British Speedway Forum
Whiteliner

Dear Cvs A Plea From A Supporter Of Speedway In General (re Redcar)

Dear CVS

I'm not 100% certain but I believe that you are still a majority share holder at Redcar Speedway. If this is the case can you please please come back and take control of this sinking ship. I have followed speedway for over 40 years now, have visited most tracks past and present. What is now going on at Redcar Speedway is a complete joke. We have a leading consortium member who is doing his utmost to alienate sponsors, helpers and fans alike, his attitude is if you dont like it dont come, well a lot more are not going and the numbers are down week on week.

Now we have the 2 brothers joining in the " We must get rid of these supporters campaign". Redcar supporters are known throughout the land as being colourful, noisey and very very loyal to their club, a club which you started Mr Van Stratten. The stand which was erected and you have to pay to get into by the way, has now had severe restrictions put on it all because the Brothers in Arms dont like children or noise.

So Mr CVS, if you arent bothered and dont care what is happening to YOUR track then fair enough but if You do care, please come back and sort these jokers out before Redcar speedway just becomes another defunct track.

• Like 3

I wondered how long it would be until something was brought up on the BSF about the consortium at Redcar.

Totaly agree, and feel for the future for the club.

• Like 1

Sadly, I have to agree, with the previous posters. If there is no action soon, to arrest the downward slide, on the terraces, then I think, the damage may become, irrepairable.

• Like 1

Shame for Redcar as they seemed to be a club going places in 06/07, good fans and some good riders with a trophy win. Now they are a poor side with what looks to be a very poor promotion.

• Like 1

Sadly, I have to agree, with the previous posters. If there is no action soon, to arrest the downward slide, on the terraces, then I think, the damage may become, irrepairable.

I'd have to agree with the sentiments of the above quote and preceding posts - last time I was over in Pomgolia I spent a very enjoyable few hours at Redcar and was most impressed with the enthusiasm and amiability of the Bears' supporters.

On a lighter note, is there any limit to the number of commas used in one sentence? I think sidewinder1 may have exceeded his quota!

i did hear a story about someone complaining about the noise in the grandstand what do they expect is my answer to that

as for paying to get in the grandstand well thats fair enough in my opinion

1, it pays for the grandstand

2, most football/rugby whatever sport it is do charge extra for a seated/covered area as oppose standing out in the open

but for me who the hell thought it was a good idea to put the grandstand where it is i would never pay extra to go and watch form up there far from it i would maybe pay extra to avoid being up there

It is a shame. I would love our nearest and dearest to get back to where they were a few years ago. And what happened to that fantastic track you had? Last twice I've been it has been a one line circuit. It was awesome the first couple of years after it opened.

• Like 1

I have always backed the Havvy/Consortium promotion to the extent that they took over the club and helped save it, they were rewarded for this with good crowds and good takings.

However, the penny pinching just cannot go on - this season the whole year went down the pan when Havvy jnr got injured, not because of his injury but the fact his replacement was merely the cheapest available. But the cheapness of the management was seen before this, booking Newcastle for a challenge, when we already had them in the KO Cup - sorry but Redcar fans dont want to watch Newcastle or any team a minimum of four times a year, but we all know why they were booked.

The track is not great but that is not the issue - the team just is not entertaining, Redcar fans dont mind getting beat but you cannot serve dross week in, week out and try and label it as entertainment.

The Silver Helmet line-up summed up the current disregard the management have for the fans - Havvy and the consortium feel they will get crowds no matter what they do, they have now pushed that to the extreme where loyal supporters and volunteers are now refusing to return.

It is such a shame as the club has everything in place to be a success, just it is missing decent management, direction, promotion and a team worth shouting about.

I do fear for speedway on Teesside, however, given the fan base is still here - I have heart somebody will come forward to take it on, but I am not sure whether the consortium/Havvy snr will relinquish control so easily.

So I do echo Whiteliner's comments, please put the club in order CVS!

It is a shame. I would love our nearest and dearest to get back to where they were a few years ago. And what happened to that fantastic track you had? Last twice I've been it has been a one line circuit. It was awesome the first couple of years after it opened.

The track was altered on the first and seconds corners by Glyn Taylor to lengthen the track a few years into the re-opening, albeit not much but with added banking too - it meant the riders were stopped from straightening up mid corner on bend 1 which previously allowed them to fly into 3 and 4 and use the banking - a technique the likes of Woffinden, Tressarieu and Kerr did with wonderful effect in the opening years. That is the reason the banking on 3 and 4 are no longer used by ANY rider, no matter how good.

• Like 1

RedcarRacer said:

'The track was altered on the first and seconds corners by Glyn Taylor to lengthen the track a few years into the re-opening, albeit not much but with added banking too - it meant the riders were stopped from straightening up mid corner on bend 1 which previously allowed them to fly into 3 and 4 and use the banking - a technique the likes of Woffinden, Tressarieu and Kerr did with wonderful effect in the opening years. That is the reason the banking on 3 and 4 are no longer used by ANY rider, no matter how good.'

Where the hell, do you get your so called facts from. You trot out this drivel like it was indisputable fact. When in reality it's just rumour and guess work. The kerb, which dictates the shape of the track, has never been altered since the day it was put in, (by Brian Havelock, one Saturday in early March, just before the start of the 2007 season. I was there I saw him doing it.) Glyn Taylor, had plans to alter it, but subsequent events, meant he never got chance to. I will probably see GT on Thursday night and will confirm that with him. If you are looking for reasons, why the STMP, does not quite reach former glories, then I suggest, you look in other area's.

RedcarRacer said:

'The track was altered on the first and seconds corners by Glyn Taylor to lengthen the track a few years into the re-opening, albeit not much but with added banking too - it meant the riders were stopped from straightening up mid corner on bend 1 which previously allowed them to fly into 3 and 4 and use the banking - a technique the likes of Woffinden, Tressarieu and Kerr did with wonderful effect in the opening years. That is the reason the banking on 3 and 4 are no longer used by ANY rider, no matter how good.'

Where the hell, do you get your so called facts from. You trot out this drivel like it was indisputable fact. When in reality it's just rumour and guess work. The kerb, which dictates the shape of the track, has never been altered since the day it was put in, (by Brian Havelock, one Saturday in early March, just before the start of the 2007 season. I was there I saw him doing it.) Glyn Taylor, had plans to alter it, but subsequent events, meant he never got chance to. I will probably see GT on Thursday night and will confirm that with him. If you are looking for reasons, why the STMP, does not quite reach former glories, then I suggest, you look in other area's.

Quite agree. I had heard that some work had been carried out pretty early on the second bend, because riders were shooting off into the fence. I remember several nasty crashes in the same spot on the second bend when i was there for Diamonds meetings plus others including the opening night. Was there not also a problem with the earth base cracked sometime later and needed repair. I was never convinced with the 3/4th. Would have been better to half the banking on the 3/4th bend and increase the banking on the 1/2 nd bend.

Genuinely sad to hear there are the rumblings at the STMP. Unlike some Bears fans, I do appreciate the presence of our nearest neighbours, and attend all our meetings at their place. Petty Bears fan's dont feel the same which is sad, as it is true we have to be good for each other and I personally don't want anything to happen to them. Let's hope something can be sorted for the decent Bears fans.

Edited by Tsunami

So just to add salt into the wounds, an end of season party which had been arranged for this friday, with tickets already been sold has now been cancelled by the management of Redcar Speedway with a new date to be given later.

Suppose thats alright for those people who dont have to arrange things like days off work, baby sitters etc........some fans have now arranged days off that they no longer need, its just typical of the CONTEMPT shown by this consortium for the supporters of the club.

• Like 1

So just to add salt into the wounds, an end of season party which had been arranged for this friday, with tickets already been sold has now been cancelled by the management of Redcar Speedway with a new date to be given later.

Suppose thats alright for those people who dont have to arrange things like days off work, baby sitters etc........some fans have now arranged days off that they no longer need, its just typical of the CONTEMPT shown by this consortium for the supporters of the club.

Training session on Saturday has also been cancelled.

I'd have to agree with the sentiments of the above quote and preceding posts - last time I was over in Pomgolia I spent a very enjoyable few hours at Redcar and was most impressed with the enthusiasm and amiability of the Bears' supporters.

On a lighter note, is there any limit to the number of commas used in one sentence? I think sidewinder1 may have exceeded his quota!

If you read it and take the breaks provided by the commas whilst rolling your right hand forward in a circular motion , you would be doing an impersonation of Tony Blair !!!

• Like 1

RedcarRacer said:

Taking from Evening Gazette website, as I do like to deal in facts.

Speaking March 20th 2008, before Havvy snr was promoter, then promoter Glyn Taylor said: "The track length was 264m last year and now it's 271m.

"It doesn't make any difference to the riding line but the track is fractionally bigger, so heat one will be a track record."

Some disagree and dont think the kerb made a big difference, I personally do for the reasons stated, and it emphasises why since this date the banking on 3 and 4 are never used.

PS I do hate to use quotes by Mr Taylor as I do detest the man after he did his best to shut the track and even tried to sack Gary Havelock before the fans bailed him out.

Quite agree. I had heard that some work had been carried out pretty early on the second bend, because riders were shooting off into the fence. I remember several nasty crashes in the same spot on the second bend when i was there for Diamonds meetings plus others including the opening night. Was there not also a problem with the earth base cracked sometime later and needed repair. I was never convinced with the 3/4th. Would have been better to half the banking on the 3/4th bend and increase the banking on the 1/2 nd bend.

Genuinely sad to hear there are the rumblings at the STMP. Unlike some Bears fans, I do appreciate the presence of our nearest neighbours, and attend all our meetings at their place. Petty Bears fan's dont feel the same which is sad, as it is true we have to be good for each other and I personally don't want anything to happen to them. Let's hope something can be sorted for the decent Bears fans.

Edited by Phil
Abuse removed and warning.