Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Plymouth V Newcastle Pl Friday 21st September 2012

Sorry to rain on your parade dear boy, but unless you win the play offs then your name won't be appearing on the trophy. We nicked it off Kings Lynn in 2007, not even finishing in the top four!

Which is, of course, both an absolute disgrace AND a complete nonsense.

• Like 5

Which is, of course, both an absolute disgrace AND a complete nonsense.

Oh, I agree. 2007 didn't feel the same as 2005 when we won it on merit.

Rather like a rider who goes unbeaten into a final and loses out to someone who sneaks in, there's always a sense of injustice

Fingers crossed justice prevails in this case.

There was no dispute with riders tonight. The police were not there for any reason concerning riders with disputes over pay or anything else.

Why were they there then?

Well done Newcastle on finishing top of the league,done us by a point but fair play think over the 24 meetings they just deserved it,even with big home track advantage :wink: !!

Play offs look wide open but,Newcastle look to be in the box seat to me

Well done Newcastle on finishing top of the league,done us by a point but fair play think over the 24 meetings they just deserved it,even with big home track advantage :wink: !!

Play offs look wide open but,Newcastle look to be in the box seat to me

Well summed up and I quite agree with you. :lol::P:wink:

need to pick leicester and worko with team a few injuries must keepaway from dumpdale as its a trick track no one will want to go there seeing as newcastle got humped in the league

There was no dispute with riders tonight. The police were not there for any reason concerning riders with disputes over pay or anything else.

Does that mean the Bowdens were having a ruck amongst themselves?

Congrats Diamonds on topping the league even with your injuries you deserved it ;;;;;

• Like 1

Well summed up and I quite agree with you. :lol::P:wink:

Well done to the Diamonds on topping the table.

Let's hope for a Scorpions v Diamonds play-off final... with the Scorpions nicking it of course. ;)

All the best

Rob

A huge well done to Newcastle Diamonds for topping the league. Scorpions had hoped to do it by winning all 3pts tonight, but you went one better! congratulations!!!!

Agree with previous posters, that considering the loss of the dynamic Worrall twins for some time, Newcastle have coped admirably and are deserved table toppers.

Hope for the integrity of the Premier League, Diamonds also win the farcical Championship Play-Off.

• Like 1

Well done to Newcastle on finishing top of the League - If any other team win the play offs it will be a hollow victory - unless of course it is the Monarchs when I reserve the right to open the best malt and king eddie cigars!!

I've never agreed with play-offs in any form of league sport - it simply favours the strongest team over a few meetings - leagues should be won over a season. It's often said that a lucky team can win a cup but only the best team over a season will win the league.

Still with speedway in such a mess i can't deny the possible financial gain to the play off clubs - still don't like it though!

Well done Diamonds.

Anyone seen Halifax Tiger. :rofl::drink:

:o

Sod off. :angry:

I'll pay up tomorrow you mercenary git. :)

On a (slightly) more serious note, I think that the interests of speedway itself and what is good for the sport matter more than our individual preferences and where that's concerned I'd say the play offs are better than the league system. For a start, speedway is anything but alone in deciding matters this way, rugby league being the most obvious other example with even football having such a method for promotion.

It was the absolutely astonishing NL play off last season that swung my view this way, a truly fantastic final with the match at Mildenhall being the best I have ever seen and one I will never forget.

I really don't believe that the sport is any state to turn down the undoubted increased gates that the play offs produce (unlike the end of the last PL season, with many meaningless matches played out in front of sparse attendances) given the parlous state of many clubs finances. There is the prospect of a significant financial bonus for Workington, a club on the brink of closure and I doubt if any of the others involved will be unhappy at the chance of a few more through the turnstiles. I read a report that in 2006 as a result of a huge play off final gate Peterborough finished in the black rather than substantially in the red and it surprises me that the play off is so easily dismissed and ridiculed with that in mind.

Perhaps it is more that there seems to be very little reward for finishing at the top of the league (and that is where rugby league differs) that is part of the problem. There should at least be a trophy for that, with perhaps a weighting system depending on who you draw in the play offs.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

the bowdens were having a ruck amongst themselves also bowdens girlfriend carted off in police car with her husband!back to important stuff well done newcastle best team to visit plymouth this year robbo top class and nedermark showing bowden what he could of signed last year,TAXI FOR BOWDEN :t: