British Speedway Forum
Friddy75

Sheffield 2013

Setting aside the ludicrous nature of the first part of the sentence, the answer is "less".

Why would he be worth "the same money or more"? He was frankly a disgrace in the early part of the season, scoring double figures for Wolves & a handful or less for Sheffield.

So, eventually he started scoing the points that were expected of him. So what? He was doing that from Day One at Wolves. In the Elite League.

He established his average the year before at Plymouth, on a track that most of the visitors had never seen before & one much more like those in Califonia.

Presumably he went to Sheffield last year to broaden his experience, make himself a better rider (&, as rumour would have it, get paid on time).

Guess what? It wasn't as easy as he thought.

So after underperforming he thinks he should be on (presumably) more money than last year? Get real.

Get by on your Wolves money in that case.

Where have I said that he is worth the same deal or more.

I am asking why are the club pursuing a rider who said he lost money last season at Sheffield offer him less money than last season.

Its not rocket science that he was or will turn down the deal.

So as I said in the previous post if the club has a budget, why offer a rider a deal that it was obvious that he was going to turn down, to me it just seems a waste of time.

• Like 1

Who in their right mind would ride for less than the previous season especially after losing money ? Ricky had rode wolverhampton previously the year before so had set ups etc already for last season.He came to sheffield which is totally diffrent track and had to learn it just as our new lads have to this season.The more worrying thing for me is if we dont sign him who are we going to get in.? The options are slim to say the least..

• Like 1

Who in their right mind would ride for less than the previous season especially after losing money ?

You may not be aware that there's a recession. It seems to be quite popular - more & more people are becoming involved and doing just that - deciding between working harder for the same (or less) and not working at all.

Wells is self employed. If it took him most of last year to set himself up, then he isn't the rider he thinks he is. If he wants experience - training in his profession in other words - he needs to wake up if he thinks he's going to make a profit while doing it.

The sport is on it's ass because for too long promoters have paid out too much. Reality kicking in.

Who in their right mind would ride for less than the previous season especially after losing money ?

Do you no for a fact he has been offered less money,with a 0.01 increase in his average he for sure doesnt deserve a rise!!!!

Yes i agree we are in a recession but is it right to offer some one less money for risking life and limb to entertain us ? Riders costs escalate every year.It gets beyond a joke.So to take a pay cut then have more potential earnings taken away from you due to not getting 3rd place bonus points is a farce.Because of this stupid rule we will now see team mates racing against each other for an extra few quid,that will do alot for team spirit.If you dont want wells because you obviously arent a fan of him then who do you suggest as a better option ?

• Like 1

Do you no for a fact he has been offered less money,with a 0.01 increase in his average he for sure doesnt deserve a rise!!!!

Ricky Wells has not asked for the rise, he has said that if he was offered the money he was on last season.

My question is why pursue a rider who has stated that he lost money riding for Sheffield and then ask him to sign for less money the following season.

Simple economics says that the rider will turn that the deal down, whether he a foreigner or British.

The club has a budget for a third heatleader and obviously Ricky was out of there price range so why pursue him.

According to the sheffield star newspaper its true !

What about Hall. He must have been offered less money than last season, and is holding out for a pay rise I'm only joking. I think.

North doesn't have a ride. But could he come over from Australia to live in this country on what he would earn at Sheffield, doubtful unless he gets an Elite league ride to top his income up.

Dakota has a Polish team this year, and dont be suprised if he gets a doubling up role at parent club Peterborough this year.

Dakota North starts in the Australian Championship meetings tomorrow (morning, our time) and a good three meetings might well get him back into Britain with a bang!

Dakota has a Polish team this year, and dont be suprised if he gets a doubling up role at parent club Peterborough this year.

I was not aware North had a Polish team. And I wouldn't be shocked if Peterborough signed him this coming season, he was one of the top riders in the premier league towards the end. He also had a good guest ride for Swindon. If I had choice he would be signed along with Wells as our last two riders.

My point is if Sheffield can't afford to offer Wells the same deal as last year, what's the chances that North would sign for the same sort of deal on offer? (Sheffield being the only team he'll fit)

Like Spin king says, if we can't afford to sign Wells on a deal that he was never going to accept why even try?

As for people not wanting Wells because of this or that who do they think will sign for Sheffield for the same sort of deal?

Anyone else think we might pull out the PL before the season starts ?

No I think we will eventually get a team together.

Funny you should say that Andrew, I was talking to a fella today who has been going for 50 odd years and he thinks the same, no season ticket info, all gone quiet on the Thursday/Sunday debate, no confirmation of final team etc etc. Hope not!