British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
barrow boy

New Starting Proceedures.

Perhaps they should be required to have tanks holding enough for several additional laps in case re-runs are needed?

NO! Them saved 4 ozs mean they are so much faster round the track :rofl:

There isn't the need to frame any new starting rules - just a need to rigidly enforce the existing rules! "Two minutes" should mean that a rider has 2 minutes to be at the start line (or a rest line drawn across the width of the track 2 metres behind the tapes. Any digging, rocking backwards and forwards or turning back towards the last bend should be included in the two minutes and there should be no reserve replacement for a rider excluded under the two minute rule.

Riders can't have it both ways. They should have two minutes to be ready to start the race - not two minutes to get out on the track and then as long as they please to get themselves ready.

To avoid confusion, the two minute warning should be sounded before the start of every race, and the pits gate should only be opened when it is sounded.

All it needs are hard and fast rules that are rigidly observed. There would be chaos at first whilst riders tried it on, but they'd soon get the message and meetings would be speeded up accordingly once this has sunk in.

• Like 6

There is more time wasting at the starts than ever now. I think that starting marshalls are now being totally ignored with many riders not wanting to line up until the others have done so. When more than one rider does this it takes forever. Sometimes the referees flash the green light to tell them to hurry up but this is a waste of time because they simply do their own thing. Gate one should be asked to line up first then gate two and so on. Riders not conforming to the satisfaction of the referee to be dealt with after the race has been completed.

I would have a line several feet back from the start line, once the riders assemble there put them under starters orders, as soon as they have approached the tapes and are looking to be stationary, I would release the tapes. If any of them has committed an offence like tape touching, I would allow the race to finish and then exclude them after the race finishes. Anyone gardening or pretending to adjust their clutch would also be excluded after the race, NO EXCEPTIONS!

I would have a line several feet back from the start line, once the riders assemble there put them under starters orders, as soon as they have approached the tapes and are looking to be stationary, I would release the tapes. If any of them has committed an offence like tape touching, I would allow the race to finish and then exclude them after the race finishes. Anyone gardening or pretending to adjust their clutch would also be excluded after the race, NO EXCEPTIONS!

Personally I would modify that so that once over the line they would have 30 seconds to prep their gate and once they are positioned by the start marshall any backward movement would result in an exclusion.

• Like 1

Personally I would modify that so that once over the line they would have 30 seconds to prep their gate and once they are positioned by the start marshall any backward movement would result in an exclusion.

So we are agreed then. Something must be done.

So we are agreed then. Something must be done.

Yes agreed, but as this is a "rules" thing is it down to the promoters or the referees to instigate...and do they (the refs) have such meetings to address isues liek this?

If a rider moves but does not touch the tapes and is in the vision of another rider who reacts and touches the tapes. Should this be deemed to be a faulty start and not a disqualification?

maybe once the start marshall get them upto the tapes, something can go behind the 4 riders (tape/bar etc), to stop them pulling back to try and get a roller!

• Like 1

every track get a big 2 minute clock.

any rider not stationery and ready to race at 0.00 to be excluded..

all I know is something has to be done as it is really is getting tedious...

• Like 4

Riders who touch the tapes should be made to start from 15 metres and should not be replaced by a reserve from the gate. On Saturday at Leicester, Coventry brought in a better rider who was allowed to start from the gate which was obviously an advantage.

• Like 2

Don't know if this has been suggested before , but why not put the tapes on a timer , once the ref puts the green light on there will be say 5 seconds until the tapes go up , anyone who charges the tapes and hits them gets thrown out