Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Triple.H.

Premier League Pairs 31/05/2013

So, after umpteen years of trying to win it at their own track.... Marvellous!!

I hope all had a good evening. But when will the BSPA allow the "best pairs" to compete. The current rules aren't working, Robbo & Richie would certainly have improved the meeting, and Ipswich weren't allowed to track their (current) best rider. Not too sure if the rules stopped other decent riders competing, but in future, please don't keep short changing the fans with rules that obviously don't work.

• Like 1

Something that hasn't been reported yet was an incident before the semis that seemed to have affected the outcome.

During the track grading before semi-final one the water tank behind a tractor seemed to slip and ground on the track just at the exit to gate 3. One of the Edinburgh riders, Vissing I think, rushed forward to switch the water off, probably because he was due to go off gate 3.

The tractor was eventually able to drive off with several staff holding the water tank clear of the surface but a long pool of water was left right on the riding line from gate 3. After quite a few tractor laps the pool was filled-in with shale.

Under the scoring system if a rider runs a last his pair loses the heat.

In semi-final 1 Vissing off gate 3 finished last and the Monarchs were out.

In semi-final 2 Richard Lawson off gate 3 finished last and Workington were out.

In the final Jason Doyle off gate 3 gated last - but was able to get past the Scunthorpe pair for an impressive win.

Early on it was the Comets' pair that looked superb, the written-off Berwick pair started brightly while Somerset suffered a surprise 3-6 reverse against Scunthorpe.Most pairs were competitive and had their moments but there wasn't the standard of racing that Somerset is renowned for with most of the interest being in the scores.

It was a pretty good meeting though and while I do prefer to see these events on neutral tracks it was good to see the Rebels fans finally celebrating a win. Without taking anything away from the Scorpions I do think that puddle robbed us of an even more competitive final.

• Like 1

Something that hasn't been reported yet was an incident before the semis that seemed to have affected the outcome.

During the track grading before semi-final one the water tank behind a tractor seemed to slip and ground on the track just at the exit to gate 3. One of the Edinburgh riders, Vissing I think, rushed forward to switch the water off, probably because he was due to go off gate 3.

The tractor was eventually able to drive off with several staff holding the water tank clear of the surface but a long pool of water was left right on the riding line from gate 3. After quite a few tractor laps the pool was filled-in with shale.

Under the scoring system if a rider runs a last his pair loses the heat.

In semi-final 1 Vissing off gate 3 finished last and the Monarchs were out.

In semi-final 2 Richard Lawson off gate 3 finished last and Workington were out.

In the final Jason Doyle off gate 3 gated last - but was able to get past the Scunthorpe pair for an impressive win.

Early on it was the Comets' pair that looked superb, the written-off Berwick pair started brightly while Somerset suffered a surprise 3-6 reverse against Scunthorpe.Most pairs were competitive and had their moments but there wasn't the standard of racing that Somerset is renowned for with most of the interest being in the scores.

It was a pretty good meeting though and while I do prefer to see these events on neutral tracks it was good to see the Rebels fans finally celebrating a win. Without taking anything away from the Scorpions I do think that puddle robbed us of an even more competitive final.

Josh Auty (not off gate 3) was last away in the second semi-final and passed Richard Lawson for third place. I don't think the puddle made any difference at all.

All the best

Rob

Josh Auty (not off gate 3) was last away in the second semi-final and passed Richard Lawson for third place. I don't think the puddle made any difference at all.

All the best

Rob

Apologies Rob, I remembered it differently. As for whether the puddle affected the riders off gate three I'd ask Vissing who made it quite clear after the first semi what he thought of the situation. by riding up to the puddle, doing a 180 degree turn and looking up at the ref's box.

I take it you were involved in the meeting since the Ben fund were present. Sometimes you see things differently when you're an observer than in the middle of things. I believe it had a serious effect based on a few years of watching riders make starts. We'll have to agree to differ. It was a shame because the meeting had run very impressively like clockwork up to that point. I suppose only a rider can give an authoritative answer.

Thank goodness I have the right to an unbiased and honest opinion now that I keep myself firmly on the spectators' side of the fence - tonight by the home straight fence just in front of the tapes level with the puddle. I think I had a reasonable view, don't you?

• Like 1

Yet again home team wins again

Do behave yourself..............I can't see the Rebels name on the trophy anytime in the previous 7 years !!

Wonder what you had to write about then, you must have been really bored waiting to write that comment all those years :rolleyes:

Yet again home team wins again

What has Shadders and Womble just said?

Apologies Rob, I remembered it differently. As for whether the puddle affected the riders off gate three I'd ask Vissing who made it quite clear after the first semi what he thought of the situation. by riding up to the puddle, doing a 180 degree turn and looking up at the ref's box.

I take it you were involved in the meeting since the Ben fund were present. Sometimes you see things differently when you're an observer than in the middle of things. I believe it had a serious effect based on a few years of watching riders make starts. We'll have to agree to differ. It was a shame because the meeting had run very impressively like clockwork up to that point. I suppose only a rider can give an authoritative answer

Thank goodness I have the right to an unbiased and honest opinion now that I keep myself firmly on the spectators' side of the fence - tonight by the home straight fence just in front of the tapes level with the puddle. I think I had a reasonable view, don't you?

Pleased someone else saw the ridiculous attempt of Somerset making sure they won at all costs !!!! Decided to water the track just before the Semi,s and drown gate 3 , just so happens they didn't have that gate !! Vissing was right to feel aggrieved , strange how Lawson had same gate in second semi and ran a last too.

Well never thought I would have ever been shouting for Josh Auty to win anything , haha, takes all sorts ;-)

Pleased someone else saw the ridiculous attempt of Somerset making sure they won at all costs !!!! Decided to water the track just before the Semi,s and drown gate 3 , just so happens they didn't have that gate !! Vissing was right to feel aggrieved , strange how Lawson had same gate in second semi and ran a last too.

Well never thought I would have ever been shouting for Josh Auty to win anything , haha, takes all sorts ;-)

Accidents happen, doyle went off 3 in the final and got a bad gate but still managed to get round. Lawson wasn't even last out of the gate in the other semi. The plan was always going to be to block out vissing.

Seven years we have waited for a pairs victory and it is amazing.

Oh I sympathise hugely with the Comets - I was really impressed with Lawson and Bach's teamwork but I certainly wasn't suggesting it was deliberate.

Accidents happen, doyle went off 3 in the final and got a bad gate but still managed to get round. Lawson wasn't even last out of the gate in the other semi. The plan was always going to be to block out vissing.

Seven years we have waited for a pairs victory and it is amazing.

Well you are a Somerset fan....

Doyle is a top quality rider and was on his own track - you'd expect him to be able to pick off the opposition which he did superbly.

Somerset v Workington would have made a superb final. As it was Scunthorpe put up a great fight.

I said it was a disappointment, nothing more. What these postings do show is that supporters see whatever favours the team they support.

Well you are a Somerset fan....

Doyle is a top quality rider and was on his own track - you'd expect him to be able to pick off the opposition which he did superbly.

Somerset v Workington would have made a superb final. As it was Scunthorpe put up a great fight.

I said it was a disappointment, nothing more. What these postings do show is that supporters see whatever favours the team they support.

I'm just annoyed by the post saying the water was deliberate. Makes somerset sound like cheaters, not saying he meant it like that but one thing somerset are not is cheaters.

Just out of curiosity then, did the riders agree to the track being watered just before the semi finals or not? Seems a bit strange that if the track was proving to be "good" for them when it was dry, why agree to watering with only 3 races left and, which has been proved to some extent, change the outcome of the meeting, was there a track issue with dust last night?

Still, its done now and the Rebels got the result, well done to them and commiserations to Scunny, a good effort by all accounts!!

Was there a run off for third place in this event or does that not happen anymore just a tie between Comets/E,boro??