British Speedway Forum
stratton

Finn Jensen Was He The Biggest Enigma.?

Finn Jensen was the biggest enigma i ever saw ride,top class one minute a novice the next could never understand it and he had a terrific riding style.What other riders in other fans memory come close to Jensen in there opinion.?Clive Hitch who i first saw when i first started going i always thought he was inconsistent was exciting to watch a unique style straight back upright.In his career he got 6 paid maximums so he was in no way like Jensen they're must of been loads of others.?

• Like 1

Must admit, I haven't seen too many like Finn Jensen! He was a great stylist, but never mastered the art of consistency.

Steve

It seems to happen to most riders who don the red and yellow B. Brilliant or promising before... but then they put it on... Finn Jensen included.

I remember his season at Cradley. He always seemed to score 3 or 0 in any given heat

Edited by Bryce

Yes .. i remember dave lanning referring to Finn as "enigmatic" and he certainly was that. Riders have good and bad meetings but Jensen would come in stone last in the reserves race looking like he'd never ridden a bike before and then pop out and beat a heat leader next time out. Ive even seen him bolt out of the start looking v stylish, the race has been stopped as someone crashed and then look a novice in the rerun lol. I remember going to a cov v cradley league match in 1985 and colin pratt lost his rag with him. He was just awful that day - including a 5-0 when he got excluded on 2 mins.

I do recall that Finn Jensen scored a maximum at home v Exeter and failed to score in the away meeting at Exeter held on the SAME day in 1978 (?) riding for Birmingham.

• Like 1

I do recall that Finn Jensen scored a maximum at home v Exeter and failed to score in the away meeting at Exeter held on the SAME day in 1978 (?) riding for Birmingham.

August Bank Holiday Monday 1979. The number of stories about him from Birmingham supporters (and Martin Rogers, who unsuccessfully tried to sell him Reading) would fill a rather large book! :) Edited by Leicester Hunter

I'd rather have a rider in the team who scores 1-1-1-1 than those like Finn Jensen who win one heat then come last in the next. Definitely wasn't one of my favourite when he rode for Leicester.

Not anywhere near Jensens class but Savalas Clouting was similar. At Ipswich he would either fly out and win the reserves race by a mile and then wobble around at the back in every other ride, or would wobble in the reserves race and then beat a heat leader next time. Would usually score 3 a meeting with his scores either 3,0,0,0 or 0,0,3,0

Not quite the same but I remember Mark Thorpe transforming from 3 point novice to 9 point heatleader overnight. It was a meeting when Ivan Mauger came to Newcastle and had a word with Mark about something to do with his gating technique. He went out and notched two wins and never looked back, becoming a genuine #1 in the 2nd tier.

• Like 1

Not quite the same but I remember Mark Thorpe transforming from 3 point novice to 9 point heatleader overnight. It was a meeting when Ivan Mauger came to Newcastle and had a word with Mark about something to do with his gating technique. He went out and notched two wins and never looked back, becoming a genuine #1 in the 2nd tier.

The same thing with the Late great Wayne Brown had a great Pairs meeting at Berwick Where he beat Tom Owen and a few others and never looked back. Lubos Tomicek could be Jensen's Twin Edited by Fromafar

Remember seeing Finn score 16 for Brum at Brandon, also remember his miss'rs Suzanne riding against Pauline Bastable at Perry Barr.

Thinking about it at the time Brummies should have signed his GF.........

he was a funny rider for sure was Finn Jensen....it cannot have been his bikes because he went on to be a top engine tuner didn't he....when he was hot he was very sharp from the gate and he put in some decent scores, but then a 000 meeting would arrive and he would barely score a point for weeks before it clicked again......a lot of riders are inconsistent, especially ones without big backing , but Finn Jensen was amazing really.

Martin Yeates riding for Poole at Exeter was the same when I saw him. Fastest time of the season when winning heat 1. Then in his other 3 or maybe 4 rides tailing away in a last place by almost the lenght of a straight.

• Like 1