British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Rye House V Redcar 8/9/12

tomorrow evening sees redcar visit the launch pad, it has the makings of another close match at rye. the weather is set fair, so all you rockets fans get yourself down there to support your team. they need you!

tomorrow evening sees redcar visit the launch pad, it has the makings of another close match at rye. the weather is set fair, so all you rockets fans get yourself down there to support your team. they need you!

I'd usually be confident of a fairly easy time against Redcar, but with the current line up who knows?

I presume Ben Morley will again deputise for Jason Garrity

Josh Grajczonek has proved to be a more than capable guest for Charlie, so I'm fairly confident of a home win, but it will be close and it won't be easy.

Barring any mast minute hitches I'll be there, with the GP on Sky+

Edited by Shadders

I'll be going too, however judging by tonights performance and last weeks home defeat I am less confident of a home win. Need to bounce back.

I'll be going too, however judging by tonights performance and last weeks home defeat I am less confident of a home win. Need to bounce back.

In tonight's 'wooden spoon challenge match' Rye House need a three point win to guarantee they will not finish bottom of the PL. This will take them one point ahead of Sheffield who have completed their league fixtures.

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the updates site? If so, could you please either leave a message here or send me an email or pm.

Thanks

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the updates site? If so, could you please either leave a message here or send me an email or pm.

Thanks

Covered

As an average lowering exercise tonight was a great success. I don't remember such a poor performance against a side we would have put to bed a couple of years ago. We've gone from a team of gating tarts to one that can't gate at all.

Blink and you could be at Rye House circa 1992... Shocking!

As an average lowering exercise tonight was a great success. I don't remember such a poor performance against a side we would have put to bed a couple of years ago. We've gone from a team of gating tarts to one that can't gate at all.

Awful result from a woeful team. Well done to Redcar, but still no replacement for 747 is nothing short of a disgrace now the team is struggling this badly. I can only imagine the crowd was very low for this one.

Awful result from a woeful team. Well done to Redcar, but still no replacement for 747 is nothing short of a disgrace now the team is struggling this badly. I can only imagine the crowd was very low for this one.

Lower than previous few weeks JC. Can only get worse now we're at the fag end of the season with only another home defeat to Edinburgh and meaningless challenge meetings to look forward to, not to mention the crappy Ace of Herts with its token fireworks to make up for the lack of firepower on the track.

Don't think I've felt this low about a Rockets side since the early 90's.

Once again a guest is our best performer. Anders was unlucky with an ef and a dodgy looking exclusion from where I was watching. The rest of em can go and do one. That's just not good enough, sorry!

Edited by Shadders

Thought we would struggle, but not by this much. Bit of a come back but false horizon.

Kasper can't gate (still) and has lost the art of overtaking too. How does he manage to fail at the gate every time ? Is it curable ? Why the extra laps at the end ? I know he is one for the future but would like to see some progress...just a bit.

Lambert, well he did well in one heat but no longterm place in the team thank-you. Bunyan up and down. Ben ? - all been said before and I feel even with Garrity back in team I still think we would have been too weak for Redcar tonight.

Josh a good guest and some gutsy riding in places. Anders also strong when equipment allowed. Can't win with only 2 riders.

One home fixture left now against Edinburgh - looks like a big fat zero too. Roll-on Ace of Herts !

Roll-on Ace of Herts !

Unless you're a fan of fireworks this is a nothing meeting. Ridiculous format with an uninspiring line up usually.

• Like 2

Oh. Thought it would be better then the crap we saw tonight. I guess it will depend if we get a quality line-up.....probably not. Come on Shads need something to look forward to ! 2013 is a long way off.

Well done to the the team at a track we have struggled at since our return in 2006.

49-44 to the Rockets in 2009 when Havvy got 17. And 49-42 to the Rockets in 2007, when Matty Tres failed to arrive, being our previous bests at Hoddesdon by the Bears.

10 heat winners and all 4 points so we cannot be crowned wooden spoonist's for the 2nd time in 3 years.

If we were to bring in a replacement for Jade, we could surprise a few in the 7/12 trophy.

We have up to 4.72 to tweek the team before the cut off date for replacement's.

Edited by simmo1958

It really is fascinating how someone who has attached themselves to speedway for so long can have so little clue about the sport, even if the first line was meant as (lame) humour.

You really have it in for the Ron Russell era. As someone who worked damn hard to help Ron keep the place open it really is a kick in the teeth to hear your constant whinging about that difficult time.

Looking back I really wish I hadn't bothered now. It's hard to work out though whether I regret getting involved in that period more than helping Steve Ribbons revive the team in 1999. To be honest it's now become a very close-run thing.

To me, Rye House has always been a difficult track to promote. The stadium is simply the wrong size and shape to create a decent speedway track, It's in a part of Hoddesdon that always had a poor reputation locally, making it very hard to sell to local businesses and it's right next to a river that for years caused havoc over flooding and drainage. I don't think that many tracks had the water coming up from below. It looks like Len has done his expert best to get round these problems, but then he gets slated for the tracks that he lays.

Success at Rye House never seems to last and it looks like the cycle is heading downwards again. Sadly Ron bought it as it was spiralling down in the eighties and was unable to pull it round.

I made some very good friends at Rye House but they weren't like the people I see spouting-off about the Rockets here. Strangely I have no memory of ever meeting you.It's probably the best move I made to get out when Len resumed control in 2000. I have high respect for him but could not ever work with those who he surrounds himself with. Seeing what happened to Steve Ribbons proved me right there.

I remember walking into Rye House back in 1974 after Rayleigh's closure wondering just what the hell we'd done to deserve what had happened to us.

I'm sure that some of you may have worked out who I am from recent posts, especially the above. I ceased posting as rmc partly because I was writing for Backtrack and thought it best to be more discreet. What was the clincher was seeing the utter garbage written in the BSF about the Coventry & Peterborough fiasco of 2010/11 . I really didn't want to be associated with it and in fact walked away from speedway totally until the very end of last season.

It's all academic really because I'm ready to walk away again, probably for good this time. The space for reasoned discussion in the BSF is now so minute and so many decent contributors have either left or become silent that it really has become an unpleasant task to filter out the bull to find the few facts.

It's easier to walk away when I see the comments you've been making.

Actually, the big mistake was following Rayleigh to Hertfordshire. I used to be so proud to be a Rocket. People like you make me ashamed.

Keep talking about the food, it's much safer territory.

Anyway, time for me to go. I only made a very small contribution to speedway but I did my bit. As you so readily point out what I and others did just wasn't good enough was it?

Apologies for trying to help the sport but it really doesn't want to be helped does it?

Rob McCaffery

For a few years a speedway commentator, occasional writer, 30 years a Rockets supporter, and at one time proud to be meeting announcer and presenter at Rye House. What a waste of time it all seems now....

• Like 2