British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Newcastle V Somerset Double Header Sun 30/09/2012 @ 5pm

James was moving at starts on Friday, I think it's frustration as his bikes are not working.

It's not frustration, it's cheating. He was quite rightly excluded. Twice. Be interesting to see if there are any repercussions of his actions afterwards.

It's not frustration, it's cheating. He was quite rightly excluded. Twice. Be interesting to see if there are any repercussions of his actions afterwards.

Yeah,,, he should be hauled over the coals and severly reprimanded,,, maybe take all of his point off him and see how much it would change the results !!!

Also, IMO, he definately took Jesper B off early on when on a 1-5, to try and see if he could do any better himself !!!

In the one race in which Kyle Newman did replace him for all his 'tapes offences' over the weekend, Kyle got the better of Ben Morley, which would be expected, I think,,,,,,,

there's always the KO Cup :-(

For the love of God, what "repercussions" do you want for a bit of pantomime tomfoolery?

So he kicked the pit gate - any reason it wasn't opened for him anyway? - and shoved a few folk out of the way - why was anyone from the home side getting involved anyway other than causing a bit of mischief, the Somerset management & riders were coping perfectly well - while having a bit of a strop. All of which was made funnier for anyone with a grasp of the rules (so, not many then) that once he had finished the strop, he was going to have to come back out & take his third ride .

So what?

It warmed up a cool evening and provided a bit of exercise for the knuckle-dragging obese element (so, quite a few then), dragging their carcases along the terracing to the pits fence to presumably pass on their tactical advice & condolences to Wright, having inadvertedly fallen foul of the official's ire.

Maybe they should fine the ass off him as an example to others.Then it can be drummed into riders that emotion - even when it's comical - has no place in the sport. As much as any recently written rule, the lack of "character", "incidents" & "pantomime villany" is responsible for the acres of concrete on show whenever a speedway crowd gathers on a terracing.

Incidently, whatever has gone wrong with Wright over the last few years, it almost saved the night for Newcastle - never one of his best tracks, but if the Wright of a few years ago had turned up & scored his then usual 5, 6, or 7 points it would have been a pretty miserable night for Newcastle.

• Like 1

So disapointed at the way things turned out for the Diamonds last night. It almost seemed like (A Bridge Too Far) for Newcastle after a long hard fought and injury ravaged season. I can fully understand the frustration of my fellow Diamonds fans, but for some of them to criticise and blame Robson and Lemon for Newcastles end of season stutter is just not justified. These two senior riders, (along with Richie Worrall) have led the Diamonds to the top of the league, they are also the leading points scorers in the team. So well done to the team, and yes it is a team game. So we should be thankful to them for getting us in that position, given what was available to them team wise. My lasting memory from last night was the absolute silence after the race when all hope had disappeared for Newcastle - the stadium was like a ghost town - the atmosphere was eerie. That told you how much it hurt the fans!! So let's regroup and get behind the lads and try to salvage what we can from the season.

"The Mackem"

For the love of God, what "repercussions" do you want for a bit of pantomime tomfoolery?

So he kicked the pit gate - any reason it wasn't opened for him anyway? - and shoved a few folk out of the way - why was anyone from the home side getting involved anyway other than causing a bit of mischief, the Somerset management & riders were coping perfectly well - while having a bit of a strop. All of which was made funnier for anyone with a grasp of the rules (so, not many then) that once he had finished the strop, he was going to have to come back out & take his third ride .

So what?

It warmed up a cool evening and provided a bit of exercise for the knuckle-dragging obese element (so, quite a few then), dragging their carcases along the terracing to the pits fence to presumably pass on their tactical advice & condolences to Wright, having inadvertedly fallen foul of the official's ire.

Maybe they should fine the ass off him as an example to others.Then it can be drummed into riders that emotion - even when it's comical - has no place in the sport. As much as any recently written rule, the lack of "character", "incidents" & "pantomime villany" is responsible for the acres of concrete on show whenever a speedway crowd gathers on a terracing.

Having been watching speedway since late 70's I agree about the pantomime part of your post. Was nothing better than seeing a rider smash a starting gate phone( whatever happened to them) or go storming to the refs box. But can you imagine the repucussions if Wayne Rooney reacted like James Wright did after he had been booked and then done it again if he had been sent off. Edited by KEITH M

Cracking results for the Rebels, just need to hope Leicester on their home track get the better of Newcastle and we should be set for the final.

As Newman is reserve he could have taken 7 rides if needed. James was moving at starts on Friday, I think it's frustration as his bikes are not working.

Let's be honest, he's been doing it all season and has been caught out so many times I've lost count.

And so the fortune of having a full team at playoff time is shown to the detriment of the true league champions

Wondered how long that would take to crop up whilst i don't dis-agree with you everybody knew what the rules were at the start off the season

• Like 1

newcastle have thought more about the convenience factor of arranging these matches with Somerset, rather than thinking about the best route to win the premier league, poor, very poor

• Like 1

Only thing that is poor is that we went into the end of the season with more or less a 5 man team after scrambling over the line....it was never going to last, ESP in double headers...it must be months now we've carried rr....putting massive strain on all the others who basically had to perform constantly....against the best we were always going to find it hard imo

No matter who we had at reserve would score a boat load, but our top end wasn't strong enough when it mattered...still a chance though, it's not over yet and we've done far better than anyone could imagine losing our 2 trump cards.

Edited by Arson fire

Only thing that is poor is that we went into the end of the season with more or less a 5 man team after scrambling over the line....it was never going to last, ESP in double headers...it must be months now we've carried rr....putting massive strain on all the others who basically had to perform constantly....against the best we were always going to find it hard imo

Richie has tweeted that his doctor thinks he may need another operation as the bone is not growing together

Great performance from the Rebels,especially Jason Doyle who has been immense all season with us and Swindon . I agree that the play offs are a joke the team that is top at the end should be crowned Champions, I certainly would not have liked it had the positions been reversed. What there can be no question about however is that Somerset were the better team over the four matches and deserved their success.Hopefully the Rebels can go on and pick up some silverware which will reward a good effort by everyone involved with club.

Great performance from the Rebels,especially Jason Doyle who has been immense all season with us and Swindon . I agree that the play offs are a joke the team that is top at the end should be crowned Champions, I certainly would not have liked it had the positions been reversed. What there can be no question about however is that Somerset were the better team over the four matches and deserved their success.Hopefully the Rebels can go on and pick up some silverware which will reward a good effort by everyone involved with club.

they should be really be the better team though against our team....in fact the team you have you shouldn't lose a meeting....speedway ain't on paper though eh

I must say Congratulations to Somerset on progressing in the Cup - Good Luck to them.

........................now for the League 'Play Off' Meeting.

Once again I have to complain about Speedway and it's lack of credibility. First of all - we have to win the League for a second timein the 'Play Offs' - bloody stupid. Secondly the fact that we lost a vital Point last night because of the ridiculous Double Points System. Had Somerset not had the Tactical Ride - the 'Diamonds' would have won by the seven Points required to take the full Three Points. HOW MUCH LONGER IS THIS BLOODY STUPID SYSTEM going to be allowed to continue?

I really do HATE this System and it is turning me off Speedway. It doesn't matter whether it is the Home Team or the Away Team that benefit - I HATE it. It is unfair, gives a false impression and could now have cost us the Premier League Title after it's second running (Play Offs)..

I have spoken about this to a lot of Supporters, from both Home and Away Teams, and apart from the odd person, the vast majority are against this Rule.

To me it is about time that Speedway got itself in to the real World where most people believe in fair play and a level playing field. By Somerset having a Double Points Ride (when Newcastle never had the chance of a Tactical Ride). they ''won' the necessary points to clinche a precious League Point.. How pathetic is that?

Regarding the 'Play Offs' I have only one thing to mention. A couple of years ago Poole were TWENTY SIX Points ahead in the Elite League. Come the 'Play Offs' they have a couple of 'off nights' and are beaten by Coventry who are declared League Champions - what a JOKE.

I sometimes wonder who is running Speedway - the BSPA - or - SKY Television.

Two points

Firstly, I think the play offs are a good idea but not a mini league. Just have top four in two semi finals and a final. The mini league means that one team will be left waiting for the result from the other twos match to see who qualifies.

Secondly its a busy time of the season for the riders and their machinery, especially those doubling up with Elite Legue clubs. It will be interesting to see how the doubling up riders and their machinery from both of last nights teams, fare in tonights elite league play offs and league matches.

'The play offs',,, they can just reward failure and penalise success,,, but is'nt that typical of this countries culture now ?

I bet the man/men who invented the league system are turning in their grave/s.

Fair play to Somerset, they were the better team, and IMO, not dissing Ben, Newcastle have been carrying a guest at reserve far to long, as no NL guest has had time to get to know the track,,,

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 1