British Speedway Forum
stratton

Barry Briggs 6 Blrc Wins Did Anyone See Any Of Them.?

I wondered whether anybody on here had seen any of Briggoe,s brilliant 6 BLRC wins?maybe Dave?.I wondered if there was any footage of his wins? he must of been magic to watch around Hyde Rd suited his attacking style.The greatest rider in history for me 18 world finals, 4 times winner, rostrum 6 times ,6 times British title winner(mega line ups) and 6 times BLRC winner.Some cv that and endless other titles a true LEGEND i was lucky enough to see a bit of his later career.

Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

I wondered whether anybody on here had seen any of Briggoe,s brilliant 6 BLRC wins?maybe Dave?.I wondered if there was any footage of his wins? he must of been magic to watch around Hyde Rd suited his attacking style.The greatest rider in history for me 18 world finals, 4 times winner, rostrum 6 times ,6 times British title winner(mega line ups) and 6 times BLRC winner.Some cv that and endless other titles a true LEGEND i was lucky enough to see a bit of his later career.

One of the TRUE GREATS of Speedway is Briggo. ALL of your comments are correct sidney. :t::approve:

SAW him win a couple. Briggo rates those six successive wins, usually against a line-up stronger than the World Final that preceded it, has possibly his greatest achievement. Never saw Peter Craven at Hyde Road but Peter Collins, Chris Morton and, of course, Ivan Mauger were magic there. But possibly Briggo had the edge.

• Like 1

SAW him win a couple. Briggo rates those six successive wins, usually against a line-up stronger than the World Final that preceded it, has possibly his greatest achievement. Never saw Peter Craven at Hyde Road but Peter Collins, Chris Morton and, of course, Ivan Mauger were magic there. But possibly Briggo had the edge.

Collins, and Olsen were the best i saw live at Hyde Rd, Morton Carter and Crump senior were not far off either.The BLRC was a tough meeting 1983 was a very good meeting conditions awful.But out of all my visits i think it was only dry twice i also got there for a few posponements is it ever dry in Manchester.?

Collins, and Olsen were the best i saw live at Hyde Rd, Morton Carter and Crump senior were not far off either.The BLRC was a tough meeting 1983 was a very good meeting conditions awful.But out of all my visits i think it was only dry twice i also got there for a few posponements is it ever dry in Manchester.?

I'm not his greatest Fan sidney - but - Mauger was no slouch around Hyde Road either.

I'm not his greatest Fan sidney - but - Mauger was no slouch around Hyde Road either.

Spot on WK,i wasn't a fan either had Bob Kilby off at the abbey once in a terrible move.Never see him there at his peak,but was still a massive force a great gater in my opinion.
  • Like 1

Saw them all.I think his no-nonsense style of riding put the fear of death into most of the opposition.Great rider and entertainer. Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

The only BLRC final I saw was the first one Barry Briggs didn't win! 1971. He could only manage a poor second that year, behind Ivan Mauger and after a run-off with Jimmy McMillan. On the night Briggo was the most spectacular rider. He was involved in two "photo finishes" and had to come from behind to win two others, including a spectacular win over Mauger.

I think I saw all of them and him finishing runner up in the next one, he had an ability to ride close to other riders that nobody could match, often a rider would go into a turn on the inside (almost) only to feel Briggo's right fist pushing against his back, as big Barry seemed able to go through or create gaps that others couldn't.

I saw the last of his British Championship wins at West Ham (I think it was the last). Still have the programme. Absolutely stunning performance. The No 2 gate wasn't working. Ivan Mauger struggled to a second place off of it and everyone else was either third or last off No2 gate when their turn came. Then towards the end of the meeting out comes Briggo off gate 2 and shatters the opposition on his way to his fourth win of the night.. Then he went on to a 15 point maximum literally a class above the rest of the field. Probably the most memorable performance I have seen. People rave over Mauger and Rickardson etc, who were admittedly consistent but to me, when Briggo hit his best form there was never another rider in speedway like it , at least not until Darcy Ward came along.

Edited by E I Addio

I saw the last of his British Championship wins at West Ham (I think it was the last). Still have the programme. Absolutely stunning performance. The No 2 gate wasn't working. Ivan Mauger struggled to a second place off of it and everyone else was either third or last off No2 gate when their turn came. Then towards the end of the meeting out comes Briggo off gate 2 and shatters the opposition on his way to his fourth win of the night.. Then he went on to a 15 point maximum literally a class above the rest of the field. Probably the most memorable performance I have seen. People rave over Mauger and Rickardson etc, who were admittedly consistent but to me, when Briggo hit his best form there was never another rider in speedway like it , at least not until Darcy Ward came along.

Great post Briggo was a legend, i first went with my uncle and he always said Briggo had to come from the back he said often on the handicap Mark.But when i see him he gated quite well but the best for me didnt see lots of him but he to me was mr excitement also a class man autographs having time for fans the best for me LEGEND.
  • Like 1

Top Post E I Addio - up to the last eight words.

You can't mention Ward in the same sentence as 'Briggo'. Not yet anyway. Compared to Briggo - Ward has achieved nothing yet.

As sidney says 'Briggo' - LEGEND!!

Saw him in first race when we moved to Swindon in 1968, we 've supported the Robins ever since. Superb fearless competitor. For me Fundin was number 1 in 63 to about 65 with Briggo edging him out about 66-68, then Mauger top dog for a few years, until Olsen edged him out taking over as world number 1.

Saw Briggo in untouchable form around Wimbledon in British semi around 66. Knutsson also one of the best in the mid-60s. Only Nielsen Gundersen Crump Rickardsson anywhere close for me since.

Wardy should be as good as in future. Better than Holder IMO, judging by his Blunsdon performances.

Edited by beefy keefy

Saw him in first race when we moved to Swindon in 1968, we 've supported the Robins ever since. Superb fearless competitor. For me Fundin was number 1 in 63 to about 65 with Briggo edging him out about 66-68, then Mauger top dog for a few years, until Olsen edged him out taking over as world number 1.

Saw Briggo in untouchable form around Wimbledon in British semi around 66. Knutsson also one of the best in the mid-60s. Only Nielsen Gundersen Crump Rickardsson anywhere close for me since.

Wardy should be as good as in future. Better than Holder IMO, judging by his Blunsdon performances.

Knutsson was often overlooked,for me like Ronnie Moore right up there with the best.I think Olsen was the best rider i see after Briggo Mauger certainly up there too.Recent years i would put Crump top of the pile, as for Holder often underrated and at this time in front of Ward and i believe he will win another world title.