British Speedway Forum
Friddy75

Sheffield 2013

Have Newport ever had big crowds? Well up until about 2003, yes!

During the Wasps first five years or so they probably had the best following in the PL, ask the likes of Reading, Exeter and Swindon fans what the travelling support was like when the Wasps were in town!

Ok I apologise , been to Newport Hayley stadium half a dozen times once for the Glasgow meeting pre GP and the Welsh open twice when good numbers were in attendance but when I have been with Sheffield there was just one man and his dog there.

Whatever the promotion might say, the principle reason for the losses incurred last year was the team line up which led to fans turning their back on the team.

A fair point,but i bet you if you looked at the losses last year by having a poor team,ill bet you a pound they were comparable with the losses during 2011 with they had what i think was the best team in the league that year,huge points scored home and away by the likes of Parker,Ashworth and Auty wouldnt have come cheap

Its a vicious circle,and at the moment i honestly think sticking to a strict budget is the way to survive,and i think,reading between the lines,surviving is the most important thing in speedway at the moment,not just at Sheffield

Is the next announcement that we've dropped down to the NL?

I personally think you could be plesantly surprised with Albin if he can sort his gateing out over the winter, i just cant help having niggles in thinking Berwick may have dropped a rather large clanger letting him go..

How many did stay and watch the second half that night when Albin rode at Owlerton? He was on a Berwick team bike which had mechanical problems, but before that he looked the biz. As I said before this kid could be a star with the right machinery & some decent sponsorship behind him.

Reading the articles in the Sheffield Star it looks like this is what were watching next year. Just hope Hally gets himself sorted out early doors & the track is sorted & remains the same throughout the full season. Do the Stock cars really have that much effect on the track? That's another question that needs looking at!

• Like 1

As much as the team last year was woefully weak and had the biggest bearing on attendances it is no doubt the overall product has been on the decline , dull presentation and very poor track preparation have given the impression rightly or wrongly of a tired or disinterested promotion .

At the very least the promotion have rolled the dice and subject to confirmation have come up with i believe some very good signings in Stead , Wells and Haines , a safe option at home in Hall , who like it or not is entertaining at home but really needs improvement away but this is unlikely at his stage of his career and the others are quite a gamble , for even one of them to show a reasonable improvement will be a huge bonus

Where last season it was patently obvious to ALL , even i suspect the promotion as well , that the side was poor and lacked any real interest for fans , on paper at least the proposed team at least suggests an element of interest and potential .

Maybe it is the last roll of the dice and the last chance saloon before Machin sells up but it at least is worthy of giving it a go this year

what about the future? if this gamble fails and we lose even more supporters then there may well not be a future.

i can appreciate building a new asset base, but we are under the points limit, with only wells and the the new guy, and thats a big maybe, capable of increasing their average

i am very sorry but i too think it will be another long hard summer for us, lets hope we were down to the hardcore fans last year because i would hate to be stood there with even fewer people around me than there was last season

• Like 1

An absolute massive gamble by the Promotion, I just hope that it pays off, because if it does not then it could be the end.

But looking at the team we do have three riders on assessed averages and generally you find that riders on assessed average suffer a drop in those averages so there is potential to make some big changes to the team.

But this is Sheffield we are talking about and they don't usually make quick changes, so the Promotion needs to probably change how they run the team and get tough if they need to.

I have deep reservations about Richard Hall, and he owes the Sheffield Promotion for the faith that they have shown in him, its time for him to put up and shut up, the promises have to stop and time to score some points away from Sheffield. .

• Like 5

it looks a poor team again but it is what we have got so we may as well grin and bear it and hope at least one of the new ones manage to up there average not holding my breath

The one thing we don't blame for the low crowd level is the crash of the

economy.

I have many friends who run there own companies and all are suffering, and it's not due to a bad product.

Yes, it wasn't the best side to represent Sheffield for a long time, but I did get fed up with people telling me, "If we had a winning team this place would be full"

Well, runners up in 2011, with a cracking entertaining team. And no the place wasn't full. Fuller than 2o12 but still not full.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed that the new guys find there feet quickly, and we become a force to rekon with.

Turn up at the start of the season and give them a chance and let's see what happens. You can have a moan if it doesn't work, but give me a break.

• Like 5

I think this team is a massive gamble, as Mr Hoggart seem's to admit . I hope it comes off. But the fans will not put up with what happened last season. They will just stay away. What future for the Tigers then.

Albin now confirmed. Huge gamble, especially with Koppe already in on an assessed 5.00, hopefully it pays off.

Agree Albin a massive gamble, I have seen him race a few times (in Argentina) and just don't think him or his equipment is ready for the premier league.

Agree Albin a massive gamble, I have seen him race a few times (in Argentina) and just don't think him or his equipment is ready for the premier league.

Believe he has bought Complin's engines and has two newish frames.

I guess our only hope is that Plymouth put out an equally weaker side!

Well I've heard of two different possible 1-7's and one is definitely weaker than what Sheffield have put together. The other one mind you now that would be decent!

Have you been to Argentina? Or just seen videos?