one system (MiniMax) IS mathematically superior to another (plus/minus). The latter merely consists of a bare print-out of facts totally devoid of any meaningful parameters. I'd presume that a reply would consist of counter arguments or not but i see your reply seems only to present a play on words regarding the term 'how they really stand'.

It's no biggie and i'm certainly not 'arguing' as such over the whole matter, nor am intending to upset anybody and obviously am not remotely upset over anything myself lol. I merely wanted to address a non-constructive claim that the Minimax were nonsense and i only initially referred to the plus/minus as a comparison. As far as i'm concerned all the best to you and merrily continue publishing away with no harm at all to anyone, well except for giving false hopes to their team being in a non-existent position of challenging for a play-off place or title lol ;) For those that enjoy looking at the tables well absolutely all good there too. Personally myself i am very bemused at how they can be treated as having a meaningful purpose for the reasons stated above and i expanded on the reasons on the MiniMax league table web page.

Edited by manchesterpaul