British Speedway Forum
T.N.T.

Chris Holder World Champion

Proved to be the best rider over the 12 rounds but boy oh boy he was lucky tonight. the ref bottled the semi final decision. if that had been any other semi in any other round he would have been excluded thats a certainty

Disagree Gavan, he was squeezed onto the grass, which was raised and it acted as a ramp. He was dealing with Pedersen fine, so I dont see why his brother felt the need to get involved as the situation escalated. Good work by Crump to take him away and to bring him back down to earth.

Shame his bike went in the final, credit to him for coming out and trying to complete the job on the night as we have seen many clinch the required points and then go to pieces. I think that makes him the youngest champ since Trick in 94, and of course the organisers will be very happy that the main sponsors rider is crowned World Champion in their 1st year of event sponsorship. Well done Chris.

• Like 2

I was reminded this morning by a good friend that thirty years ago, Bruce Penhall and Kenny Carter had an incident which virtually won and lost a world title, and that people are still arguing about that decision.

No doubt last night's semi-final will be getting dragged up, debated and argued about in 2042.

But what matters is that this week's Speedway Star will report that Chris Holder is World Champion, just as Bruce Penhall was in 1982.

• Like 1

Proved to be the best rider over the 12 rounds but boy oh boy he was lucky tonight. the ref bottled the semi final decision. if that had been any other semi in any other round he would have been excluded thats a certainty

To right he would, no doubt at all ... I like Holder but he was very lucky the ref had Aussie family :approve:

Congratulation to Chris Holder. Although, consistant, very quick, and always in with a shout, i thought fortunes favoured him tonight.

i think this will signal the start of the younger generation, taking over and winning the top prize from now on.

Next year will see the younger riders like, Ward, Vaculik; Sayfutdinov; Lindback; M J J, joining Holder at the front, and the older ones, following Crumpy and calling it a day.

Edited by GRW123

But what matters is that this week's Speedway Star will report that Chris Holder is World Champion, just as Bruce Penhall was in 1982.

Take it from me, the vastly expensive and super thin Speedway Star stopped stopped "mattering" in manys speedway fans lives years ago ... you get more info from Twitter & Facebook plus the clubs/riders website than you do out of that overpriced toilet paper :approve:

• Like 1

Take it from me, the vastly expensive and super thin Speedway Star stopped stopped "mattering" in manys speedway fans lives years ago ... you get more info from Twitter & Facebook plus the clubs/riders website than you do out of that overpriced toilet paper :approve:

Not a subscriber then. :wink:

I saw it last night,again on replay,and I havent changed my opinion,that is that Holder was very lucky to be in the re-run,in any event I dont think it wouldve seen the World Championchip change hands as Pedersen wasnt quick enough all night.

• Like 1

Er, I think the point was that Chris Holder is World Champion, not that Speedway Star matters.

Good decision by the ref in my opinion. It wasn't neccesary to make an exclusion and he took the best option. Bottling it? I suppose some people could see it that way, but it made a lot more sense to have the title decided on track - and the differeing poinions on here show that it was far from a clear cut thing over who was at fault.

As to whose fault it was - well if Holder had been excluded it would have been understandable and if Pedersen had been excluded then it wouldn't have been so I guess I'd say it was more Holder's fault. But all 4 back was the best call and, in any other race or any other meeting, there wouldn't have even been a debate about it.

Craig Ackroyd clearly didn't want to be remembered in the same way as Tore Kittleson either. Can't say I blame him.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 1

Congratulations Chris Holder, an excellent World Champion.

Good decision by the ref in my opinion. It wasn't neccesary to make an exclusion and he took the best option. Bottling it? I suppose some people could see it that way, but it made a lot more sense to have the title decided on track - and the differeing poinions on here show that it was far from a clear cut thing over who was at fault.

As to whose fault it was - well if Holder had been excluded it would have been understandable and if Pedersen had been excluded then it wouldn't have been so I guess I'd say it was more Holder's fault. But all 4 back was the best call and, in any other race or any other meeting, there wouldn't have even been a debate about it.

Craig Ackroyd clearly didn't want to be remembered in the same way as Tore Kittleson either. Can't say I blame him.

Doesn't the nature of a Grand Prix series mean that this race was as important as the 3rd race of the 4th GP, Or the first race of the first GP? I'm not sure as a fan I would be happy that decisions werent being made in all races (or even specific) so riders could decide it for themselves on track........ (but werent they on track already anyway?)

All 4 Back is a very nice 'rule' for a ref to fall back on...... i'm sure refs of other sports are very envious of such a nice cushion....... but it still needs to be a bonafide situation to use it.....

I've said elsewhere that no one likes to get in the way during a title battle .....but in his efforts to not be involved and be remembered for getting involved in the title run in ...the ref still managed to do just that

Taken from Chris's own website ...

Both Holder and Pedersen were up against each other in the second semi-final, and in a tight first bend, the Dane fell after being nudged off his bike by the Australian

So thats solved the arguments ... Chris SHOULD have been excluded :approve:

• Like 1