British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Rye House V Redcar 8/9/12

I make no apologies for being a passionate supporter. Unlike you I can't claim to have inside knowledge of the ins and outs of Rye House, but as someone who has spend thousands of pounds and the majority of my life following Rye House home and away since 1985 I feel I have the right to an opinion. Perhaps a knee jerk reaction to an embarrassing home defeat, but that's me, I'll not change.

You're lucky man, I envy you being able to walk away, I can't. Rye House is part of my life. I can't imagine a day when I'll not be able to pitch up and watch speedway at Hoddesdon. I don't even want to think about it.

Well, goodbye, I hope you enjoy your retirement from speedway. Just for the record, I have no idea if we've met. I've never heard of you.

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 1

Unless you're a fan of fireworks this is a nothing meeting. Ridiculous format with an uninspiring line up usually.

for me the worst meeting of the season year in year out. Especially the naff cheap formula

It really is fascinating how someone who has attached themselves to speedway for so long can have so little clue about the sport, even if the first line was meant as (lame) humour.

You really have it in for the Ron Russell era. As someone who worked damn hard to help Ron keep the place open it really is a kick in the teeth to hear your constant whinging about that difficult time.

Looking back I really wish I hadn't bothered now. It's hard to work out though whether I regret getting involved in that period more than helping Steve Ribbons revive the team in 1999. To be honest it's now become a very close-run thing.

To me, Rye House has always been a difficult track to promote. The stadium is simply the wrong size and shape to create a decent speedway track, It's in a part of Hoddesdon that always had a poor reputation locally, making it very hard to sell to local businesses and it's right next to a river that for years caused havoc over flooding and drainage. I don't think that many tracks had the water coming up from below. It looks like Len has done his expert best to get round these problems, but then he gets slated for the tracks that he lays.

Success at Rye House never seems to last and it looks like the cycle is heading downwards again. Sadly Ron bought it as it was spiralling down in the eighties and was unable to pull it round.

I made some very good friends at Rye House but they weren't like the people I see spouting-off about the Rockets here. Strangely I have no memory of ever meeting you.It's probably the best move I made to get out when Len resumed control in 2000. I have high respect for him but could not ever work with those who he surrounds himself with. Seeing what happened to Steve Ribbons proved me right there.

I remember walking into Rye House back in 1974 after Rayleigh's closure wondering just what the hell we'd done to deserve what had happened to us.

I'm sure that some of you may have worked out who I am from recent posts, especially the above. I ceased posting as rmc partly because I was writing for Backtrack and thought it best to be more discreet. What was the clincher was seeing the utter garbage written in the BSF about the Coventry & Peterborough fiasco of 2010/11 . I really didn't want to be associated with it and in fact walked away from speedway totally until the very end of last season.

It's all academic really because I'm ready to walk away again, probably for good this time. The space for reasoned discussion in the BSF is now so minute and so many decent contributors have either left or become silent that it really has become an unpleasant task to filter out the bull to find the few facts.

It's easier to walk away when I see the comments you've been making.

Actually, the big mistake was following Rayleigh to Hertfordshire. I used to be so proud to be a Rocket. People like you make me ashamed.

Keep talking about the food, it's much safer territory.

Anyway, time for me to go. I only made a very small contribution to speedway but I did my bit. As you so readily point out what I and others did just wasn't good enough was it?

Apologies for trying to help the sport but it really doesn't want to be helped does it?

Rob McCaffery

For a few years a speedway commentator, occasional writer, 30 years a Rockets supporter, and at one time proud to be meeting announcer and presenter at Rye House. What a waste of time it all seems now....

Never have i read such a load of rubbish. Funny how you attacked me for hiding behind an alias and here you are having abandonned RMC. I have supported Rye since 76 don't recall ever Seeing you at an away match and yet you are giving a tonking to shadders who i don't know but do see regularly, one of a few i hasten to add that does put his money where his mouth is and travel to support the rockets. This season has been poor by Len Silver standards but as poor as it has been it cannot rival the depression that Russell bought to our club. As for the Hoddesdon area what a snobbish comment you make but then again an unsurprising one given the way you bored the pants off of the Rye faithful every week during your overly long stint as announcer.

Also unsurprising is your return to posting drivel just amazed it took you so long. Here you are using a new monika have you still got me barred from contacting you as you cowardly did during your last stint on the forum. Do the regular contributors a favour and dont return, walk away from Rye...thought you did that years ago

Harry ward...see no alias

Rye should be one of the easiest tracks in the country to promote. A massive untapped potential fan base all across Hertfordshire. I live around twenty minutes from Hoddesdon and have never seen so much as a leaflet locally.

In the right hands, someone like Jonathan Chapman for example Rye could be the best supported club in the country.

Lower than previous few weeks JC. Can only get worse now we're at the fag end of the season with only another home defeat to Edinburgh and meaningless challenge meetings to look forward to, not to mention the crappy Ace of Herts with its token fireworks to make up for the lack of firepower on the track.

Don't think I've felt this low about a Rockets side since the early 90's.

Once again a guest is our best performer. Anders was unlucky with an ef and a dodgy looking exclusion from where I was watching. The rest of em can go and do one. That's just not good enough, sorry!

The worrying thing is that all of the signs were there at the start of the season, Mellgren only arrived having become available by chance, but this team always looked weak.

It really is fascinating how someone who has attached themselves to speedway for so long can have so little clue about the sport, even if the first line was meant as (lame) humour.

You really have it in for the Ron Russell era. As someone who worked damn hard to help Ron keep the place open it really is a kick in the teeth to hear your constant whinging about that difficult time.

Looking back I really wish I hadn't bothered now. It's hard to work out though whether I regret getting involved in that period more than helping Steve Ribbons revive the team in 1999. To be honest it's now become a very close-run thing.

To me, Rye House has always been a difficult track to promote. The stadium is simply the wrong size and shape to create a decent speedway track, It's in a part of Hoddesdon that always had a poor reputation locally, making it very hard to sell to local businesses and it's right next to a river that for years caused havoc over flooding and drainage. I don't think that many tracks had the water coming up from below. It looks like Len has done his expert best to get round these problems, but then he gets slated for the tracks that he lays.

Success at Rye House never seems to last and it looks like the cycle is heading downwards again. Sadly Ron bought it as it was spiralling down in the eighties and was unable to pull it round.

I made some very good friends at Rye House but they weren't like the people I see spouting-off about the Rockets here. Strangely I have no memory of ever meeting you.It's probably the best move I made to get out when Len resumed control in 2000. I have high respect for him but could not ever work with those who he surrounds himself with. Seeing what happened to Steve Ribbons proved me right there.

I remember walking into Rye House back in 1974 after Rayleigh's closure wondering just what the hell we'd done to deserve what had happened to us.

I'm sure that some of you may have worked out who I am from recent posts, especially the above. I ceased posting as rmc partly because I was writing for Backtrack and thought it best to be more discreet. What was the clincher was seeing the utter garbage written in the BSF about the Coventry & Peterborough fiasco of 2010/11 . I really didn't want to be associated with it and in fact walked away from speedway totally until the very end of last season.

It's all academic really because I'm ready to walk away again, probably for good this time. The space for reasoned discussion in the BSF is now so minute and so many decent contributors have either left or become silent that it really has become an unpleasant task to filter out the bull to find the few facts.

Actually, the big mistake was following Rayleigh to Hertfordshire. I used to be so proud to be a Rocket. People like you make me ashamed.

Anyway, time for me to go. I only made a very small contribution to speedway but I did my bit. As you so readily point out what I and others did just wasn't good enough was it?

Apologies for trying to help the sport but it really doesn't want to be helped does it?

Rob McCaffery

For a few years a speedway commentator, occasional writer, 30 years a Rockets supporter, and at one time proud to be meeting announcer and presenter at Rye House. What a waste of time it all seems now....

Sorry but I'm missing the part of this post in which you've backed up your big headed claims you know more about speedway than everyone else here.

Give me a camera and mic I'll be a speedway commentator, get me in the box I'll be an announcer/presenter. Give me enough money I'll buy the club but that doesn't make me any better than anyone else and it doesn't need any skill to do.

Some of the drivel you've spouted above is down right disrespectful to the true Rye House fans, we all disagree but at the end of the day we want the best for our club, even Chris! Although I guess if you weren't there at Rayleigh you don't count as a true fan in your view?

THE most worrying thing is that all of this is starting to have that "the club wont be around much longer" feel to it. Everyone is bitterly disappointed by this years team and subsequent performances, and the way the club has moved in the transfer market lately feels like a club that is no longer going to push the boat out (Simon Lambert....really?????) . But in truth there are so many factors involved in the way things have turned out. People support a winning team, so after our glory era 2005-2007 the team has slowly started to slide and as a result attendance figures have done the same. As a businessman youre not going to spend beyond your means so if income from gate receipts is down, youre going to cut your cloth accordingly. It just seems like a vicious circle though. Crowd goes down, spend less on team, crowd goes down some more, spend even less on team until there can only be one outcome, end of team. For what its worth I'll say this. Every promoter is going to do certain things at times that upset fans, it happens up and down the country. But Len breathed new life into rye house at the turn of the millenium and after a few years even delivered the much sought after trophies that we all craved. He bought the stadium, made slow, but steady improvements and now it all seems to be going a bit backwards, which given the way Len went about things in the first decade of this recent era seems a bit strange, and a little worrying if you ask me. If Len has had enough or feels that its time for him to finish his involvment in speedway, who is going to take over? The last thing we want is a fly by night Colin Horton type!!

We all know times are hard at Rye House & Len is "cutting his cloth accordingly" (Red Dan), but I need some help in understanding the stadium 50/50 raffle?

My interpretation in that of all the tickets sold, 50% goes into the rider pot & the other 50% is the prize to the lucky ticket holder.

Last night for instance, I bought tickets, both blue & yellow (2 books being used along side each other), so I get strips with the number begining 661. All ok there.

The wining ticket begins with the number 161 (woo hoo) and is paid out £75 winnings. Is this correct or should it have been more?

Awful season that started at Ipswich losing Neath and has got steadly worse.

Lows - loss of Neath and Bowen through career threatening injuries.

Retirements from Frampton and Hawkins - whats that all about??

No show from Nelson and the gall of the management to keep trotting out garbage about the "incorrect "form filling is just unbelievable.

Yes some bad luck but also some strange stuff going on behind the scenes.

What could give us hope for the future - sign Robert Lambert !

Rob McCaffery

Er, bye then...

Er, bye then...

You're supposed to plead for such an important person to stay and post amongst us peasants.

Er, bye then...

Just another hypocrite who doesn't like fans being able to have their say,unless agreeing with his opinion.And the best bit is he spent soooo long slagging off anyone who hid behind an alias,and what does he do??????? :rofl:

Retirements from Frampton and Hawkins - whats that all about??

Hawkins hasn't retired - he rode for the Birmingham scratch team at Leicester last night.

As Michael Winner says "calm down everyone".

I am sad as everyone that this season has been a disaster from the first lap at Ipswich. But well done Shadders for not giving up, by always state your disapointment on the forum but dont give up. March will soon be here and I am sure so will Rye (rejoice). Garrity, Kasper and Mellgren will be back and maybe even The scarlett pimpernell from Aussie all on really low averages, combine this with a big No 1 and the 2012 season can be put in the dustbin. The presentation (laughable) Fish and chips and the raffle will then become irrelevant.

When you are dismayed in the team just think Mel Taylor, it always helps.

Wow, dont think many Redcar fans could see many more wins coming this season, let alone one at Rye House. Sounds like both Rye and Redcar have similar issues of apathy and financial belt tightning which is adversely affecting their excellent fans bases because if you serve up dross then people get sick very quickly.

Brilliant from Max Dilger - cementing his place in next year's side if he hadnt already. Well done Max.

Edited by RedcarRacer