Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Rye House V Redcar 8/9/12

Rob McC, you have had more comebacks than Harry Redknapp, ok so you worked for Bonner at Km/screen sport and announced a bit, so have I, but doesn't mean anyone else cant have a say? Results have been poor, but a PL team, can't have 4riders scoring 18 points from 20 rides and expect to win. Lots of reasons why the season has fallen apart, injuries bent the main. However your 30 years supporting the Rockes must include the 20 years that you have walked away from so really your total is about 10, Shadders goes up and down the country and will do so as long as the team exist, full credit to him. Let us know when yet next comeback is!

• Like 2

[crawls onto the thread avoiding the flak]

Well done Bears :party:

[crawls out again]

• Like 2

Rye should be one of the easiest tracks in the country to promote. A massive untapped potential fan base all across Hertfordshire. I live around twenty minutes from Hoddesdon and have never seen so much as a leaflet locally.

In the right hands, someone like Jonathan Chapman for example Rye could be the best supported club in the country.

Now that is funny

................ I remember walking into Rye House back in 1974 after Rayleigh's closure wondering just what the hell we'd done to deserve what had happened to us ..................

................ For a few years a speedway commentator, occasional writer, 30 years a Rockets supporter, and at one time proud to be meeting announcer and presenter at Rye House. What a waste of time it all seems now ..................

Something just doesn't seem to add up here ....................................

It really is fascinating how someone who has attached themselves to speedway for so long can have so little clue about the sport, even if the first line was meant as (lame) humour.

You really have it in for the Ron Russell era. As someone who worked damn hard to help Ron keep the place open it really is a kick in the teeth to hear your constant whinging about that difficult time.

Looking back I really wish I hadn't bothered now. It's hard to work out though whether I regret getting involved in that period more than helping Steve Ribbons revive the team in 1999. To be honest it's now become a very close-run thing.

To me, Rye House has always been a difficult track to promote. The stadium is simply the wrong size and shape to create a decent speedway track, It's in a part of Hoddesdon that always had a poor reputation locally, making it very hard to sell to local businesses and it's right next to a river that for years caused havoc over flooding and drainage. I don't think that many tracks had the water coming up from below. It looks like Len has done his expert best to get round these problems, but then he gets slated for the tracks that he lays.

Success at Rye House never seems to last and it looks like the cycle is heading downwards again. Sadly Ron bought it as it was spiralling down in the eighties and was unable to pull it round.

I made some very good friends at Rye House but they weren't like the people I see spouting-off about the Rockets here. Strangely I have no memory of ever meeting you.It's probably the best move I made to get out when Len resumed control in 2000. I have high respect for him but could not ever work with those who he surrounds himself with. Seeing what happened to Steve Ribbons proved me right there.

I remember walking into Rye House back in 1974 after Rayleigh's closure wondering just what the hell we'd done to deserve what had happened to us.

I'm sure that some of you may have worked out who I am from recent posts, especially the above. I ceased posting as rmc partly because I was writing for Backtrack and thought it best to be more discreet. What was the clincher was seeing the utter garbage written in the BSF about the Coventry & Peterborough fiasco of 2010/11 . I really didn't want to be associated with it and in fact walked away from speedway totally until the very end of last season.

It's all academic really because I'm ready to walk away again, probably for good this time. The space for reasoned discussion in the BSF is now so minute and so many decent contributors have either left or become silent that it really has become an unpleasant task to filter out the bull to find the few facts.

It's easier to walk away when I see the comments you've been making.

Actually, the big mistake was following Rayleigh to Hertfordshire. I used to be so proud to be a Rocket. People like you make me ashamed.

Keep talking about the food, it's much safer territory.

Anyway, time for me to go. I only made a very small contribution to speedway but I did my bit. As you so readily point out what I and others did just wasn't good enough was it?

Apologies for trying to help the sport but it really doesn't want to be helped does it?

Rob McCaffery

For a few years a speedway commentator, occasional writer, 30 years a Rockets supporter, and at one time proud to be meeting announcer and presenter at Rye House. What a waste of time it all seems now....

Come to Redcar rob as we would have you as announcer.

I remember you interviewing us Middlesbrough tigers/bears on numerous occasions at away meetings for screen sport, better than the sky sports announcers any day ;)

I remember you interviewing us Middlesbrough tigers/bears on numerous occasions at away meetings for screen sport, better than the sky sports announcers any day ;)

*lick, slurp* BELCH

Perrrlleeeze.......

How long is your tongue?

• Like 1

I'm afraid the Rockets number 1 fan and Ronnie Russell's spokesman Mr McCatheter has retired from speedway, not that anyone had seen him at any Rye House meeting for a number of years. He must have been in disguise!

Success at Rye House never seems to last and it looks like the cycle is heading downwards again.

Name a PL club that has had year on year success. Every club goes through peaks and troughs.

To me, Rye House has always been a difficult track to promote.

Crowds were topping 1,000 five years ago, now they've more than halved. Can't all be down to the recession

*lick, slurp* BELCH

Perrrlleeeze.......

How long is your tongue?

You don't even know me so what right do you have calling me an ass licker ?

The guys done me no wrong so what's your problem ? And anyway have you heard our (redcars) announcer at the moment ? No as its non existent.

Exactly what I was saying in my post, to many nit picking assholes on this forum

Edited by mrmiddlesbrough
  • Like 1

Ass licker

• Like 1

Prick

Sack the moderator(s)

• Like 2

have you heard our (redcars) announcer at the moment ? No as its non existent.

Exactly what I was saying in my post, to many nit picking assholes on this forum

To be fair, I can't see anywhere in your original post where you've mentioned that. ;)

Oh don't you start aswell shadders ;)

I offered my services, but received no reply

Edited by Shadders

well maybes not in this thread huh ?

whats your beef with me shadders ? i was only passing comment on robs decission, i havent seen the bloke for around 30 years (probably before more than half you lot started following speedway) and he was always pleasant with us always wanting to make an interview to tack on the end of the screen sport meetings.

see its typical of this forum to take your comments out of context twisting them about before sticking them up your backside and holding them all against you but all i was trying to say was hes always been a decent bloke where ever middlesbrough tigers/bears were concerned.

did i ask for abuse from mr silvers ? NO did i ask you to stick your oar in ? NO, END OF

well maybes not in this thread huh ?

whats your beef with me shadders ? i was only passing comment on robs decission, i havent seen the bloke for around 30 years (probably before more than half you lot started following speedway) and he was always pleasant with us always wanting to make an interview to tack on the end of the screen sport meetings.

see its typical of this forum to take your comments out of context twisting them about before sticking them up your backside and holding them all against you but all i was trying to say was hes always been a decent bloke where ever middlesbrough tigers/bears were concerned.

did i ask for abuse from mr silvers ? NO did i ask you to stick your oar in ? NO, END OF

Overreaction of the highest order. To get wound up that easy you must have been wound up already. Trouble at home written all over that post.