British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fromafar

Fixture Planning

Just a suggestion ,would it be viable for club to have 3home fixtures /month leaving 1 race night reserved or alternate race night reserved for any cancelled fixtures that month so the fixture can be re-arranged at short notice( and has to be run or awarded against club that cannot fullfill the fixture) so the backlog does not build up so much. Some thing like that anyway,no doubt has pitfalls but!!!! At least clubs will know where they stand.

Edited by Fromafar

If it's a summer of good weather that leaves clubs with an empty stadium once a month.

Just a suggestion ,would it be viable for club to have 3home fixtures /month leaving 1 race night reserved or alternate race night reserved for any cancelled fixtures that month so the fixture can be re-arranged at short notice( and has to be run or awarded against club that cannot fullfill the fixture) so the backlog does not build up so much. Some thing like that anyway,no doubt has pitfalls but!!!! At least clubs will know where they stand.

Surely that is like guaranteeing the equivalent of one rain of per month?

Or maybe I am missing something?

It wouldve come in handy for most teams this season giving the rain we have had,but as WJM points out if we have a real summer theres the prospect of having your stadium empty once every month.

If it's a summer of good weather that leaves clubs with an empty stadium once a month.

They wont be losing money on meaningless fixtures at the end of season though which seemto be the case at some clubs.

Surely that is like guaranteeing the equivalent of one rain of per month?

Or maybe I am missing something?

Maybe!

I guess what you are saying is that it would take a bit of uncertainty out of the situation.

Potentially you could have all your dates in a month with race-able weather, then another month with severable rain-offs. You would then have missed opportunity and a backlog.

As long as the sport is at the mercy of the weather, then there isn't much we can do about it.

It wouldve come in handy for most teams this season giving the rain we have had,but as WJM points out if we have a real summer theres the prospect of having your stadium empty once every month.

At the end of the season you will have completed your fixtures.League reconstruction ect,might be needed but who knows what next season fixture list will be.Like Isaid only a suggestion

I guess what you are saying is that it would take a bit of uncertainty out of the situation.

Potentially you could have all your dates in a month with race-able weather, then another month with severable rain-offs. You would then have missed opportunity and a backlog.

As long as the sport is at the mercy of the weather, then there isn't much we can do about it.

Atleast you would have an opportunity to use the off night or free date if it arose ,as it is at present everything gets shuffled to the end of season.Like you say we are at the mercy of the weather.

I'm not knocking your suggestion, but it might make the situation worse as you are potentially pushing fixtures back in the season.

As we discussed on the 3rd bend, there are just so many things that need to change to save the sport.

They wont be losing money on meaningless fixtures at the end of season though which seemto be the case at some clubs.

You would need to extend the season to fit in the fixtures you hadn't ran when the stadium was sitting empty, that's before you consider 2 or 3 rain offs a month.

At the end of the season you will have completed your fixtures.League reconstruction ect,might be needed but who knows what next season fixture list will be.Like Isaid only a suggestion

Not shooting you down,like I said earlier your suggestion mightve helped any number of clubs out this season. ;)

You would need to extend the season to fit in the fixtures you hadn't ran when the stadium was sitting empty, that's before you consider 2 or 3 rain offs a month.

Does that not depend on how many Teams ,How many competions and how much they reconsruct some of the competitons.The rain -off sitution could still arise no matter what you do but there is a chance if you used the clubs alternative race day alittle more it would help although it woulld maybe effect attendancies

If you were to do the opposite to what you suggest, have more home meetings in a month, or perhaps weight this towards the beginning of the season, then that would give more breathing space.

If we take an example based on your suggestions: month 1, 4 available race nights; weeks 3 and the spare week are rained off, you are actually one meeting worse off. If you then have a subsequent rain off, then you are two meetings down instead of the one you would under the current system. However, under my suggestion you could also be two meetings down compared to the current system, in fact, one could argue that it would increase the probability of rain offs early on. The clincher, for me, on weighting the important meetings early on, is that there would also potentially be more important meetings completed.

Probably the biggest difference is one we talked about, and that is scrapping all the meaningless meetings.

If you were to do the opposite to what you suggest, have more home meetings in a month, or perhaps weight this towards the beginning of the season, then that would give more breathing space.

If we take an example based on your suggestions: month 1, 4 available race nights; weeks 3 and the spare week are rained off, you are actually one meeting worse off. If you then have a subsequent rain off, then you are two meetings down instead of the one you would under the current system. However, under my suggestion you could also be two meetings down compared to the current system, in fact, one could argue that it would increase the probability of rain offs early on. The clincher, for me, on weighting the important meetings early on, is that there would also potentially be more important meetings completed.

Probably the biggest difference is one we talked about, and that is scrapping all the meaningless meetings.

There is no easy answers ,thats for sure. Us keyboard commando's should be in for a busy closed season. :D . I really think Promoters have to back to the drawing board regarding riders Pay demands and stick together if the product has to be diluted us as fans have to accept the fact that the money is just not in the sport at the present time'and hope the standard of racing and entertainment is not effected too much I certainly dont have the answers regarding attract NEW fans and keeping them.The Rules have to be simplified regarding Averages and Point Scoring IMO.

There is no easy answers ,thats for sure. Us keyboard commando's should be in for a busy closed season. :D . I really think Promoters have to back to the drawing board regarding riders Pay demands and stick together if the product has to be diluted us as fans have to accept the fact that the money is just not in the sport at the present time'and hope the standard of racing and entertainment is not effected too much I certainly dont have the answers regarding attract NEW fans and keeping them.The Rules have to be simplified regarding Averages and Point Scoring IMO.

Completely agree, we had a hell of a long list that night.

Costs have to be cut, and more people need to come through the gate.

The detail of those two points is an enormous task.

Interesting comments on social media about riding in the rain. I've gone on about fans stepping up to the mark, many others the promotion, also some riders too will have to chip in their thoughts to keep the sport going.

Perhaps the riders are the most important people to consult on the future of the sport.

Workington might meet Berwick on Friday, Sat or Sunday.......................i,m at work next weekend, how am i supposed to book leave if i dont know when the match might take place. :blink::oops: