British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fairplay1

Glasgow V Berwick 21/10/2012

Jeez this humble pie tastes chugh....

Why would a rider, contracted to 31st October, book a flight home earlier?

Probably the reason is that air fares fluctuate wildly inside and outside of the school holidays. For example, I just looked at tickets between London and Dubrovnik around 31st October, which is over £400 with British Airways. Five days later (after the English half-term holiday) the same flight is £50. Now that's on a short 2.5 hour flight, so scale that up to the 24-hour haul to Australia and the cost differences can be dramatic.

This seems to happen with riders every year. It's unprofessional, but you can see the reason for it.

Perhaps I had an old fashioned upbringing Ian, maybe its a generation thing - when I agree to do something I follow it through. I can see what you are saying though although I would have thought that the fares would have been cheaper a week later or in early November as some areas are on holiday this week, some next week. Im not a regular traveller though so I dont really know

It would appear as Mason booked his flights prior to the original meeting being rained off and for after the season was scheduled to finish then that is why no "withholding of services" is apportioned. Can't say I agree with it and very unfair that the club has to suffer but there you go!

Perhaps I had an old fashioned upbringing Ian, maybe its a generation thing - when I agree to do something I follow it through. I can see what you are saying though although I would have thought that the fares would have been cheaper a week later or in early November as some areas are on holiday this week, some next week. Im not a regular traveller though so I dont really know

Coming into Aussie summertime fares are on the increase from November. Do you think Campton will be back at Glasgow ?

Coming into Aussie summertime fares are on the increase from November. Do you think Campton will be back at Glasgow ?

Highly unlikely Campton will be back IMO. I also found it strange that for the last few matches he has not used his Tigers racesuit, prefering his own blue suit that sticks out a mile. In the last home match, Charles Wright actually wore his racesuit!

Highly unlikely Campton will be back IMO. I also found it strange that for the last few matches he has not used his Tigers racesuit, prefering his own blue suit that sticks out a mile. In the last home match, Charles Wright actually wore his racesuit!

Shame as Tigers took a gamble on him (which payed off) .

As recently as mid October, messages on facebook from Aus were talking of seeing him home 'in four weeks'. Seems one hell of a co incidence he is now going home the same time as Josh and it was a long term booking. Why would a rider, contracted to 31st October, book a flight home earlier? Can't say I am impressed and I think it is very unfair on outgoing and incoming promoters as well as fans of all the clubs involved.

True, but when the out going team manager can't be bothered, or hasn't since August, what effect does that have on the younger riders? Josh has made clear he won't be back at Glasgow next year after a poor season, and Mason I believe will follow suit. We will get loan fees for them to use elsewhere in the side for 2013.

Shame as Tigers took a gamble on him (which payed off) .

Thats true, the down side is we will not be able to sell him on as speedway finances are on their arse. Also there is really no need to do so when clubs can just do loan deals every year.

Edited by MD

I wouldn't mind seeing him go to be honest. Not that i dont think he has great potential but I think Glasgow speedway needs a fresh approach to everything. Big changes on and off track is what we require next season to bring a freshness to us. Hopefully we might see 1 or 2 Danish imports due to the new owners contacts over there. This year has beenso flat at Ashfield and I think retaining a maximum of 1 or 2 riders from this year is the best way to go

I wouldn't mind seeing him go to be honest. Not that i dont think he has great potential but I think Glasgow speedway needs a fresh approach to everything. Big changes on and off track is what we require next season to bring a freshness to us. Hopefully we might see 1 or 2 Danish imports due to the new owners contacts over there. This year has beenso flat at Ashfield and I think retaining a maximum of 1 or 2 riders from this year is the best way to go

Good point, and hopefully Bager is one of them.

I hope if they are proved wrong you WILL name them though because they will have been guilty of pretty major mischief making which isnt fair on fans or rider

If on the other hand I am wrong, am I allowed custard with my humble pie?

Nope sorry no custard only freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, i would never put anything on here unless i knew for a fact it was correct, apoligy accepted by the way, but i know exactly what you mean about some people thinking they know something when they are just really guessing..

Maybe hoping for a bit too much but I would like to see a team along the lines of

1. Richard Lawson

2. Chris Scramm

3. 7.00 Danish new asset

4. Henning Bager

5. Claus Vissing

6. Micky Dyer

7. Charles Wright

Young talent mixed with some Danish spirit

It would appear as Mason booked his flights prior to the original meeting being rained off and for after the season was scheduled to finish then that is why no "withholding of services"

thanks for that although it still leaves me a little confused as did one of Birminghams riders in recent times not kop a ban because of a rain off re run abroad? I could be wrong, the whole elasticity of some rules confuses the hell out of me

I also doubt if he will be back but I felt that a while ago

True, but when the out going team manager can't be bothered, or hasn't since August, what effect does that have on the younger riders? Josh has made clear he won't be back at Glasgow next year after a poor season, and Mason I believe will follow suit. We will get loan fees for them to use elsewhere in the side for 2013.

You make a very good point, its been very obvious that hte atmosphere in the pits hasnt been great and there hasnt been leading by example. Interesting that you mention Josh at the same time though. He is one youngster who has always impressed me with his professionalism in the way he handles himself around speedway. Its the right time for Josh to move on and I really hope he gets a good number of injury free seasons now and the success he deserves

He would definitely be the first name on my team sheet - closely followed by Richard Lawson but I have a feeling my Comets friends would not be too happy at that!

Nope sorry no custard only freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, i would never put anything on here unless i knew for a fact it was correct, apoligy accepted by the way, but i know exactly what you mean about some people thinking they know something when they are just really guessing..

Thanks fairplay and comments duly noted! :oops::D

Maybe hoping for a bit too much but I would like to see a team along the lines of

1. Richard Lawson

2. Chris Scramm

3. 7.00 Danish new asset

4. Henning Bager

5. Claus Vissing

6. Micky Dyer

7. Charles Wright

Young talent mixed with some Danish spirit

Who knows what team we'll have, but knowing the club are running in 2013 is good enough. I watched Dyer at Berwick on Saturday and was really impressed with how he has come on from a poorish reserve at the start of the season to looking good at No 2. I also think Dilger would be worth a shout a reserve, he seems to ride our track well when his chains stay on.

I think Nick Morris will look for a PL team next year, could the change of race night tempt him? His Sunday Polish commitments this year seemed few and far between, and ended up guesting all over Britain!

However we don't know what will happen for next year as reducing costs - 13 heat format, 6 rider teams, only 1 rider above 8, fortnightly home meetings etc. I was also looking at Speedway Star where it seems Sky may consider dropping speedway due to a combination of having to pay more for Premiership rights but also the lack of entertainment, large number of injuries and the same crop of riders guesting to cover. We'll see!