British Speedway Forum
Derwent

Bradford To Return ?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, martinmauger said:

"the track, its currently covered in tarmac around the rugby pitch but it is still there underneath,  the tarmac could be ripped up to accommodate  a new FIM track ".  Is that correct, as I thought when speedway returned to Bradford in 1985 the shale was laid on top of the tarmac as stock car owner / promoter at the time , the late Stuart Bamforth, wouldn't allow the tarmac to be removed as Odsal was intended to be used to stage FIM speedway events, don't think running a team or a Dukes relocation was considered at the time.  Not arguing, just being a track anorak and wanting to clarify. 

As for the Yorkshire Dukes, I was heard rumours of this project few months ago and got the impression the proposed site was nearer Halifax than Bradford.  Not being "I heard a secret and know more than you know", how I wish I could remember more of what I was told re: the potential location but I can't (!).  Either way, I wish both / either ventures the very best of luck, West Yorkshire always was a speedway hotbed and could become so again.  Would rather a new speedway project in East Yorkshire though B)....

The track is covered in tarmac today, what happened to the track when Bradford closed under the Ham brothers promotion, whether the shale  was taken up I do not know, but as far as I am aware the track is still there underneath it, that's why Glynn Taylor was there.

Stuart Bamforth was the promoter of the stock car promotion in  late 1975,  not the speedway when the last speedway promotion closed in 1975 under Jim Streets/Alan Knapkin,  Jim Streets I believe  went on to promote at Castleford,  there has been several times when the track has appeared when the stadium has had a revamp,  for example the third/fourth bend now have a massive function facility there,  I believe the Ham brothers together with Eric Boothroyd moved Halifax there in the mid eighties,  the first meeting back there was the World Pairs Final in 1985, by then the stock cars had another promoter. I may be wrong but I do not think I am, but rest assured the "Bradford return" is scheduled for Odsal, not another venue elsewhere.

Edited by STEPHEN 333

11 hours ago, MattK said:

Does it? As far as I can tell they haven't even announced a location yet, so it seems a stretch to say they have "planners, councils, neighbours with sensitive hearing, wonky landlords etc. etc" put to bed.

Let's be honest, for ever Belle Vue, Leicester etc there are a dozen dreamers with plans to revive a lost clubs. Therefore I can understand people's cynicism as we've all see and heard before.

The fact that this company is trying to crowdfund £10k, backed by so little tangible information, is also a little concerning.

Of course but there is more to be revealed that will give more comfort

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for clairification re: Odsal shale, knew about the structure built on the old pits high above turns 3 & 4.  Pretty sure Bammy was promoting stocks at Bradford in 1985, but of course he was defo running Belle Vue, speedway & stox, at that time.  Knew about Eric Boothroyd + the Hams running Halifax then onto Bradford, I used to watch there before Hull's return in 1995.  What a rivalry that was.  I heard rumours about the Dukes' possible return sometime earlier this year, assumed it was to be in Halifax area.  Only in this thread did I learn about the possible return of speedway to Bradford at Odsal.  Hope so, viewing from the home straight stand used to be brilliant, would be interesting from turns 3 & 4 too....

Edited by martinmauger
grammar

18 hours ago, MattK said:

Does it? As far as I can tell they haven't even announced a location yet, so it seems a stretch to say they have "planners, councils, neighbours with sensitive hearing, wonky landlords etc. etc" put to bed.

Let's be honest, for ever Belle Vue, Leicester etc there are a dozen dreamers with plans to revive a lost clubs. Therefore I can understand people's cynicism as we've all see and heard before.

The fact that this company is trying to crowdfund £10k, backed by so little tangible information, is also a little concerning.

You have reason to be sceptical but I get the impression that this has gone a lot farther down the line than some (all the noise about Norwich a few years ago, for example) . I suspect they are also being very careful about releasing the proposed site simply because everything hasn't been settled yet. It does, however, seem that many of the major issues have.

Speedway fans have been cynical and then been proved wrong. There was a huge amount of dismissive, disparaging and downright abusive comment about the construction of the NSS but it happened.

As to funding, didn't Peterborough do exactly the same thing a couple of years ago ? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, STEPHEN 333 said:

The track is covered in tarmac today, what happened to the track when Bradford closed under the Ham brothers promotion, whether the shale  was taken up I do not know, but as far as I am aware the track is still there underneath it, that's why Glynn Taylor was there.

Stuart Bamforth was the promoter of the stock car promotion in  late 1975,  not the speedway when the last speedway promotion closed in 1975 under Jim Streets/Alan Knapkin,  Jim Streets I believe  went on to promote at Castleford,  there has been several times when the track has appeared when the stadium has had a revamp,  for example the third/fourth bend now have a massive function facility there,  I believe the Ham brothers together with Eric Boothroyd moved Halifax there in the mid eighties,  the first meeting back there was the World Pairs Final in 1985, by then the stock cars had another promoter. I may be wrong but I do not think I am, but rest assured the "Bradford return" is scheduled for Odsal, not another venue elsewhere.

Bamforth was operating Stox at Odsal in 1985 and preceding years; not sure for how long after. But him and his lad were a regular feature there in the eighties.

It was a World Pairs Qualifier that reopened Odsal the day after the Valley Parade Fire in 1985.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Speedway fans have been cynical and then been proved wrong. There was a huge amount of dismissive, disparaging and downright abusive comment about the construction of the NSS but it happened.

A large amount of the the criticism of the planning for the NSS was regarding the funding.
All the plans seemed to involve a massive amount of spending and mounting debt that neither the promoters or stadium use could ever repay.

And no matter how we love the track and venue it was very valid criticism as that is a major issue today and one that is no closer to being solved.
No one knows how that will 'pan out' over the next few years ...

Those involved in West Yorkshire should not look to the NSS for it to give them confidence to get into massive debt; in the beief that it will be all OK once the yget the track opened  and the racing is fantastic.

The years following of trying to hold their head above water will be crucial and in the case of the NSS that is a story that is still evolving..

Edited by Grand Central

Whilst I would be very happy for this to happen. I can only see this with Private money & a lot of it if its Odsal.

I am a Bradford tax payer and I cannot see for the life of me, that Bradford Council would dig into their pockets for this and provide any equity.

Fingers crossed I am wrong

Quite why revivals at Bradford, Brafield or elsewhere are contemplated or even embarked upon remains a romantic mystery. There is no way that anyone can make speedway a profitable enterprise, now that public interest in it has slumped to near invisibility. In the 21st Century only - so they say - Matt Ford has turned a profit from his club. Without the Sky money, that is now uncertain. Even the NSS, which has proven to be a superb track on which great racing can be seen, has yet to prove to be a business success as a stadium.

Without a revival of interest in the sport by the general public, little progress can be made. Do people believe they can emulate Poland as it is today? Some will say this is an extremely negative view but it is also very realistic. Until crowds of real people are clamouring to pay to get in and very large companies of national repute are waving large bundles of money, there is no chance that "romantic" revivals will be successful. The noise about Norwich a few years ago turned into a whimper ( when they could not come up with the finances required ). More chance of success by opening speedway tracks in China. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

A large amount of the the criticism of the planning for the NSS was regarding the funding.
All the plans seemed to involve a massive amount of spending and mounting debt that neither the promoters or stadium use could ever repay.

And no matter how we love the track and venue it was very valid criticism as that is a major issue today and one that is no closer to being solved.
No one knows how that will 'pan out' over the next few years ...

Those involved in West Yorkshire should not look to the NSS for it to give them confidence to get into massive debt; in the beief that it will be all OK once the yget the track opened  and the racing is fantastic.

The years following of trying to hold their head above water will be crucial and in the case of the NSS that is a story that is still evolving..

I'd say that many people considered the NSS simply wouldn't happen at all. 

It did.

• Like 1

I thought they were putting a roof on Odsal and that's why it closed down... how's that coming along?

If you visit the Yorkshire Dukes Facebook page and look down their members list, you see that there are a lot of people of foreign extraction, all recruited by Mr Hayes. I wouldn't think they are likely to be long term fans but they certainly swell the numbers, slightly reminiscent of rentamob. Like others have mentioned, I too live quite near the stadium and would be very surprised if this happened, especially in light of the unimpressive fund raising thus far. Anyway, we shall see what becomes of it all, whatever I think.

According to the RFL’s annual report Bradford Bulls pay £84k a year to use the stadium, which also includes permanent use of the office and hospitality space. They have about 20 Home games a year so therefore the rent equates to ~£4K per game, less if you factor in an amount for the office buildings. 

14 minutes ago, Derwent said:

According to the RFL’s annual report Bradford Bulls pay £84k a year to use the stadium, which also includes permanent use of the office and hospitality space. They have about 20 Home games a year so therefore the rent equates to ~£4K per game, less if you factor in an amount for the office buildings. 

I understand the RFL own Odsal after the Bulls went into receivership. My Bulls supporting friend tells me they have a favourable rent agreement in place due to the fact the were relegated two divisions. Apparently the would have been in no position to carry on had this not been the case

I am hoping we see a track return for Bradford but we have seen positive rumours from closed down tracks up and down the Country, Norwich, Oxford now Bradford, and so far not a wheel has been turned. I get the feeling this will be the same. 

8 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Bamforth was operating Stox at Odsal in 1985 and preceding years; not sure for how long after. But him and his lad were a regular feature there in the eighties.

It was a World Pairs Qualifier that reopened Odsal the day after the Valley Parade Fire in 1985.

I went to the odsal reopener, but didn't realise it was so close to the Bradford fire. The valley parade tragedy is one football disaster the press tend to forget.