British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
barrow boy

New Starting Proceedures.

A referee who is a very good friend of mine once told me that if he saw a rider move before he had completely pressed the starting button he would bring it back if said rider seemed to have gained an unfair advantage. So if no prior movement was detected and a rider guessed correctly he would not bring it back. How many times has a speedway commentator called it unsatisfactory because a rider anticipated. So what if he did. If he did not move before the referee hit the start button he should be allowed to continue.

I am back again to talk about riders messing about at the starts which as you will know from my previous posts is a major irritation to me. I was watching a Polish match recently and was informed by the commentator that no riders are allowed out on to the track until the pits marshall was satisfied that all riders were ready to go and he then asked the referee to hit the 2 minute warning button. Riders then had 2 minutes to proceed to the start and be ready to race before the 2 minutes had expired. Simple really. No excessive time wasting gardening and no waiting for another rider to line up.

4 minutes ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

I am back again to talk about riders messing about at the starts which as you will know from my previous posts is a major irritation to me. I was watching a Polish match recently and was informed by the commentator that no riders are allowed out on to the track until the pits marshall was satisfied that all riders were ready to go and he then asked the referee to hit the 2 minute warning button. Riders then had 2 minutes to proceed to the start and be ready to race before the 2 minutes had expired. Simple really. No excessive time wasting gardening and no waiting for another rider to line up.

How is that different to the 2 minutes in the UK?

18 minutes ago, Grachan said:

How is that different to the 2 minutes in the UK?

In the UK the referees are usually happy that all riders are proceeding to the tapes within the 2 minutes but they are then allowed as much time as they can get away with once they are at the start to dig around etc.  In Poland they have to start the race as soon as the 2 minutes are up.

3 minutes ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

In the UK the referees are usually happy that all riders are proceeding to the tapes within the 2 minutes but they are then allowed as much time as they can get away with once they are at the start to dig around etc.  In Poland they have to start the race as soon as the 2 minutes are up.

According to the rule book, any gate preparations after the 2 minutes expires is a starting offence and warrants an exclusion.

For me this isn't really an issue in British speedway. There's more of an issue with the time it actually takes for the two minutes to be sounded, rather than what happens within it.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

According to the rule book, any gate preparations after the 2 minutes expires is a starting offence and warrants an exclusion.

For me this isn't really an issue in British speedway. There's more of an issue with the time it actually takes for the two minutes to be sounded, rather than what happens within it.

Watched one of the videos on the SGB site a couple of days ago when the bulk of the video was 4 riders digging around !  - mostly off their machines, . . . .for far longer than the race itself.
It needs controlling, i.e. limiting.

5 minutes ago, britmet said:

Watched one of the videos on the SGB site a couple of days ago when the bulk of the video was 4 riders digging around !  - mostly off their machines, . . . .for far longer than the race itself.
It needs controlling, i.e. limiting.

If it's within the 2 minute time allowance, then what's the problem? They should have started the video later.

The paying public on the terraces were obviously kept waiting even longer !  That's the problem ! !

21 hours ago, Grachan said:

It might be the rule but it is very rarely applied. I agree the riders should be allowed to prepare for their start in any way they wish but it should be within the 2 minutes and not whatever they can get away with. Sometimes referees give them a green light flash to encourage them to hurry up but they still take no notice. It is not just the digging around that is the problem it is also riders who consistently delay the starts by refusing to line up until others have done so. There is incidentally a rule that calls for the starting marshalls to line them up in gates 1,2,3,4 order but this is ignored by such riders who insist on lining up last.