British Speedway Forum
Friddy75

Sheffield 2013

I think that team spirit has been sadly lacking for a while. It was good in Sean Wilson's time, but has gradually disappeared over the years. If a rider wasn't ready to walk the track beforehand, Sean would make sure that he was shouted out of the pits. They haven't been doing a track walk as a team for some time, and team riding is practically non-existant. Riders should know that fans appreciate the team riding as a team and should try their best to do so. I remember the last meeting against Rye House, and Simon Lambert was constantly looking over his shoulder for his team mate. Not so with recent Sheffield teams. I hope Simon Stead makes it a priority. The other thing to look at, as previous posts have said, is the condition of the track. A track that provides good racing will be an obvious help to bring back the crowds.

• Like 2

I think that team spirit has been sadly lacking for a while. It was good in Sean Wilson's time, but has gradually disappeared over the years. If a rider wasn't ready to walk the track beforehand, Sean would make sure that he was shouted out of the pits. They haven't been doing a track walk as a team for some time, and team riding is practically non-existant. Riders should know that fans appreciate the team riding as a team and should try their best to do so. I remember the last meeting against Rye House, and Simon Lambert was constantly looking over his shoulder for his team mate. Not so with recent Sheffield teams. I hope Simon Stead makes it a priority. The other thing to look at, as previous posts have said, is the condition of the track. A track that provides good racing will be an obvious help to bring back the crowds.

I think that last year the team spirit was sadly lacking, but I would not say that it has not been the same since Sean Wilson's days.

I thought the team for 2011 had plenty of spirit about it, all the riders used come out for heat 15 and watch and support the riders riding in heat 15, that gave you a feeling that they were in it together as a team.

The thing that was clearly evident last season was the lack of a good team captain, Richard Hall never struck me as been a natural and I think it proved it last season.

I think that Simon Stead has the character to take on that role and lead and gel the team together, and I think that the team will need that this season coming as we are asking the likes of Wells and Haines to step up a gear and the three boys on assessed averages to step it up.

• Like 1

Last season we had riders falling off in a race and his team mate riding past him while he was laid injured.very poor team spirit last season if any at all.I think steady will improve that.Hopefully the new lads wont take too long to settle in and we can gell as a team.

i must say i never say hally look to team ride at all last season and he was captain but no one did last season. this year it will be harder to ask them to team ride because of the bonus point rule this year

To be fair, team riding's been screwed for years - made worse by not including bonus points in averages for years. You can guarantee any bonus payments in contracts don't include bonus points & what about a situation where the top 2 in a team are very close on average heading towards (say) the PLRC cut off date? Forget about team riding in Heats 13 & 15 then!

To be fair, team riding's been screwed for years - made worse by not including bonus points in averages for years. You can guarantee any bonus payments in contracts don't include bonus points & what about a situation where the top 2 in a team are very close on average heading towards (say) the PLRC cut off date? Forget about team riding in Heats 13 & 15 then!

Used to see that regularly in 2011 with Josh Auty, how many times did he almost bring down or cause his team mate to fall. Remember Skiddy having a go at him in the pits after one particularly selfish display, he said something like, "it's not all about you Josh!" To which Auty just gave some obscenity back. If I remember right he hit Sanchezs' back wheel in one meeting taking himself out of the race. He was exciting to watch, but not racing recklessly against his own team!

Used to see that regularly in 2011 with Josh Auty, how many times did he almost bring down or cause his team mate to fall. Remember Skiddy having a go at him in the pits after one particularly selfish display, he said something like, "it's not all about you Josh!" To which Auty just gave some obscenity back. If I remember right he hit Sanchezs' back wheel in one meeting taking himself out of the race. He was exciting to watch, but not racing recklessly against his own team!

I think you'll find that would be situation normal for him, rather than the effect of any rule change, but pleased to see a Sheffield-related instance highlighted.

With this winter's change, God help those in front when he's third - irrespective of their helmet colour or race jacket.

• Like 2

Josh did a fine bit of team riding with Nick Morris in heat 15 of the playoff final to secure the league. I am not saying hes a saint but he does team ride when its needed.

• Like 2

Just like Ove Fundin used to be then. He either comes 1st, or loses.

Just like Ove Fundin used to be then. He either comes 1st, or loses.

Just like everyone then. There is only ever one winner.

I hope Simon can inspire the new team. I hope we can tell the stadium owners that we need a free hand over track preparation, and that we can have a prosperous and entertaining season.

Edited by geepeeargh
  • Like 3

Expensive riders? I thought I read that these guys had taken a slight wage cut cos we've stuck to the new wage cap?!? Maybe they've come to us cos we now have other perks at Berwick... An air fence... Fans who take care of their riders with sponsorship... A promotion going places... major meetings... And now a new major sponsor... These guys wanted to be with us and we are so happy to have them! Hope you have a good 2013 season... I know as a Berwick fan I will be :-p

A promotion going places? A few weeks back they had us believe they were going one way, and it wasn't forward. If a whole speedway team is run relying on one sponsor, I don't hold out much hope for them - Newport comes to mind putting all their eggs in one basket and relying on one income which all went ** up.

And riders signing for Berwick because they host major meetings? Give over, what difference does it make to them, they aren't going to compete in them anyway so it's all irrelevant.

Takes your rosé tinted specs off and don't be so biased for once in your life.

A promotion going places? A few weeks back they had us believe they were going one way, and it wasn't forward. If a whole speedway team is run relying on one sponsor, I don't hold out much hope for them - Newport comes to mind putting all their eggs in one basket and relying on one income which all went ** up.

And riders signing for Berwick because they host major meetings? Give over, what difference does it make to them, they aren't going to compete in them anyway so it's all irrelevant.

Takes your rosé tinted specs off and don't be so biased for once in your life.

In my experience (which based upon your signature is a great deal more than yours) no track has upped its game in the last few years more than Berwick.

• Like 2

In my experience (which based upon your signature is a great deal more than yours) no track has upped its game in the last few years more than Berwick.

Granted my signature is probably a long time out of date and needs to be updated or removed. I rarely use this forum other than on my phone where signatures don't get displayed which have something to do with it - so that point again, is also irrelevant.

I refer back to another point made, but it's well publicised Robin Aspegren would rather be elsewhere than Berwick but due to flights in and out of the country, it doesn't allow it.

Edited by Najjer

I refer back to another point made, but it's well publicised Robin Aspegren would rather be elsewhere than Berwick but due to flights in and out of the country, it doesn't allow it.

:lol: Still bitter he ain't at Somerset I take it? I'm sure if another club had approached Robin and he wanted to go then arrangements could have been made to accommodate his flights! Maybe, just maybe he is happy to be back with us!

• Like 3