British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pere Ubon

Ipswich V. Workington Lc S/f 20/9

Genuine Number 1, Richard Lawson (8.60) - 4 points.

All the Witches (6.79 - 5.78) - 7 points or more.

A great example of why, according to some, we need a genuine Number 1????!!!!!

Not really a great example... Anyone can have an off night, even a world champion.

Not really a great example... Anyone can have an off night, even a world champion.

An example none the less, and rather exposes a certain member's notion that you can't fail if you have a genuine number 1.

An example none the less, and rather exposes a certain member's notion that you can't fail if you have a genuine number 1.

Hmmmm.... now who could that be?

It might have been ridiculous. In hindsight Taylor should have taken his father's advice and gone back to Aus and get ready for next season, but Ipswich might get the benefit of Taylor on a lower average next season! And Doolan has only recently hit a bit of form.

There is no denying Taylor came back too early as proved by the majority of his scores since returning with the upside being a nice low average for next season !

On the Lawson issue he's never particularly liked Foxhall and obviously had some bike issues last night as well . He's clearly a no1in Workingtons team for a reason and scores big at home .

I still think a genuine no1 is the Way to go for the Witches with the best back up that's available within the points limit .

I just hope we can secure the services of the right man for the job , whoever that may be ?

And also we got 5-1's in Heats 12 & 14 AGAIN, all thanks to our well balanced side. We've certainly had more successes in these 2 heats, than total failures in 13 & 15.

tea, bless all the fallers at ippo. includingtungate and the rest of the suckers watches.

I genuinely have no idea what you're even trying to say :blink:

Equally, Saturday was an example why dropping Kev Doolan in favour of the little camp mascot was ridiculous.

Nothing to do with Doolans scores for Ipswich for a lot of this season? I suppose we should sweep all that under the carpet because he got a max the other week? Don't make me laugh!

How many did Taylor score last night? More than Doolan got in a lot of his Witches meetings this season!!

Troll on troller!

Edited by Ipswich Jules
  • Like 1

Anybody else think that the ref wasnt watching much of the time??

4 big decisions - Tay not being disqualified in 2nd re-run heat 3 and the 3 line calls all wrong for me!!

Evened out I suppose as 2-2 for each side.

........I still think a genuine no1 is the Way to go for the Witches with the best back up that's available within the points limit .

I just hope we can secure the services of the right man for the job , whoever that may be ?

You may be right. However the crunch is how you define "a genuine number one".

Our often heard, but seldom (if ever) seen little chum, suggests that a rider with an average of 8.50+ qualifies him as a genuine number one. In the last set of averages there are seven riders that meet criteria currently riding in the PL. Numbers one, three and five in the averages Barker, the much heralded Cheese, and Fisher represent teams that are currently struggling to "qualify" for the highly prestigious Challenge Trophy competition!!

Of the others Berwick (Ashworth 8.84) and Glasgow (Screen 9.25) have failed to qualify for the end of season play-offs or progress to the later stages of the cup competitions.

Somerset (Doyle 9.12) have done well qualifying for the play offs and progressing to the semi- final of the League Cup.

So that leaves Workington (Lawson 8.60), who on the surface have enjoyed a reasonably successful season - progressing to the play-offs and making both semi-finals of the cup competitions. However this has been achieved, by the promoter putting together a team that he clearly couldn't afford. As a result, Workington (like Newport before them) may not be around next season - or indeed see this season out.

So this just proves that a having a so-called genuine number one isn't the panacea it may seem.

I'm sure even the most one-eyed of Comets' fans, would rather have the Ipswich team and sound financial prudence, rather than trying to buy success and having to live with the resultant shambles.

Edited by Mr Snackette
  • Like 2

You may be right. However the crunch is how you define "a genuine number one".

Our often heard, but seldom (if ever) seen little chum, suggests that a rider with an average of 8.50+ qualifies him as a genuine number one. In the last set of averages there are seven riders that meet criteria currently riding in the PL. Numbers one, three and five in the averages Barker, the much heralded Cheese, and Fisher represent teams that are currently struggling to "qualify" for the highly prestigious Challenge Trophy competition!!

Of the others Berwick (Ashworth 8.84) and Glasgow (Screen 9.25) have failed to qualify for the end of season play-offs or progress to the later stages of the cup competitions.

Somerset (Doyle 9.12) have done well qualifying for the play offs and progressing to the semi- final of the League Cup.

So that leaves Workington (Lawson 8.60), who on the surface have enjoyed a reasonably successful season - progressing to the play-offs and making both semi-finals of the cup competitions. However this has been achieved, by the promoter putting together a team that he clearly couldn't afford. As a result, Workington (like Newport before them) may not be around next season - or indeed see this season out.

So this just proves that a having a so-called genuine number one isn't the panacea it may seem.

I'm sure even the most one-eyed of Comets' fans, would rather have the Ipswich team and sound financial prudence, rather than trying to buy success and having to live with the resultant shambles.

The crowd figures at DP at the start of the season were quite healthy and could support the team financially but for what ever reason the attendances have fallen

The crowd figures at DP at the start of the season were quite healthy and could support the team financially but for what ever reason the attendances have fallen

So he put together a team he couldn't afford.

His business model was clearly flawed!!!!

Anybody else think that the ref wasnt watching much of the time??

4 big decisions - Tay not being disqualified in 2nd re-run heat 3 and the 3 line calls all wrong for me!!

Evened out I suppose as 2-2 for each side.

From where I was the ref got all 3 line calls wrong and a little more too! Surprised it wasn't a Mrs! :icon_smile_clown:

Heat 3 1st attempt was an all 4 back. The 2nd attempt should have seen Poole excluded.

Heat 4 - Nielsen and Wells had a big coming together down the back straight, looked as though Nielsen had both hands off the handlebars!

Heat 5 - Birks wide off last corner and Poole seemed to just get the victory

Heat 6 - Morris fell on own in 1st corner but all 4 back, looked as though it was a bike problem that caused fall.

Heat 7 - Tungate passed by both Comets, but tried and failed, ref gave him 2nd as though making up for heat 5!

Heat 13 - Close race with Lanham looking to have beaten Wells, celebrated but given 3rd.

Might sound bias but as Bruv said evened up in the end!

Nothing to do with Doolans scores for Ipswich for a lot of this season? I suppose we should sweep all that under the carpet because he got a max the other week? Don't make me laugh!

How many did Taylor score last night? More than Doolan got in a lot of his Witches meetings this season!!

Troll on troller!

As much to do with Lawson's score at Ipswich. What is a one-of score suppoed to prove?

Funny how the little camp mascot has his low scores passed off as "a low average for next year". His scores have been at best on a par with the "unacceptably low" scores of Doolan, whose upturn would probably have made the difference between making the Play Offs & whatever the Remedial Post Season is called.

Yeah, but, to be fair, most other tracks have "only" had to combat the recession & the rain. Workington have (one of a couple) management that actively encourage dwindling attendance.

Recession , weather, injuries and other things like the , no i,m not going to lower myself...............................