British Speedway Forum
Derwent

Bradford To Return ?

On 6/18/2018 at 10:05 AM, ch958 said:

sorry to be a negative poster but they seem to be enjoying a guessing game on facebook about the location and have started a funding request.

If they have no money now how are they going to see this through? Would love to see it but my gut feeling is bs

You need very deep pockets and immense optimism to launch or relaunch a speedway track / team.

especially at a place where the main stay sport of rugby league has gone into administration about 6 times in the last few years.

I just love some of the reactions to this, exactly the same with the Belle Vue National Stadium, Leicester, Birmingham, Middlesbrough (Redcar), Wimbledon and a few others that couldn't be revived. In the eyes of a minority they never had a chance. Some of the chequered histories of the revived tracks are no different to more established clubs, planners, councils, neighbours with sensitive hearing, wonky landlords etc. etc

This opportunity has most of that put to bed, yes it's early days but if all it needs is money stop whinging and put your hands in your pockets, I would suggest a tenner a whinge then you can diss it as much as you like and watch it come to fruition knowing your negativity has brought another track back to life. (if the cap fits wear it FFS)

You could always diss on about Oxford coming back if you haven't already

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whisperer said:

I just love some of the reactions to this, exactly the same with the Belle Vue National Stadium, Leicester, Birmingham, Middlesbrough (Redcar), Wimbledon and a few others that couldn't be revived. In the eyes of a minority they never had a chance. Some of the chequered histories of the revived tracks are no different to more established clubs, planners, councils, neighbours with sensitive hearing, wonky landlords etc. etc

This opportunity has most of that put to bed, yes it's early days but if all it needs is money stop whinging and put your hands in your pockets, I would suggest a tenner a whinge then you can diss it as much as you like and watch it come to fruition knowing your negativity has brought another track back to life. (if the cap fits wear it FFS)

Then again, have you seen the alarmingly low crowds at BV, especially when you consider the money they owe and are supposed to be paying back, or what about Redcar who have publicly admitted to losing money on every meeting this year?

23 minutes ago, foamfence said:

Then again, have you seen the alarmingly low crowds at BV, especially when you consider the money they owe and are supposed to be paying back, or what about Redcar who have publicly admitted to losing money on every meeting this year?

Of course but that's every club and has been for yonks, without benefactors (some call them sponsors) they're all in trouble but National league can run on less money and has the potential to survive longer. Belle Vue have a longer term model that includes a lot more than Speedway and whilst the sustainability may be a question for the Speedway it may not be for the overall future of the venue, a bit like King's Lynn really. The Dukes project has multi/shared facilities.

29 minutes ago, Whisperer said:

The Dukes project has multi/shared facilities.

That was the plan at Leicester with 5-a-side pitches, bmx track and study facilities etc. the planned area is still wasteland

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whisperer said:

This opportunity has most of that put to bed

Does it? As far as I can tell they haven't even announced a location yet, so it seems a stretch to say they have "planners, councils, neighbours with sensitive hearing, wonky landlords etc. etc" put to bed.

Let's be honest, for ever Belle Vue, Leicester etc there are a dozen dreamers with plans to revive a lost clubs. Therefore I can understand people's cynicism as we've all see and heard before.

The fact that this company is trying to crowdfund £10k, backed by so little tangible information, is also a little concerning.

4 hours ago, Whisperer said:

It's an easy world being a cynic. If you're wrong wrll people are too happy to see things go right to notice your error and if it goes wrong they can always say.

"SEE, I WAS RIGHT".

Sad really. I wish them luck at Bradford. In 1999 I helped revive Rye House. We were told then it was impossible.....can't be done....etc etc. 

I wish the project well but they have no money! Picking nicknames and body colours before the track is settled always seems to ring alarm bells - Blackburn Bullets, Harlow Rhinos, etc etc

1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

It's an easy world being a cynic. If you're wrong wrll people are too happy to see things go right to notice your error and if it goes wrong they can always say.

"SEE, I WAS RIGHT".

Sad really. I wish them luck at Bradford. In 1999 I helped revive Rye House. We were told then it was impossible.....can't be done....etc etc. 

Do you actually know it's Bradford?

From what I have been hearing about the return of  Bradford Speedway, I live in Bradford by the way, several weeks ago an application was put to the rugby club to reintroduce the sport back to Odsal, I do not know who the prospective promoter is by the way, but when the person was approached by the club to hear his plans he received a good reception, and started to put plans in place.

He contacted several people in the sport to start that plan, one person was Neil Vatcher, the other people contacted was Alan Bridgett, Glyn Taylor, and Colin Meredith, who rode for the old Bradford club in the 1970's.

Neil Vatcher met the prospective promoter, together with Rugby club's officials and things started to happen, Glyn Taylor came to Bradford to inspect the track, its currently covered in tarmac around the rugby pitch but it is still there underneath,  the tarmac could be ripped up to accommodate  a new FIM track, Alan Bridgett has been up to inspect the stadium and rugby corners, and it passed his inspection, and finally Colin Meredith has been up to inspect the old stadiums fence which was torn down a few years ago and the damage the rugby club did to it, but he has said there would be no problem installing a new fence, which would be covered by the air fences which we all know are in use today.

The current stadium is owned by Bradford Council, but the lease on the stadium is owned by the rugby club, how long that lease has to go I do not know, but bearing in mind the rugby club has an awful lot of debt, and I mean a lot of debt, its almost bankrupt again, and this would be the third time it has almost gone under, the Rugby Football League has bailed them out twice, and they must surely be ready to give up on the once almighty  Bradford Bulls, they have no money whatsoever does the rugby club.

These talks have been going on for a while now, and me been a keen speedway supporter wish them well, Bradford Council are up for it, but my fears would be when it comes to the stick in the mud Rugby directors, who are asking for a ridiculous rent of around 10k a meeting, Neil has said to the prospective promoter no more than 3k max would be possible, so hang on to your hats folks, its just possible speedway could be back at the massive Odsal bowl next year, I hope so, I'll buy the first season ticket if it does happen.

• Thanks 1

Interesting post. Even 3k per meeting would be ridiculous if they intend to run National league in my opinion 

• Like 1

"the track, its currently covered in tarmac around the rugby pitch but it is still there underneath,  the tarmac could be ripped up to accommodate  a new FIM track ".  Is that correct, as I thought when speedway returned to Bradford in 1985 the shale was laid on top of the tarmac as stock car owner / promoter at the time , the late Stuart Bamforth, wouldn't allow the tarmac to be removed as Odsal was intended to be used to stage FIM speedway events, don't think running a team or a Dukes relocation was considered at the time.  Not arguing, just being a track anorak and wanting to clarify. 

As for the Yorkshire Dukes, I was heard rumours of this project few months ago and got the impression the proposed site was nearer Halifax than Bradford.  Not being "I heard a secret and know more than you know", how I wish I could remember more of what I was told re: the potential location but I can't (!).  Either way, I wish both / either ventures the very best of luck, West Yorkshire always was a speedway hotbed and could become so again.  Would rather a new speedway project in East Yorkshire though B)....

55 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

"the track, its currently covered in tarmac around the rugby pitch but it is still there underneath,  the tarmac could be ripped up to accommodate  a new FIM track ".  Is that correct, as I thought when speedway returned to Bradford in 1985 the shale was laid on top of the tarmac as stock car owner / promoter at the time , the late Stuart Bamforth, wouldn't allow the tarmac to be removed as Odsal was intended to be used to stage FIM speedway events, don't think running a team or a Dukes relocation was considered at the time.  Not arguing, just being a track anorak and wanting to clarify. 

As for the Yorkshire Dukes, I was heard rumours of this project few months ago and got the impression the proposed site was nearer Halifax than Bradford.  Not being "I heard a secret and know more than you know", how I wish I could remember more of what I was told re: the potential location but I can't (!).  Either way, I wish both / either ventures the very best of luck, West Yorkshire always was a speedway hotbed and could become so again.  Would rather a new speedway project in East Yorkshire though B)....

It is only half a dozen miles or so between Odsal and Halifax

• Like 1

5 hours ago, STEPHEN 333 said:

From what I have been hearing about the return of  Bradford Speedway, I live in Bradford by the way, several weeks ago an application was put to the rugby club to reintroduce the sport back to Odsal, I do not know who the prospective promoter is by the way, but when the person was approached by the club to hear his plans he received a good reception, and started to put plans in place.

He contacted several people in the sport to start that plan, one person was Neil Vatcher, the other people contacted was Alan Bridgett, Glyn Taylor, and Colin Meredith, who rode for the old Bradford club in the 1970's.

Neil Vatcher met the prospective promoter, together with Rugby club's officials and things started to happen, Glyn Taylor came to Bradford to inspect the track, its currently covered in tarmac around the rugby pitch but it is still there underneath,  the tarmac could be ripped up to accommodate  a new FIM track, Alan Bridgett has been up to inspect the stadium and rugby corners, and it passed his inspection, and finally Colin Meredith has been up to inspect the old stadiums fence which was torn down a few years ago and the damage the rugby club did to it, but he has said there would be no problem installing a new fence, which would be covered by the air fences which we all know are in use today.

The current stadium is owned by Bradford Council, but the lease on the stadium is owned by the rugby club, how long that lease has to go I do not know, but bearing in mind the rugby club has an awful lot of debt, and I mean a lot of debt, its almost bankrupt again, and this would be the third time it has almost gone under, the Rugby Football League has bailed them out twice, and they must surely be ready to give up on the once almighty  Bradford Bulls, they have no money whatsoever does the rugby club.

These talks have been going on for a while now, and me been a keen speedway supporter wish them well, Bradford Council are up for it, but my fears would be when it comes to the stick in the mud Rugby directors, who are asking for a ridiculous rent of around 10k a meeting, Neil has said to the prospective promoter no more than 3k max would be possible, so hang on to your hats folks, its just possible speedway could be back at the massive Odsal bowl next year, I hope so, I'll buy the first season ticket if it does happen.

The lease on Odsal is now owned by the Rugby Football League, they bought the lease off the Bulls a few years back as they had ambitions of developing Odsal into the national RL stadium. The Bulls play there under a sub-lease from the RFL now. Any negotiations for use of the stadium would be with the RFL, not Bradford Bulls.