British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shadders

Plymouth V Berwick... 14th September

the riders were told by the ref if they refuse to ride he would fine them £300 and they would be banned for 28 days!

the riders were told by the ref if they refuse to ride he would fine them £300 and they would be banned for 28 days!

ah that's good of him/her..... Can imagine then doing there main job for nothing...

Why can't the bloody Bspa sort it out?? Or is it a case of looking after their own....shocking and another example of how pathetically run this sport is!!.

• Like 4

In the local paper Bowden says that because the team have had two away meeting the money from the meetings that the riders should get from them have been slow in coming, so all the problems that the riders have not being paid is down to just two away meetings, yeh ok Bowden.

.... and you know this, how?

Seems a shame that one guy is causing all the hassle. Having never been to Plymouth I cannot comment on the fans, but the general opinion s that they are a good bunch and clearly deserve better. I saw two guys with Plymouth jackets on at Berwick for the Wednesday night meeting a few weeks back, that is harder than hardcore, these guys definately deserve better!

Hope this mess gets sorted out sooner rather than later

• Like 1

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/Devils-riders-troubles-Hold/story-16919756-detail/story.html

"Basically, the riders get paid when I do. One club has just sent us their payment after a month. Another cheque turned up on Friday. How I'm supposed to cash that with the weekend in between I'm not sure?

Ahhh, so it's everyone else's fault... Apologies to Mr Bowden if I have intimated that he's a crook and a charlatan in the past now it seems that no blame can be attached to him personally. Still doesn't explain why he's handing out cheques when he must be aware that there are insufficient funds to cover them, but I suppose that'll be someone else's fault as well.

• Like 1

The sooner he is booted out of speedway with his billy butlin jacket the better for all concerned at Plymouth Speedway.

The sooner he is booted out of speedway with his billy butlin jacket the better for all concerned at Plymouth Speedway.

He'll be wearing a pink cushion next!

This is a report in the local Plymouth paper today about the match on friday.

No sooner had the dust settled on their pre-meeting dispute than Ben Barker was leading his team-mate Todd Kurtz to a 5-1 first-heat win.

"It's up to the riders," Bowden told the crowd before the end of the meeting, when Devils were so far in front they couldn't be caught. "If they fail next week, then it's the last meeting of the season here. The more points we can get this week, the less we need next week."

It was a message not lost on his riders, whose only reverse came in heat five, when they suffered a 5-1 defeat. Otherwise, they mercilessly piled the points on an injury-hit Berwick, who were mathematically well beaten by heat 13, but metaphorically thrashed well before that.

Biggest success of the night came when reserve James Holder, who hasn't enjoyed the happiest of seasons with the Devils, was pitted against former Plymouth rider Ricky Wells.

Team-mate Ryan Fisher and his other opponent David Bellego were excluded for various offences, leaving Holder to face Wells, Berwick's number one for the night. Nobody would have put money on Holder doing anything other than eating Wells' exhaust fumes, but the Australian confounded his critics with a perfect gate and held the lead to the end of the race, despite a few wobbles.

Holder was presented with the man of the match award for that feat, although it was Barker and Fisher who applied the coup de grace with 5-1s in heats 13 and 15.

Bowden was inclined to shrug off the pay protest afterwards as one of those things. The Devils chairman said it was late payment by other clubs to Plymouth – each home club pays for the visitors' expenses – which had affected his ability to pay his riders. The Devils chairman, who stoically endured unwarranted cheap shots from certain sections of the crowd about not having the money to pay the referee, said: "Basically, the riders get paid when I do. One club has just sent us their payment after a month. Another cheque turned up on Friday. How I'm supposed to cash that with the weekend in between I'm not sure?

"We always pay up, but it's other clubs who put us in a difficult position. It's not good business and it gives us a lot of aggravation."

Meanwhile, Bowden was pleased with his team's performance, especially Holder.

He said: "It was good racing and the riders did well. They know if they don't, then the season's over. It was certainly James Holder's best performance of the season – the boy did really well."

.“If the Herald reporter thinks that they were unwarranted cheap shots from the crowd then the paper needs to send someone else to the meetings, because you have to be blind and deaf to not see what has been going on at the club, Bowden has been taking the money and not paying the riders, if there is a problem about other clubs being late with payments to riders then they should be informed, but it goes much further than a few late payments, and we all know it, it seems the only one that don't is the Herald reporter that is taken in by Bowden, can he not read between the lines, or is he taken in by all the lies.”

“Seems to me the reporter is very quick to talk to Bowden, but don't fancy having a word with the riders, maybe afraid he might get to the truth.”

Edited by Devildodger

the reporter is probably a member of the Bowden family cos the family do everything else like daughters and wife take the money at the gates, another daughter and partner run the track shop, grandson sell the candy floss and toffee apples,girlfriend runs the bar anything left to do Bowden himself does it!!! Managers not allowed to manage!!!

He'll be wearing a pink cushion next!

Haha, no chance that's my trademark

shadders were u down plymouth friday then

shadders were u down plymouth friday then

Indeed... Mr Bowden gave me a mention :D