British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fromafar

Fixture Planning

Workington might meet Berwick on Friday, Sat or Sunday.......................i,m at work next weekend, how am i supposed to book leave if i dont know when the match might take place. :blink::oops:

Think youwill know after tomorrow if Berwick go through we race Workington on Sun if not we race on Workington on SAT according to website dont see any reason why it should change

Workington might meet Berwick on Friday, Sat or Sunday.......................i,m at work next weekend, how am i supposed to book leave if i dont know when the match might take place. :blink::oops:

It'll not be the Sunday - It's being assumed if they make he PCT Final it'll be against Rye House, at Berwick on Saturday & at Rye House on Sunday. That's why here looking to go to Workington on Friday.

If the fail to make the final, they'll be at Workington on Saturday.

Just a suggestion ,would it be viable for club to have 3home fixtures /month leaving 1 race night reserved or alternate race night reserved for any cancelled fixtures that month so the fixture can be re-arranged at short notice( and has to be run or awarded against club that cannot fullfill the fixture) so the backlog does not build up so much. Some thing like that anyway,no doubt has pitfalls but!!!! At least clubs will know where they stand.

If you look at past fixture lists, compiled by John Campbell, over a fair number of years you will see that there have been dates allowed for rain offs.

Problem as I see it is that when the list is compiled it is immediately changed by Promoters due to riders non availability. To my mind when the fixture list is published dates should be set in stone with no changes due to the unavailability of riders. After all the dog should be wagging the tail and not vice versa.

Riders sign a contract at the beginning of the year for a club and they should honour that contract. If they cannot they should not sign up or face sanctions for breaking the contract.

If you look at past fixture lists, compiled by John Campbell, over a fair number of years you will see that there have been dates allowed for rain offs.

Problem as I see it is that when the list is compiled it is immediately changed by Promoters due to riders non availability. To my mind when the fixture list is published dates should be set in stone with no changes due to the unavailability of riders. After all the dog should be wagging the tail and not vice versa.

Riders sign a contract at the beginning of the year for a club and they should honour that contract. If they cannot they should not sign up or face sanctions for breaking the contract.

Quite agree. The blank fixtures are usually 'Reserved' and used to fit in rainoffs. In addition, if the weather is fine, and no rainoffs, later fixtures are brought forward by agreement between the clubs to try and get a regular meeting every week. That's what wrecks fixture lists, as it is necessary to fill dates such as the Reserved ones but also the ones allocated to KOCup ties when they have been knocked out of that competition.

I agree regarding non avialability of riders its killing British speedway,and when you see the number of 2nd rate foriegners it doesnt help Edited by Fromafar

Glasgow had a couple of Sundays off as we were the last club to have a rain off, as we had nothing to put in the reserved spots as nobody wanted to bring their fixture forward. I would just load as many matches in as possible but leave blanks for the KOC

The answer is to cancel the League Cup or Premier Trophy by a different name, why they brought it back god only knows. The competition starts in March and finishes in October when everyone has forgotten about it, even the fans of clubs still involved. The riders in the finals are different to when the competition started or the finalists qualified, due to injurys and rider changes and it should be put in the bin.

Sart the season with the KOC, but don't let it drag on all season, teams must finish their KOC fixtures before they start the League fixtures. Then start the League fixtures, and if we have a wet summer there will still be plenty of time to finish fixtures and we can watch the finals in September not freezing October. If we have a dry summer with few rain offs then the BSPA get together for an hour and come up with an end of season compettition, call it "The Dry Summer Cup" or whatever. The competition would not be compulsory and clubs could declare to enter or not. The rules of the Dry Summer Cup would depend on how many weeks left of the season. It would help clubs publicity as they could say next week we have the KOC Champions visiting or the League Champions visiting. It's no good saying this next season because teams have totally different riders as the BSPA reward for success is you have to take a hatchet to your team to get under the team average.

Edited by oldtimer
  • Like 2

The answer is to cancel the League Cup or Premier Trophy by a different name, why they brought it back god only knows. The competition starts in March and finishes in October when everyone has forgotten about it, even the fans of clubs still involved. The riders in the finals are different to when the competition started or the finalists qualified, due to injurys and rider changes and it should be put in the bin.

Sart the season with the KOC, but don't let it drag on all season, teams must finish their KOC fixtures before they start the League fixtures. Then start the League fixtures, and if we have a wet summer there will still be plenty of time to finish fixtures and we can watch the finals in September not freezing October. If we have a dry summer with few rain offs then the BSPA get together for an hour and come up with an end of season compettition, call it "The Dry Summer Cup" or whatever. The competition would not be compulsory and clubs could declare to enter or not. The rules of the Dry Summer Cup would depend on how many weeks left of the season. It would help clubs publicity as they could say next week we have the KOC Champions visiting or the League Champions visiting. It's no good saying this next season because teams have totally different riders as the BSPA reward for success is you have to take a hatchet to your team to get under the team average.

Excellent post. It surely has to be the answer?

What I can't understand is that if promoter's are losing as much money as they claim, then why run an end of season loser's cup? Why prolong the season for the weaker teams in the league (whose fans probably can't wait for the season to be over) and lose ££ in the process. PT's a fine opener, but it needs three balanced groups next year to work. KOC would make a good end to the season. Season's over when your team's knocked out, instead of this prolonging the season for everyone.

Perhaps have an end off season cup straight KO luck off the draw 1 leg only,

Quite agree. The blank fixtures are usually 'Reserved' and used to fit in rainoffs. In addition, if the weather is fine, and no rainoffs, later fixtures are brought forward by agreement between the clubs to try and get a regular meeting every week. That's what wrecks fixture lists, as it is necessary to fill dates such as the Reserved ones but also the ones allocated to KOCup ties when they have been knocked out of that competition.

I would not agree with this as I think I remember going back a number of years, when I was involved in 'promoting', that riders had to be AVAILABLE at relatively short notice, as written into their contract. If this is, and I suspect it still is, part of the contract then the riders MUST adhere to the contract they sign. You as a person involved promoting at Newcastle should know these rules well, but, I would suspect ignored this on most occasions when a rider was signed, especially if they came from overseas.

It is time to get tough or speedway will die in my lifetime. I would rather it continue until after I expire allowing me to follow the only sport I have any real interest in.

Edited by edmon