British Speedway Forum
scaramanga

Newcastle V Workington Sunday 14th

Hopefully Adam is fully fit and not coming back too soon , after our supporters bus journeys down to the PLRC and then we head all the way back up North to Newcastle should be a good atmosphere, very generous of Newcastle promotion to reduce admission to £5, at the least there will be 30 of us going to both :) . Fingers crossed for a fair track for two top sides and no more injuries to either side. Sunday has all the makings of being a really good day :cheers:

It will be great to have some Workington fans at Brough. I would be amazed and angry if the track produces as many crashes as last time. great that the promoters are offering such a cheap entry. £5.00 is nowt, so come and take advantage. Maybe all promoters should get together and make these offers commonplace otherwise speedway may self destruct as too expensive by half.

I hope the comets continue next year, otherwise some of us will have no one to have a go at ;)

• Like 3

I Love this forum, seems you can post from your Psychiatric ward :blink:

Looks like we have to wait for the official word on Newcastles reserve guests. A fit Adam Roynon will cause the diamonds a problem or two. Personally I like my matches to be between two strong as possible sides so Adam coming back is a good thing for spectators as he is great to watch. Our team is capable of winning, if all perform like we know they can.

Newcastle to reach the final? Er yes, 50-40 both matches eh? what! yes matron, I am out of bed again! :rofl:

Nurse Nurse its Scott Battleboat get me tablets can you give mr. danto a calming pill....its a wind up....calm down man...

£25 is a fiver off isn't it?

2 x £15 = £30 so £25 is £5 off surely?

I think Edinburgh recently charged £27 when they had a double-header.

its £5 cheaper than 2 meetings yes but how much rent and travel money will the workington promotion be paying out it wont be double will it

1 lot of travel money to the workington riders and 1 days rent to the rugby club so costs are reduced quite a bit compared to 2 seperate meetings

i think £20 would have been better price like others have said and after all even some elite league clubs have dropped entry fee to £10 to try and get the crowds in so a workington double header is £5 more expensive than 2 seperste elitte league meetings

Edited by scarra

its £5 cheaper than 2 meetings yes but how much rent and travel money will the workington promotion be paying out it wont be double will it

1 lot of travel money to the workington riders and 1 days rent to the rugby club so costs are reduced quite a bit compared to 2 seperate meetings

i think £20 would have been better price like others have said and after all even some elite league clubs have dropped entry fee to £10 to try and get the crowds in so a workington double header is £5 more expensive than 2 seperste elitte league meetings

Yes but only the income from one attendance instead of two at £15.00 a head or concessions.

It depends on the agreement with the Rugby club as far as stadium rent is concerned. It could be that the agreement is for each meeting and a double header might cost more for rental (I obviously don't know, which is why I say "could").

There will be two lots of points money, two lots of away travel money, four sets of tyres and perhaps extra medical cover expenses too. The tyre cost alone will be in the region of £1200.

As a recent guide, Somerset recently charged £23 for the double header with Newcastle, whilst the return double header at Brough was £25.

• Like 1

Two sides to every story Scarra, you never seem to have the ability to look at the bigger picture, but then again you clearly have very little time for the current promotion. So let’s aid your understanding of simple maths:

Adult cost to attend a typical meeting

Car Park - £1

Program - £2:50

Entry - £15 (Adult)

Total out-goings per adult supporter / meeting = £18:50, so that’s £37 for 2 meetings.

So what am I as a supporter likely to save as a result of the reduced entry for this weekend’s double header?

Car Park - £1 (saving of 100%)

Program - £2:50 (saving of 100%)

Entry to watch two meetings - £25 (saving of 16.5%)

Total cost for two meetings this weekend = £28:50

Total cost to attend 2 meetings normally = £37

Saving for me £8:50 or 23%

So what have the promotion gained?

Possible saving on fuel for the Comets riders (cost unknown) say £200

Possible saving on rent to the Rugby club (cost unknown) say £500 if anything at all

More people through the gate, very unlikely based upon recent weeks

What has the promotion lost as a result of the double header?

Loss of 1 week’s car park income

Loss of 1 weeks program sales

Loss of £2,500 from gate receipts (based upon 500 full paying adults)

Loss of £1000 from gate receipts (based upon 200 paying concession rates)

So the loss to the promotion is likely to be in the region of £3500+

Why are you comparing us to Elite League clubs who as you know full well are subsidised by Sky, when in fact we are comparable with other Premier league clubs holding double headers?

So in summary you and I save £8:50 and the promoter loses about £3, 500 sounds fair to me, wonder what you would say if your boss came up to you and said I am reducing your wage by 23%? And you think it is a good idea to reduce admission by another £5/ head, get real.

• Like 4

Keith has had it rough for the last 3 seasons. First there was the aftermath of the flood, crowds suffered because there was no bridge and some probably lost the habit and never came back. Last year we alone had a lot of rain offs and no doubt that affected crowd figures too, needn't mention the rain offs this season. He's put good teams together, we've been well placed in the league and still the crowds have dropped. This season after looking so promising went bagwash with the injuries but we still have chance of MORE silverware. I'm not saying he's perfect but he does have a point about people falling out with speedway. As for attendances Workington Reds' only had 386 for a FA Cup match last night. I just hope someone takes over and we have it next seaon

• Like 4

stemoc wrote

"Two sides to every story Scarra, you never seem to have the ability to look at the bigger picture, but then again you clearly have very little time for the current promotion"

i dont have much time at times but i also recognise what he has done and does for workington speedway

i know for a fact somethings are not as he would like us all to believe

6.30 to 10pm is only half hour longer than normal so the "wages" he pays for which isnt many exclueding riders and the bspa offical ref will not be much more if any as we all know how much he has cut costs that way the stewards are part of the rent and are paid by the rugby club with the exception of the safety officer and posibly the deputy safety officer i cant see them getting double money as a few weeks ago i know he tried to get out of paying for them when the meeting was called of at start time and bare in mind they had been there since around 5.30 and didnt finish untill after 8.00 as they still had duties to carry out regarding opening up and locking up after every body had left im not sure if they actually got paid or not but there was a agrement in the past that if a meeting got called of late on the did get a percentage of what they would normaly get

i accept that the income will not be the same amount as 2 seperate meetings but the base fees are much less and didnt he say in the past it was thease costs that were crippling him the high rent and high stewards bills

and last year it was the travel money he was complaining about when he went to the agm

i know its highly unlikely but you may even get more away fans as you have 2 seperate clubs to pull from but at the right price

newcastle on sunday is a very good example they undersytand a lot of fans will be at sheffiels and proberbly wouldnt go to the meeting sunday night so they offer entry for £5 as they realise its the best way to actually get some cash in instead of running to a almost empty stadium

birmingham are not the biggest draw in the top flight but they are charging £10 also swindon i believe have had a offer on for £10 its nothing personal its just a sign of the times people just hant got the money to pay top dollar

every week you go shopping the food bill is going up quite alot of people have to move money from 1 area to pay the esential bills so something has to give and for the ones with sense its the lesure side that is cut not the daily household bills

keith has built really strong teams the last couple of years nobody can say he hasnt that side of things hes got right but its some of the others he needs to work on unlike some i still go everyweek i can

i go for the speedway pure and simple

others would rather stop going but still follow what goes on because of some of the things keith has done some have personal 1 on 1 issues with keith some just dont like his aproach

• Like 1

stemoc wrote

"Two sides to every story Scarra, you never seem to have the ability to look at the bigger picture, but then again you clearly have very little time for the current promotion"

i dont have much time at times but i also recognise what he has done and does for workington speedway

i know for a fact somethings are not as he would like us all to believe

6.30 to 10pm is only half hour longer than normal so the "wages" he pays for which isnt many exclueding riders and the bspa offical ref will not be much more if any as we all know how much he has cut costs that way the stewards are part of the rent and are paid by the rugby club with the exception of the safety officer and posibly the deputy safety officer i cant see them getting double money as a few weeks ago i know he tried to get out of paying for them when the meeting was called of at start time and bare in mind they had been there since around 5.30 and didnt finish untill after 8.00 as they still had duties to carry out regarding opening up and locking up after every body had left im not sure if they actually got paid or not but there was a agrement in the past that if a meeting got called of late on the did get a percentage of what they would normaly get

i accept that the income will not be the same amount as 2 seperate meetings but the base fees are much less and didnt he say in the past it was thease costs that were crippling him the high rent and high stewards bills

and last year it was the travel money he was complaining about when he went to the agm

i know its highly unlikely but you may even get more away fans as you have 2 seperate clubs to pull from but at the right price

newcastle on sunday is a very good example they undersytand a lot of fans will be at sheffiels and proberbly wouldnt go to the meeting sunday night so they offer entry for £5 as they realise its the best way to actually get some cash in instead of running to a almost empty stadium

birmingham are not the biggest draw in the top flight but they are charging £10 also swindon i believe have had a offer on for £10 its nothing personal its just a sign of the times people just hant got the money to pay top dollar

every week you go shopping the food bill is going up quite alot of people have to move money from 1 area to pay the esential bills so something has to give and for the ones with sense its the lesure side that is cut not the daily household bills

keith has built really strong teams the last couple of years nobody can say he hasnt that side of things hes got right but its some of the others he needs to work on unlike some i still go everyweek i can

i go for the speedway pure and simple

others would rather stop going but still follow what goes on because of some of the things keith has done some have personal 1 on 1 issues with keith some just dont like his aproach

You are so full of these great ideas, lets see if you would think the same if it were you running Workington Speedway and the money was coming out of your pocket every week .... Mmmm be a totally different story :rolleyes: . We are no more expensive for a double header than others who have had to stage one, so for once stop moaning and show support , which I know doesn't come easily with you !!

You are so full of these great ideas, lets see if you would think the same if it were you running Workington Speedway and the money was coming out of your pocket every week .... Mmmm be a totally different story :rolleyes: . We are no more expensive for a double header than others who have had to stage one, so for once stop moaning and show support , which I know doesn't come easily with you !!

i show my suport by paying my way that dosnt mean i have to keep quiet about things

newcastle berwick birmingham all understand why crowds are dropping

it dosnt matter how good a deal is if its priced more than you can pay its out of your reach

just how much did scunthorpe charge for there double header on 7th september i know the 2nd 1 was a national league meeting but i think it was priced at £10 for 2 meetings

Edited by scarra
  • Like 1

Talking of tracks closing made me check how long Newcastle have gone this time. We used to close down and reopen quite often from 1929 onwards. The Diamonds closed 1994 and reopened 1997, we have had 16 years unbroken since 1997. George English has been promoter/team manager for 16 years and hopefully he will clock up a few more. Hats off to George he must be doing a good job, yes I know there are others behind George like Darryl Illingworth but George is in the foreground.

If Newcastle could close and then come back against the odds and lasted 16 years plus, Workington can do the same. Good luck comets and if you close remember Newcastle. If you close and later come back maybe you can equal the diamonds and run for 16 years at least too

Look out for turbo charged diamonds on sunday. We are desperate to win something after finishing top of the league (which means nowt). You have my current favourite rider Rene Bach. Always happy to watch him even if he takes points off our lads.

Edited by dantodan
  • Like 4

i show my suport by paying my way that dosnt mean i have to keep quiet about things

newcastle berwick birmingham all understand why crowds are dropping

it dosnt matter how good a deal is if its priced more than you can pay its out of your reach

just how much did scunthorpe charge for there double header on 7th september i know the 2nd 1 was a national league meeting but i think it was priced at £10 for 2 meetings

Exactly , thats why it was a tenner , big difference :rolleyes:

Exactly , thats why it was a tenner , big difference :rolleyes:

you just cant see the point can you money is hard to keep hold of and people just dont have enough of it to pay the high prices thats why other track are dropping there prices

£10 for 2 meetings where its £15 for 1 at workington

so going by your own coment if workington were to hold a double header and the 2nd match was a national league match it should be cheaper than a normal night at workington

you just cant see the point can you money is hard to keep hold of and people just dont have enough of it to pay the high prices thats why other track are dropping there prices

£10 for 2 meetings where its £15 for 1 at workington

so going by your own coment if workington were to hold a double header and the 2nd match was a national league match it should be cheaper than a normal night at workington

Yes I do get it, you need to get over it !!! Its £15 for 1 PL meeting at Worky at the minute and tomorrow its £25 for 2 meetings , I'l be paying it and most probably you will , difference being I don't moan about it

• Like 1