Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Shadders

Rye House V Berwick Pct 2nd Leg) 28th October 6pm

. Mainly because most of the criticism is unfair. Yes he has made many mistakes far too many for someone of his experience but that said how can you take critical opinions from someone who doesn't actually attend meetings (Chris) As far as mentioning names in the press what is wrong with that? If Silver is mentioned by name so it should follow that by becoming involved then anyone with input can be named too, fact of life

Far as i am concerned he got the admission costs wrong and should abandon the rubbish programme those are my only gripes with him. <snipped>

Westhamboy, just out of interest would you now feel it was acceptable for Mr Silver - who has chosen to be in what is regarded a 'public' position - now puts into print an article in the newspaper slating you personally for your comments about getting the admission costs wrong and the standard of the programme and in doing so gives your full name? Is that justified? Would you not feel rather annoyed by it? other people are making the same observations but as a customer you are singled out and named - thats what happened with Shadders and surely thats the issue whether you agree with his point of view or not.

When you go through the turnstyles for any sport you are not giving those who run the clubs carte blanche to name and verbally chastise you in public. When you take the reigns at any such club, or put yourself into a position of authority, directorship etc, you are putting yourself on a pedastal to be shot at, its the nature of the beast and you know that in advance and must deal with professionally. Imo Mr Silver most certainly didn't

• Like 2

Westhamboy, just out of interest would you now feel it was acceptable for Mr Silver - who has chosen to be in what is regarded a 'public' position - now puts into print an article in the newspaper slating you personally for your comments about getting the admission costs wrong and the standard of the programme and in doing so gives your full name? Is that justified? Would you not feel rather annoyed by it? other people are making the same observations but as a customer you are singled out and named - thats what happened with Shadders and surely thats the issue whether you agree with his point of view or not.

When you go through the turnstyles for any sport you are not giving those who run the clubs carte blanche to name and verbally chastise you in public. When you take the reigns at any such club, or put yourself into a position of authority, directorship etc, you are putting yourself on a pedastal to be shot at, its the nature of the beast and you know that in advance and must deal with professionally. Imo Mr Silver most certainly didn't

Harry Ward my name there for all to see, yes it has happened to me when i was critical of a far larger business than Rye House Speedway and it was a National rag, did it worry me no, why? Because i was convinced i was right. If you don't want what comes with having an opinion then don't comment. Simple i would have thought? Shadders is a big boy and i'm sure he can look after himself but once you comment in a forum or twitter or indeed facebook where shadders is registered with a face and real name you leave yourself wide open. You say he put silver himself on a pedestal and can be shot at, fair enough but dont distort the facts and if you had the remotest of knowledge about Rye House Speedway you would understand that for everything he has done wrong he does twice as many things right, well thats my opinion as a Rye House supporter since 1976. I will be critical when i feel the need but not for the sake of it. I hope that covers your observations or question Lioness

Shadders is a big boy and i'm sure he can look after himself but once you comment in a forum or twitter or indeed facebook where shadders is registered with a face and real name you leave yourself wide open.

Can't disagree with you. I've never hidden who I am and have made many friends at speedway tracks up and down the country. Like you said, this has a downside as you have to be pretty carefull.

Len Silver hasn't been fond of me for a while, his sarky comments to me at Berwick this year proved that, but to single me out in the Mercury was pretty low. To call me a constant critic was unfounded too.

Rye House isn't what you'd call a friendly club. No supporters club is allowed and there is a definite "them and us" feeling about the place.

I make no apogies for comparing Rye House with Berwick, where the promotier, John Anderson, mixes with the away fans on their travels.

• Like 1

I dont expect Mr Wenger is top of your liking list either at the moment Shadders?

Harry Ward my name there for all to see, yes it has happened to me when i was critical of a far larger business than Rye House Speedway and it was a National rag, did it worry me no, why? Because i was convinced i was right. If you don't want what comes with having an opinion then don't comment. Simple i would have thought? Shadders is a big boy and i'm sure he can look after himself but once you comment in a forum or twitter or indeed facebook where shadders is registered with a face and real name you leave yourself wide open. You say he put silver himself on a pedestal and can be shot at, fair enough but dont distort the facts and if you had the remotest of knowledge about Rye House Speedway you would understand that for everything he has done wrong he does twice as many things right, well thats my opinion as a Rye House supporter since 1976. I will be critical when i feel the need but not for the sake of it. I hope that covers your observations or question Lioness

Thanks for the reply which, despite your tone, my observations were just that - personal observations on a situation. incidentally I meant that Silver chose to put himself on a pedastal not that Shadders did it!

We disagree on what is acceptable from a public persona in relation to supporters/paying customers but thats life. As for why I need to have the remotest knowledge of Rye House speedway to make a general observation on public relations (or lack of it) or where I supposedly distorted the facts, well that shall remain a mystery. :blink:

I too will be critical when I feel the need, I feel his actions are wrong and I will (and have) say/said so.

In doing so I assure you I am not 'looking after shadders' as you seem to have deflected the meaning of my post to imply. I am 100% sure he is more than capable of standing up for himself.

• Like 1

I dont expect Mr Wenger is top of your liking list either at the moment Shadders?

The blokes a fraud. Inherited a great defence in 1998 and had the pick of the best ever French squad. Players like Henry, Viera, Petit, Pires all fell in his lap, not forgetting one of the worlds best ever footballers, Dennis Bergkamp, who was signed by Bruce Rioch.

No trophy since 2005 and not looking like winning anything next year.

I've just heard he's on £145K a week! That is astounding.

Nelson Visa great name

Vivas?

Edited by Shadders

Do you reckon Westhamboy66 and indeed Uncle Len himself are getting the Chrises mixed up, I know "Shadders Chris" has had a few complaints but is nonetheless a Rye regular whereas the other Chris who is a perpetual doom and gloom merchant very rarely attends anyway. Just a thought.

Thi post should be re-named Shadders V Silver. There is certainly no connection to Rye v Berwick that I can see :blink:

Thi post should be re-named Shadders V Silver. There is certainly no connection to Rye v Berwick that I can see :blink:

do you mean Thread? :)

Doesn't stop anyone from posting their thoughts on the meeting. If anyone was really interested we'd be up to 50 pages by now. The truth is this is just a fixture filler for those sides who have failed. Rye House finished second from bottom of the league. Yes, second bottom, saved from the wooden spoon in the last week.

Can't believe how seriously some people are taking this piece of "silverware", almost exclusively Berwick fans I notice.

I'll be stunned if this competition is still on the fixture list in 2013.

Vivas?

Westhamboy66 mentioned the promoters Nelson Visa problem

Ahhh, so not the Arsenal legend Nelson Vivas... I'd lost interest in that post before I'd reached mention of that

Tyson Nelson Visa use 2 of 3 or an anagram of all 3 to get a visa, though Travis McGowan never got one either as far as i know though an Aussie living in Sweden may have complicated things for the Goverments papershuffling sharp intake of breath while nodding disapprovingly department.

I'm going as it's the last meeting of the season and I need my fix, other than that it is nothing more than a glorified challenge meeting.

As for Len Silver's open letter to the Mercury it is very much to the point and has an air of Len knows best rather than allaying the fears of the Rye House faithful which it should have done. Shadders was not the only fan who was mentioned, however it seems the comments regarding Jason Doyle hit a nerve.

It is my opinion the letter is very much going over what has already been said by the promotion, of course the Doyle incident last year will take it's toll this season, people don't like being told if they don't like it then lump it, especially at £16 a pop. The winter won't have change what has been said and another winter will not change that either. There needs to be an attempt by the promotion to build bridges with alienated fans who are their bread and butter.

As for family tickets, my family don't attend any more due to cost, they stopped attending in 2006, I'm the only one who still regularly attends, that's £64 that Rye are losing out on each week for four adults, a family/group ticket at say £45 is better than taking nothing surely, plus at a more reasonable price people are more likely to spend money at the food/drink concessions in the stadium.

I read the Mercury this morning to see what Shadders had to say in his response to Len and to be honest I wasn't surprised to see it hadn't been printed.

We have a top set up at Rye and regardless of all the knocking one of the best promoters in the game. I'd like to see Len really go for it next season, put out a strong team, drop admission prices or implement a group ticket and work with the press to get people back in the stadium. In business your consumer is the life blood, you have to tell them why you should get their business, not tell them you need it to be successful but they will get what they are given.