British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SteveEvans

Premier League 2013

Don't know how the fans of the teams feel (which incidentally is the most important thing) but it seems its really difficult with the number of teams in the PL to get a good format for the league.

Last year was the 'one league all season' format, whch got very confusing with the B fixtures not being decided until August.

This year it went back to the pre league regionalized cup (lopsided groups do to the northern teams outnumbering the rest 8-5), League, Cup and now these round robin play offs. All these competitions to me get very confusing and if you throw in the likes of the Pairs and Fours its simply too many title's you can win.

To me neither format is perfect - 13 is a bad number, possibly the worst as its only 12 actual league fixtures unless you use the 2011 format or vary it like the EL does with a limited amount of B fixtures.

One thought I would have is when the league had 16-18 teams you had enough dates for most of a full season - anything like a League Cup would be just 3 matches at the start which was more of a warm up versus 1/3 of the season.

The league has had teams in recent times that dropped out because it was unviable - Stoke, Mildenhall, IOW. Would it be better to lower the costs of staging PL speedway to get these clubs back and have more teams (as well as easing the financial stress on clubs right now who are not making it at this level)?

As it stands right now if Leicester move up, Plymouth move down and Workington close thats just 10 teams next season. I suppose you could go twice around but thats some long drives between the north and Southern outposts.

Edited by SteveEvans

Yeah, that's the big worry. 13 is an awkward number. Knew thr=ere was something wrong with the Premier League this year, & that's probably it.

By the time March comes around, a more convenient number of the teams will be the least of the worries.

Reading the Speedway Star over the last couple of weeks,the amount of promotions worried about their crowd levels is a alarming,all of them say that costs need to be reduced.We lost Newport last winter,Plymouth look like changing hands,Workington could be up for sale,hopefully we will have at least the same number for next season as this,that,at least would be a start.

Yeah, that's the big worry. 13 is an awkward number. Knew thr=ere was something wrong with the Premier League this year, & that's probably it.

By the time March comes around, a more convenient number of the teams will be the least of the worries.

You can only run with the # of teams you get. The 2012 format in my opinion was not good. If it stays at 13 I'd prefer the EL format of select B fixtures and run 18 league matches home and away and a then a 4 team play off at the end.

Obviously much depends on the number of teams declaring to run at PL level next year, but with the increasingly unpredictable Summer weather and the continuing reduction in disposable income, is it not time for a reduced fixture list with the emphasis on quality rather than quantity?

What's wrong with only 10 or 12 home league fixtures plus a cup competition?

More and more fans now pick and choose which home meetings they attend, so having a home meeting virtually every week can only dilute the attendance and income, whereas a home meeting on average every second week would surely ensure a higher level of attendance per meeting.

Less meetings = less costs, whilst giving promoters more time and opportunity to actually promote each meeting and enhance the quality of the whole 'experience', thus attracting and keeping new customers/fans. . . . . . maybe?

Its a fine line in fixtures I think. If you cut them it may help for those who pick and choose but on the other hand, not running every week can get fans out of the groove of going. I certainly agree with the 'enhance the quality of the whole experience' part.

It looks like the lions will be putting there forms in to go into the elite leauge so the local radio was saying

You can only run with the # of teams you get. The 2012 format in my opinion was not good. If it stays at 13 I'd prefer the EL format of select B fixtures and run 18 league matches home and away and a then a 4 team play off at the end.

If the Premier League fannies about like the Elite League by picking a few random fixtures to pad things out, close the door, switch off the light and let it die in peace

• Like 2

no end of season play-offs to decide league champions

Edited by bri1966
  • Like 4

Tis a tricky one. A couple of years ago fans were saying there's too many meaningless fixtures so they tried something different last year which really didn't work so back to the sort of norm for this year but again fans still saying too many meaningless fixtures towards the end of the season. If you shortened the season and raced only the league and KO cup matches would the clubs that rent their stadium generate enough income to cover the rent? I personally would not like the one week on, one week off scenario because, as someone already posted, you quickly get out of the habit of going. If we're looking for serious competition why not start the year with a proper four team tournament, rounds and final to be decided before the league starts and why not try some sort of GP system for the PL riders. I haven't worked out all the details but might be worth looking at further

no end of season play-offs

Yeah, because it was exciting last year, watching the PL cough and fart it's way to its conclusion, weeks after Glasgow won - Plymouth with a team full of NL riders was the exciting climax to last season at Newcastle, wasn't it? As opposed to packed crowds for the Play Off Final & Pointless / Relegation Challenge with Ipswich.

Can't be on with big crowds, strangers standing where the regulars stand, queues for chips, got to stop all that.

• Like 2

Football fans seem to cope ok with one home league fixture every other week. Rather than getting out of the habit of going, surely it would make you keener to go when the opportunity arises?

And the play-offs must stay, in some form. They need tweaking, but the concept is a winner financially.

It looks like the lions will be putting there forms in to go into the elite leauge so the local radio was saying

Yes, looks like Lions are applying to join the elite league for next season.David Hemsley was interviewed on Radio Leicester last night & said he would be handing in the elite league application forms within the next 2 weeks.

13 heats plus a second half to bring the youngins on and to teast engines etc. keep the k.o. cup bring back the 4s. qualifying system..statr the season march 1st. the team with the most points at the end of the season are champions end of...

• Like 2