British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sammyjo13

The Play Offs

Ah, but as you'll find out if you head to Derwent Park on Saturday, Edinburgh are in the play-offs rather than the PCT.

well spotted :t:

Guest WTF1

In general, not this season. Obviously, 3 Scunthorpe riders and some guests could well win it this year

Oh dear are we still bitter that Workington were hammered with 4 Scunny riders who scored 47 points against your pathetic 28

Groups can easily lead to dead matches like Newcastle v Leicester

This wasn't a dead match as Leicester can still make the final

Oh dear are we still bitter that Workington were hammered with 4 Scunny riders who scored 47 points against your pathetic 28

Couldn't give a monkey's as I'm not a Workington fan. It is the principle that annoys the hell out of me.

• Like 2

if the league is decided by a play off system then i agree the team that finished top should maybe go straight to final then the next 3 play each other home and away to see who joins them in the final

Thats a good idea but it could leave the team who finish to doing nothing for about a month

This wasn't a dead match as Leicester can still make the final

And that was reflected by the hoarders of home supporters queued from the turnstiles out to the main road, causing the meeting to be delayed until they were all accommodated and the the "House Full" signs went up to disappoint all the latecomers.

Oh, it wasn't.

Especially in a season when crowds and income have plummeted, the fact that Leicester (in this instance) may have been able make it to the Final frankly isn't the point financially. Had it been on a knock out basis, Newcastle (in this instance) would have avoided the need to put a meeting on that meant nothing to those who were likely to turn up and pay for it.

At the risk of outraging the bobble hat wearers who still think that finance has no place in sport (yeah, that's a concern) thaw actual purpose of all of this is supposed to be to make money. Success supposedly makes this easier - but not with this system. Unless there's a couple of verysurprising results the same loss-making scenario will be played out at Leicester on Saturday & certainly Armadale next week.

Edited by Backless

The weather has played a big part in the lateness of sqeezing matches in but also, it boils down to teams not getting matches in where possible. To still have League cup matches to play at this late stage is a joke. You also get a club that does well throughout the season having more matches to sqeeze in. Workington in LC, KOC & play-offs with 3 meetings this w/e & 2 next(hope the weather is kind). We suffered back in '06 &'07 getting our fixtures in, but that was because of an awkward promoter from the SW making things difficult for us.

Reguarding guests, it is the nature of the sport that injuries happen. Unfortunately, due to double up/down riders, injuries happen 24hrs before other meetings so guests ARE required. Our top 4 riders were missing friday so we had to use the system in place to get a meeting out of the way. It was only on Sat 15 September that Workington did the same v Glasgow!!! What short memories some people have.

And that was reflected by the hoarders of home supporters queued from the turnstiles out to the main road, causing the meeting to be delayed until they were all accommodated and the the "House Full" signs went up to disappoint all the latecomers.

That wasn't your point.... You said it was a dead meeting which it wasn't. The week before we ran a double header in which both meetings meant something but I never saw the house full signs,!traffic jams or queues there either. So what is your point?

Couldn't give a monkey's as I'm not a Workington fan.

LOL!!

• Like 1

That wasn't your point.... You said it was a dead meeting which it wasn't. The week before we ran a double header in which both meetings meant something but I never saw the house full signs,!traffic jams or queues there either. So what is your point?

All the more reason not to be running pointless fixtures from the perspective of the staging club.

What's my point? Let's see if this helps:

Especially in a season when crowds and income have plummeted, the fact that Leicester (in this instance) may have been able make it to the Final frankly isn't the point financially. Had it been on a knock out basis, Newcastle (in this instance) would have avoided the need to put a meeting on that meant nothing to those who were likely to turn up and pay for it.

If the people of Tyneside didn't turn out in their masses for the double header the previous week, when there was something at stake for them, having to stage a pointless fixture (from the home club's / fans' perspective) is just a drain on resources - thus making what must be an already financially difficult season just that little bit worse.

You seem to be getting so carried away with the play-offs, Scunny have NOT won the Championship yet and with Somerset the favourite to get there , (we will need a miracle to get a draw/win from Armadale our bogey track :sad: but you never know!! ), you would more than likely meet them and I know who my money will be going on , definately not the Scorpions :P

You seem to be getting so carried away with the play-offs, Scunny have NOT won the Championship yet and with Somerset the favourite to get there , (we will need a miracle to get a draw/win from Armadale our bogey track :sad: but you never know!! ), you would more than likely meet them and I know who my money will be going on , definately not the Scorpions :P

Your money may not be on the Scorpions, but is that decision based on what your head or your heart is telling you ?

If Scunthorpe and Somerset meet over two legs will the bookies be offering beter odds on the Scorpioons or the Rebels ? Most neutral observers would say that it would be a toss-up between the two teams.

Edited by EC Rides Again
  • Like 1

Ah, but as you'll find out if you head to Derwent Park on Saturday, Edinburgh are in the play-offs rather than the PCT.

yep i actually knew that dont know why i used edinbrugh as example maybe old age and brain fade

Guest WTF1

Wel if you want to throw your money away that's up to you :icon_smile_clown: