British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dontforgetthefueltapsbruv

Workington V Ipswich Lc S/f 13/10

I reckon that as the meetings have started the precedent this season is Belle Vue v Birmingham. At the time of abandoning the second meeting the current score was used and Birmingham went through.

Peterboro v Swindon never got to race so they drew it out of a hat.

Based on this the BSPA, if consistent, should allow Ipswich to progress to the final.

Would also favour the team who can win the first leg of the final in case the second leg gets rained off, whilst historically everyone wanted the second leg at home.

So we dont end up with the BSPA having to make a stupid ruling. Why not just say to Workington, this meeting has to be raced Tues/Wed this Week, if you cant arrange it then you lose the tie, we all know what the answer will be, and the Sport doesn't look too stupid (again).

If this competition had been ridden in June (when it should have been) then we wouldn't be having these problems. And to those that say "but then the League wouldn't be finished", look what happened when we EVENTUALLY got a cut off date for the group Matches. Sheffield & Scunny got called off, so they hastily arranged to ride on an off night the following Week. It could and should have been sorted, but this proves the need for an independent fixture organiser, clubs picking and choosing when they ride, just simply doesn't work.

Been decided; result as at abandonment to stand, Ipswich to go into the League Cup Final.

'YET again the weather has wreaked havoc with Premier League fixture planning - following the abandonment of the Premier League Cup Semi-Final between Workington and Ipswich at Derwent Park on Saturday.

Both clubs have approached the BSPA Management Committee for help and support to resolve the issue as their respective fixture problems increase.

David Hoggart, speaking on behalf of the Committee, said: “We have had to take a common sense approach to the difficulties the weather has created, and the only way to prevent both Scunthorpe and Somerset as well as other competitions being similarly affected is to allow the aggregate result at the point of abandonment to stand.

“As I indicated last week, the circumstances are on an unprecedented scale and we have had to make some unprecedented decisions that are not universally popular. But to force four clubs to run numerous fixtures between them on off race days in shared stadiums is not in the best interests of the sport.

“The planning and use restrictions on both Somerset and Ipswich are well-documented, notwithstanding Workington's inability to come up with a date that does not impede the competition.”

Workington Team Manager Tony Jackson added: “In order that the competition can progress to its conclusion, we feel that we have no option available to us other than to agree that the aggregate scores after the 24 completed heats of the semi-final shall determine which team progresses to the final; and that team will be Ipswich, who will now face Somerset in the final.

“It is disappointing not to be able to offer a restaging date; nevertheless, we wish both teams well for the final.”

Personally, I think that is a correct decision based upon common sense and the fixture pile up.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

Bad year all round :sad: injuries , rain offs, threat of closure hanging over Workington Speedway.......still have had some exciting racing at Derwent Park in 2012 on a decent track....oh and some great riders.

We have won the Pairs and are still technically in two competitions, so hopeffully we can still grab a trophy.

Speedway in 2013 at Workington....i certainly hope so. :neutral:

The right decision and pleased to see my team through.

You have to feel for Worky given how their season has gone.

Perhaps still a Koc final and a chance to gain revenge?!

The right decision and pleased to see my team through.

You have to feel for Worky given how their season has gone.

Perhaps still a Koc final and a chance to gain revenge?!

You would think it was the right decision, Ipswich went through , complete farce !!! If the weather is gona affect results next season lets just wait for a wet night , meetings abandoned and teams going through on aggregate at the time of call off :D:mad: what a joke. Sums our season up, injuries,weather, the list of bad luck goes on. Rene and Rich now second hand for this weekend , a win at Armadale needed Fri ( a miracle on our bogey track) and 18 points to pull back Saturday which without Rene and Rich is an uphill battle . Roll on 31st October :neutral:

You would think it was the right decision, Ipswich went through , complete farce !!! If the weather is gona affect results next season lets just wait for a wet night , meetings abandoned and teams going through on aggregate at the time of call off :D:mad: what a joke. Sums our season up, injuries,weather, the list of bad luck goes on. Rene and Rich now second hand for this weekend , a win at Armadale needed Fri ( a miracle on our bogey track) and 18 points to pull back Saturday which without Rene and Rich is an uphill battle . Roll on 31st October :neutral:

Hopefully Richard and Rene will be back on Friday, cannot see Worky getting any points at Edinburgh but we might just get an aggergate win against Newcastle if all the lads are fighting fit.

Edited by topaz325

Hopefully Richard and Rene will be back on Friday, cannot see Worky getting any points at Edinburgh but we might just get an aggergate win against Newcastle if all the lads are fighting fit.

No I can't see us getting anything from Armadump either , Rene was going for an xray on his hand today and Rich popped his good shoulder out and was very stiff at the end of meeting , they will both feel a bit rough today I would think. Hopefully back for Saturday for us , fingers crossed

Ippo going through is the best result for everyone concerned as it eases the fixture congestion - but it's not the correct result! But hey, what does that matter?

From what I heard last night we might not neeed to bother about going back to Edinburgh .something is supposed to be announced in two weeks time .

Edited by lady s

In the end it was the weather that got the better of the teams but would the remaining 3 heats to get to the 12th heat have been able to be run considering the 10pm cutoff? The rather prolonged interval between the double header and then more track grading once the meeting went ahead certainly didn't help Workington's cause. As for the Witches, thats 2 cup finals from a season that for ALL teams has been one to forget really...

From what I heard last night we might not neeed to bother about going back to Edinburgh .something is supposed to be announced in two weeks time .

? Two weeks time but we are due to be at Edinburgh this comig Friday.

Are you not at Edinburgh this week though, an announcment in 2weeks time ?

Workington are but it will be announced about Edinburgh in two weeks Blimey I wish I had not posted anything now