British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 52

ISSUE 52 of the retro magazine for speedway lovers of the 70s and 80s is out now. This 48-page issues features:

JOHN BERRY TRIBUTES

In our first edition of the magazine since the sad death of our lead columnist on August 3, this issue is dominated by tributes to the former Ipswich and England boss, widely regarded as one of the greatest promoters of his era.

Among those paying their respects here are JB’s former Ipswich riders, including Ron Bagley, John Louis, Tony Davey, Ted Howgego, Stan Pepper, Olle Nygren and Preben Eriksen, plus other friends and associates from Foxhall: James Easter, Pat Doncaster, Ray Walters, Fred Cotton and Ray Chinnery.

Past world champions Ivan Mauger, Barry Briggs, Anders Michanek and Michael Lee also remember Berry, along with former promoters Reg Fearman and Martin Rogers and scribes John Chaplin and Bob Radford.

There are pictures from the recent memorial meeting at Ipswich, where we also recorded the personal thoughts of June Wright, John’s middle sister, who recalls the other side to her brother.

SIMMO’S COLUMN

Our star columnist Malcolm Simmons returns with his own memories of John Berry, his Engand team manager and the man who appointed him captain when the Lions roared as speedway’s No.1 power in the 70s.

Simmo also continues his British track review and this time he takes a look back at Poole, a venue very familiar to him from his halcyon days as the Pirates’ superstar No.1.

IVAN: A fan’s view

American-based supporter John Davidson explains his lifelong admiration for the six times World Champion and why he was the only fan in Manchester gutted by Peter Collins’ world title victory.

Quote from John: “Frequently, there was more drama between his leaving the pit gate and arriving at the starting tapes than most riders provided in a month of actual racing.”

1982 WORLD FINAL – Brue’s final act, but don’t forget Les

Thirty years on . . . Richard Bott, who was a member of the British press corps in Los Angeles, covering the 1982 World Final for the Sunday Express, BBC Radio Manchester and Speedway Star, looks back on a drama-filled night that had the hallmark of a Hollywood script.

BARRY THOMAS

Few riders seem to spend more than one or two seasons with the same club these days, which makes the fact that Barry Thomas gave almost 20 years’ loyal service to Hackney an even more incredible achievement. We caught up with the spectacular Thommo, the only rider to be awarded TWO testimonial meetings by the same track and a top bloke who liked to mingle with the fans.

Quote from Thommo:

“I would like to try it all over again and have a second chance to live and breathe speedway. But whether I’d have lasted 20 years, I don’t know. I was speaking to Paul Woods earlier and he thinks the same way as me. He said he wouldn’t have enjoyed his time in speedway as much if he’d been more professional and I know exactly what he means.”

COLLECTING . . . STICKERS

In our last issue we looked at all the weird and wonderful designs of programme boards lovingly preserved by our readers – from the basic home-made wooden and Perspex versions to the colourful art paintings of individual riders that helped to illuminate the terraces and stands on the darkest of race nights.

Likewise, speedway supporters are known for hoarding collections of stickers, be they for their car or programme board, as our recent appeal to Backtrack readers confirmed!

The response was a deluge of designs spanning the 60s, 70s and 80s from all over the country, which we reproduce for your pleasure over the next three pages. You’ll no doubt recognise some while others will stimulate happy memories of past tracks visited.

DEREK HARRISON

Becoming a speedway rider was a dream come true for this King’s Lynn fan but as we reveal, not even multiple injuries could force Derek Harrison to quit before he was finally ready to.

Quote from Derek:

“The National League was supposed to be a training ground for the British League but it had become a league in its own right, with its own fan base. A lot of people preferred NL racing, because it was more exciting to watch and races weren’t a foregone conclusion.”

THE BIG YIN

Recalling what is widely regarded as the biggest speedway meeting ever staged in Scotland, including a controversial scrap involving the local hero and the Englishman who became Public Enemy No.1 north of the border.

Plus . . .

Q&As with RICK TIMMO, LARRY KOSTA, TONY SWALES and your letters.

To order this issue, please follow this link: http://www.retro-speedway.com

Ordered, just for the Barry Thomas article. My favourite rider EVER!

You should get it all the time. A great read. :approve: :approve: