British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SteveEvans

Premier League 2013

Would Chris Louis be allowed to be a promoter at 2 different clubs? He's not Terry Russell after all! Or even would he want to?

Suggest you look at the history of Speedway- Mike Parker promoted at around 12 Speedway tracks and if it had not been for him Speedway as we know it would have died out. John Berry promoted at Ipswich and Birmingham in the same league. There have numerous promoters who have promoted at more than one track in the same league.

What was the reason for doing away with 13 heats, and when did it happen? Didn't they use 14 at one time?

Late 80's I believe. The reason it was done away with (IMO) was that the top riders didn't face each other enough. This was compensated for by having a "proper" second half with heat leaders competing against each other in things like the Silver Helmet.

This was found to cause too many injuries to the top riders, so the 15 heat formula was introduced, which was kind of a half-way house with every rider facing every other rider over the course of the meeeting.

There has also been 16 and 18 heat formulas (really didn't like the 18 heat formula) but I think the 15 heat formula is the one I prefer.

It went in 1987 after they tried out the 15 heats in the KO Cup, I prefer 15 heats but with the original tactical rules so that you can have as many as you like, IMO a lot of the problems this year have been caused by promotions agreeing the restaging dates or cup tie dates between themselves, I believe in the 70's these were organised by the BSPA and they also had designated weeks for the Cup competition. If this had occurred then League fixtures would have been moved back and the League Cup concluded in June/early July and we would not have had the Workington/Ipswich farce or in the Elite League drawn out of the hat option. The playoffs don't help and maybe next year they should just revert to home and away ties for the top four and do away with the round robin groups.

Late 80's I believe. The reason it was done away with (IMO) was that the top riders didn't face each other enough. This was compensated for by having a "proper" second half with heat leaders competing against each other in things like the Silver Helmet.

This was found to cause too many injuries to the top riders, so the 15 heat formula was introduced, which was kind of a half-way house with every rider facing every other rider over the course of the meeeting.

There has also been 16 and 18 heat formulas (really didn't like the 18 heat formula) but I think the 15 heat formula is the one I prefer.

cant remember too much about the 13 ht formula but i do like proper 2nd halves be it just juniors having there first laps or proper junior racing i like watching riders develop like i did with richard lawson and craig cook at workington can also remeber a young william lawson coming down to workington

we now have kyle bickley at workington still very young but looks to have potential to go far

cant remember too much about the 13 ht formula but i do like proper 2nd halves be it just juniors having there first laps or proper junior racing i like watching riders develop like i did with richard lawson and craig cook at workington can also remeber a young william lawson coming down to workington

we now have kyle bickley at workington still very young but looks to have potential to go far

Your right Scarra the young lads need the opportunity to come through which the 2nd halves used to give to them. that said Northside are doing a great job in both promoting the sport and giving opportunities to the next generation of riders and long may that continue.

• Like 2

now then, now then, now then. with workington being the fall guys for the missing 5 heats or so in last weeks meet v ippo. a return to the old 13 heat formula would be the way forward.(back to the future).. the shortened heats would give the chance for the meeting to run its full course and not have the stupid decision of names out of a hat or a team backing out of the comp, ala , worky.

the second half should still be run as it was in the 70s . everyone still gets the extra ride and the up n comers would get a chance to race just before the rider of the night race. plus the public are getting the same entertainment in the time they are there.

BRING BACK 13 HEATS PLUS 2ND HALF/++

Edited by jenga

Your right Scarra the young lads need the opportunity to come through which the 2nd halves used to give to them. that said Northside are doing a great job in both promoting the sport and giving opportunities to the next generation of riders and long may that continue.

yes i have to agree the new set up at northside has worked brilliantly not only for the ones who are starting out but it has even brought the odd after meeting riders to derwent park some of which have imporoved a lot from when they rode in the past

Suggest you look at the history of Speedway- Mike Parker promoted at around 12 Speedway tracks and if it had not been for him Speedway as we know it would have died out. John Berry promoted at Ipswich and Birmingham in the same league. There have numerous promoters who have promoted at more than one track in the same league.

was he at Doncaster at the same time as well?

Think it was because riders couldnt be arsed to stay for 2nd half they would rather go abroad to earn...wouldnt happen now !!!!!!! They came up with reason to replace the original!!!!!!!!!

Regional competition at the start of the season, to allow the promotions to benefit from increased crowds due to travelling support. Points not to be included in averages, to prevent any suspicion of average 'fixing'.

Premier League to be single round, home and away.

Bring back the four team tournament mid-season, regionally-based, as qualifier for Peterborough.

Knock-out Cup, based on aggregate scores, and no tactical rides.

Play-offs, properly named to avoid aggravation!

With a couple of challenge matches to start the campaign, this should mean, in a 12-team league:-

2 challenge matches

3 regional cup matches

11 league matches

1 fours qualifier

1 knockout cup match

2 play-off matches

A season of 20 matches, with hardly any filler, and extra cup matches for the more successful teams. Less successful teams attract fewer supporters, generally, and would not need to drag the season on. More successful teams have more supporters, generally, and could benefit from extra meetings.