British Speedway Forum
ekimba

Edinburgh Champions 2013 ? 😄

Edinburgh are a professionally run club. The loss of JDC is a big blow, but I hope they continue for many years to come.

All the best

Rob

You mean as usual I am talking sense and being realistic. This summer has had the worst rain for 182 years, massive national flooding, and effected and ruined many businesses and severely disrupted other sports. And all you want to do is continue to be a stalker and talk rubbish.

Says a lot about you.

If you think it is rubbish to ask what developments have been made to speedway tracks/stadium against bad weather in the last 40 years then that is your view.But if you think this is unimportant then shows your mentality.It is very important and it does seem to me and a lot of others that meetings are called off far earlier and with less bad weather than previous decades.

And another of your sidetracking tactics calling me a stalker!!! How many posts of yours have i replied to in the past year?Give us a rough idea......in a year i doubt i have replied to 10 of your posts.If that makes me a stalker then i think there must be thousands of stalkers.Posts like that do make you seem a bit strange.Doubt there have been more than a handful of your posts worth replying to in a year ......try to stick to the topic and answer questions if you really can rather than come out with glib soundbites like 4 blokes doing 4 laps or calling people names eh?

Edited by iris123

If you think it is rubbish to ask what developments have been made to speedway tracks/stadium against bad weather in the last 40 years then that is your view.But if you think this is unimportant then shows your mentality.It is very important and it does seem to me and a lot of others that meetings are called off far earlier and with less bad weather than previous decades.

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that at all. The question is, though, where do you start ?

Rooves are the best way, but expense and stadium ownership rule that out. Covers is the next, and I am surprised that that hasn't been tried more - even allowing for the considerable cost. However, I am aware of only two matches where they have been tried - at Belle Vue some years ago and at Berwick this season. I know the Belle Vue track was virtually unrideable, and the Berwick one certainly wasn't brilliant. It says everything that Berwick haven't used them again.

As regarding the actual surface, speedway has raced on shale for decades, so it would require a complete change to the material. Given that some sort of loose base is needed, it will inevitably be porous and just as much at risk of the weather as what we have now.

One last point. While many regard the BSPA as a set of imbeciles, I believe that the opposite is true - most are, in other ventures, very successful businessmen. Given that speedway loses hundreds of thousands of pounds every year as a result of rain offs, it is very hard indeed to believe that they haven't considered some kind of remedial change in practice over the last 40 or 50 years - suggesting that, practically, there isn't any.

I agree that there are more early call offs and that meetings might have been run in the past where they are now. Some of that I am sure is the desire to avoid financial loss in these parlous times. Another, it seems, is the change to machinery. Finally, riders seem prepared to ride in the GP's in wet conditions so there is the question of motivation.

I don't think your point is unreasonable, but in the end Tsunami is right - we are very much at the mercy of the weather and this year it has been awful.

• Like 5

That is a good post and something missing quite a bit on here.Thanks.One thing that we do have here in Germany is a group of promoters getting together to buy equipment(at the moment of course airfence)that would be hard for every single promoter to buy themselves.This might of course be easier in Germany as there tends to be only the one meeting ona saturday and one on a sunday(major meetings at least)in north Germany or south.As to the racing surface i do wonder if anyone has even looked at anything else.But you are right in that riders do tend to ride in bad conditions for a GP but not for a league meeting

You mean as usual I am talking sense and being realistic. This summer has had the worst rain for 182 years, massive national flooding, and effected and ruined many businesses and severely disrupted other sports. And all you want to do is continue to be a stalker and talk rubbish.

Says a lot about you.

Iris is right though, Tsunami. In the fifty years I have been watching speedway the only changes I can recall to track surfaces are that they have become generally slicker and that they no longer seem to use sawdust on wet tracks. There may, of course, be a perfectly good reason for the latter - I don't know.

I apologise if I have posted this before, but somewhere out there must lie a solution to the wet track problem. After all, it can't be beyond a species which managed to send men to the moon and back to come up with some more weatherproof surface than we have now. My best suggestion is that the BSPA, or FIM or whatever, offer a research project to a number of technical universities aimed at finding a better surface material. It wouldn't cost that much, and we'd have some of the country's finest brains working on it.

Alternatively, we could all be defeatists and just sit back and hope for the best that next summer is a bit drier than this one has been, which I suspect is what will happen.

• Like 4

look at mixing water repellant in the shale to replace the oil that the catchers now stop

• Like 1

..... In the fifty years I have been watching speedway the only changes I can recall to track surfaces are that they have become generally slicker ........

Aye, that much slicker that you'd be as well with wet concrete. Oh, wait a minute...........problem solved! :)

If John Campbell has made his mind up re stopping promoting Edinburgh Speedway (and you never know he may change his mind) I'd like to just add my thanks to him for his tremendous efforts over the years.

I can only imagine the hours of effort, thinking, worry he has invested in the club over the years.

I doubt many of us could cope with a week as a promoter never mind some 29 years.

He's overseen the most successful period in the club's history and he will go down in Edinburgh Speedway history for this very reason, for which he should be very proud.

Enjoy the rest John you deserve it.

• Like 3

Gutted at this news. Speedway cannot afford to lose another track. Edinburgh fans always travel in large numbers to away tracks so this would affect every track. Hope a saviour can be found.

I am also disgusted that some highly respected posters on this forum have resorted to jokes and ridicule on this topic.

Can the moderators please remove those comments and issue a warning to the offenders about the offence their posts cause to Edinburgh supporters

• Like 2

Gutted at this news. Speedway cannot afford to lose another track. Edinburgh fans always travel in large numbers to away tracks so this would affect every track. Hope a saviour can be found.

I am also disgusted that some highly respected posters on this forum have resorted to jokes and ridicule on this topic.

Can the moderators please remove those comments and issue a warning to the offenders about the offence their posts cause to Edinburgh supporters

I don't see how JDC stepping down as promoter means the end of the Monarchs . They have a more than capable board of directors out of which any of them would make a decent job of replacing Campbell should they so wish . And i know they all think too much of the Monarchs to simply just let it die . So i think this thread is making a mountain out of a molehill

• Like 2

i agree about the jocking we had it on the workington threads but lets just hope edinbrugh gets the same good news we got last night our future looks ok for the next 2 years at least

Really hope that this doesn't spell the demise of the Edinburgh Monarchs. I have a few friends who are Monarchs supporters and I would be gutted for them if the club was to fold. The whole uncertainty over their "home" over the last 2 years or so isn't helping matters either.

Hope the Monarchs find a owner, Can't the Royal family buy Edinburgh Monarchs because after all, Their monarchs.

U got so many contacts why not give em a bell? Let us know how u get on.

• Like 1

And how is the BSPA going to control the weather.

Speaking to colleagues in Sweden and Poland would be recommended, as using covers and different track materials may reduce the number of lost fixtures.

How do they afford the covers? Start by calculating the cost of each abandoned meeting, especially when the riders have made their way to the track...