British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Slc03

Ignition Timing Disc

I have got a complete new ignition for my bike but just need a step by step guide as to how i go about setting the timing when i put it in, i have the timing disc and pointer but just need some guidence from there. Thanks in advance.

First thing is to find top dead centre (TDC) put your timing disc on and get the piston at the top and set your pointer on zero then to find exact TDC I made my own tool using an old spark plug which I drilled the centre out and tapped to 8mm then screwed some 8mm rod in so it protrudes about inch and a half, the end of this rod wants to have no sharp edges as it will touch your piston. Turn the engine so the piston is a few inches from the top then screw in the TDC tool you now have. Now turn the crank slowly untill the piston touches the TDC tool (gently, gently) for example let's say your pointer is now reading 34 degrees now turn the engine the other way untill it touches the TDC tool again let's say it now reads 30 dergees. You now know your pointer is 2 degrees out so move your pointer then repeat the process so in this case when the piston touches the TDC tool the pointer should be on 32 degrees whichever way you turn the engine. Now when you remove the TDC tool the piston will be at TDC when your pointer is on zero degrees. If for example you want your ignition to fire at 25 degrees BTDC turn the engine backwards from TDC untill your pointer is on 25 then align the marks on your ignition tighten up the screws retaining it then recheck your marks align when the pointer is at 25. If it does you're finished.