British Speedway Forum
challenger

Berwick Survival.

OK folks, here is the situation at Berwick. I have spoken to George Hepburn, and he is quite happy to be named on here.

The crowds at Berwick are at a level that is not going to be sustainable at current rates, there is not a bottomless pit of cash to go into the club. This is the simple fact. It worries me that this is the case. We’re not the only club in this position either.

It has been a particularly bad year with weather and injuries, but the club has still managed to lift a major trophy. The promotion even managed to sign a much sought after number 1 in Ricky Ashworth.

We need to get more numbers through the gate and the promotion are open to anyone approaching them with what they want to see in order to get them coming regularly to speedway at Shielfield. They are aware of negative comments posted on here and cannot understand why certain criticism is not brought to their attention in person. All members of the promotion are open to what the fans would like to see.

In my opinion they have listened and acted upon a large number of requests from fans and riders, but yet some feel it is worth having a go. It is beyond me why some still continue to snipe at the club. I can only think that they have some personal agenda. I don’t pay much attention to what a certain Big Eddie posts on here, but I have to admit that he is right about supporting the club. We have to get together as Bandits supporters next year and make sure our club survives.

• Like 5

OK folks, here is the situation at Berwick. I have spoken to George Hepburn, and he is quite happy to be named on here.

The crowds at Berwick are at a level that is not going to be sustainable at current rates, there is not a bottomless pit of cash to go into the club. This is the simple fact. It worries me that this is the case. We’re not the only club in this position either.

It has been a particularly bad year with weather and injuries, but the club has still managed to lift a major trophy. The promotion even managed to sign a much sought after number 1 in Ricky Ashworth.

We need to get more numbers through the gate and the promotion are open to anyone approaching them with what they want to see in order to get them coming regularly to speedway at Shielfield. They are aware of negative comments posted on here and cannot understand why certain criticism is not brought to their attention in person. All members of the promotion are open to what the fans would like to see.

In my opinion they have listened and acted upon a large number of requests from fans and riders, but yet some feel it is worth having a go. It is beyond me why some still continue to snipe at the club. I can only think that they have some personal agenda. I don’t pay much attention to what a certain Big Eddie posts on here, but I have to admit that he is right about supporting the club. We have to get together as Bandits supporters next year and make sure our club survives.

Can any of us come up with ideas that would be good for the Club, i am lucky that my Wife and 2 Daughters split the cost of a Season ticket which is my Christmas present, could we possibly have say books of 5 tickets or even 10 available for Christmas presents for those who maybe cant afford a full Season ticket the books of tickets could be used at any time through the season, this sort of thing gives the club finances up front for setting the new season up.

Maybe i am barking up the wrong tree but i mentioned it to my Brother and he has asked his Mrs and 2 Daughters to do the same, but this sort of thing needs to be promoted now to give people plenty time to get it sorted.

Another bonus for the club is that i cant afford to pay myself and the mrs in every week but its no problem with me haveing a ticket i just pay for one so in my opinion its a win win situation i am sure if plenty people showed an interest in it the promotion would take the idea on board.

Well is it a good idea or is it crap :t: :t:

• Like 1

Mine would be, put the same time and effort into getting ordinary meetings on( for the regular bread and butter punters)like they did with the FIM meeting....

Start on time and sort out medical cover where possible so meetings arnt long drawn out, it can be Baltic esp for kids and oaps when this happens and you think twice about taking them again.

Get a presenter who people can understand.

Punters really arnt bothered about the spin, air fence. etc they want value for money, to be entertained...not standing around bored having to listen to Dicks aged patter.

£10 deal is fantastic btw...

Edited by Arson fire
  • Like 2

another thing that needs to be done is advertising the product, go around most shops pubs in the town you will see a poster advertising berwick rangers forthcoming home fixtures as the guy who is commercial manager makes sure they get noticed where as you want a poster for the bandits you have to download it why not get a large amount printed off and put into all these establishments plus holiday / caravan parks.

• Like 3

another thing that needs to be done is advertising the product, go around most shops pubs in the town you will see a poster advertising berwick rangers forthcoming home fixtures as the guy who is commercial manager makes sure they get noticed where as you want a poster for the bandits you have to download it why not get a large amount printed off and put into all these establishments plus holiday / caravan parks.

regular at a caravan park 10mins away and I never seen anything at all....few people did know about the £10 deal at the end of the season though tbf.

The biggest thing for the survival for next season looks to be a main team sponsor being found,lets hope one does,to lose the speedway would be a tradegy for Berwick.Speedway in the Berwick area is a minority sport but to those of us who go every week it means a great deal.

I will put one small idea forward,and this has been mentioned to me before,we have in Berwick quite a large Polish population living and working in the Berwick area,as we know speedway is far bigger in Poland than here but theres not to many who go to watch Berwick,some I work with dont even know where Shielfield is.My idea is for Berwick Speedway to produce a few fliers to put in the Polish shop in Berwick(there certainly was one I hoping its still there).Might not get a massive response but might just get a extra few,and right now those extra few are worth having.

It may be the case that the expense of printing a few posters outways the return through the turnstiles,which of course would be counter productive,but it worth a go.

The biggest thing for the survival for next season looks to be a main team sponsor being found,lets hope one does,to lose the speedway would be a tradegy for Berwick.Speedway in the Berwick area is a minority sport but to those of us who go every week it means a great deal.

I will put one small idea forward,and this has been mentioned to me before,we have in Berwick quite a large Polish population living and working in the Berwick area,as we know speedway is far bigger in Poland than here but theres not to many who go to watch Berwick,some I work with dont even know where Shielfield is.My idea is for Berwick Speedway to produce a few fliers to put in the Polish shop in Berwick(there certainly was one I hoping its still there).Might not get a massive response but might just get a extra few,and right now those extra few are worth having.

It may be the case that the expense of printing a few posters outways the return through the turnstiles,which of course would be counter productive,but it worth a go.

From what I understand, it is more than just a few extra that are required, and just a few have done a lot of damage...

We need a fresh attitude towards the sport, and lots of new faces on a regular basis.

I'm sure we will survive.

From what I understand, it is more than just a few extra that are required, and just a few have done a lot of damage...

We need a fresh attitude towards the sport, and lots of new faces on a regular basis.

I'm sure we will survive.

A fresh attitude towards the sport cant come from the fans alone,it needs to start with the law makers that govern the sport to,they make it look a laughing stock at times.

• Like 1

...it needs to start with the law makers that govern the sport to,they make it look a laughing stock at times.

And so do some of the "fans".

Just my opinion, mate.

A bit harsh IMO. I'm from Glasgow and normally attend Berwick 8 or 9 times a season. The reduced admission Redcar match was only my third visit this year simply because the rain has been awful and put me off, like I'm sure it has also numbed the appetite of others. Last week down for the October week I saw an advert for the reduced admission in Marshall's Outdoor shop. I have also seen adverts for the speedway in Morrisons, Etal Post Office and one of the shops in town. I have also seen them promoting the speedway at Haggerston Caravan Park.

Take into account the weather putting off home and travelling fans, the continued economic problems and the lack of tourist visitors to Berwick this year IMO have all added to the problem. FWIW I love watching speedway there and hope that they can find a new sponsor to keep going next year. I'm sure they will.

• Like 2

Would it be worth Berwick, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle getting together and agreeing that showing a season ticket instantly allows £10/7 entry at any track? Dont know how many it would atract, but in theory helps all 4 clubs get money in early and encourages fans to attend more meetings at the other tracks, might be a start?

The season ticket would hopefully take away the feeling of "I am a regular but missing out"

Fans attending on a meeting by meeting basis could be offered a "weekend pass" allowing the same discount

Edited by wjm
  • Like 3

Can any of us come up with ideas that would be good for the Club, i am lucky that my Wife and 2 Daughters split the cost of a Season ticket which is my Christmas present, could we possibly have say books of 5 tickets or even 10 available for Christmas presents for those who maybe cant afford a full Season ticket the books of tickets could be used at any time through the season, this sort of thing gives the club finances up front for setting the new season up.

Maybe i am barking up the wrong tree but i mentioned it to my Brother and he has asked his Mrs and 2 Daughters to do the same, but this sort of thing needs to be promoted now to give people plenty time to get it sorted.

Another bonus for the club is that i cant afford to pay myself and the mrs in every week but its no problem with me haveing a ticket i just pay for one so in my opinion its a win win situation i am sure if plenty people showed an interest in it the promotion would take the idea on board.

Well is it a good idea or is it crap :t: :t:

A season tickets is never really something that Ive bothered with previously,but its something Id consider,I know theres information and a form to download on the official site but maybe an application form could be put in the programme for those who dont have internet access.

... maybe an application form could be put in the programme for those who dont have internet access.

Stunning idea to save the club.

Why do all Berwick posts degenerate into personality clashes.

This thread is started for all of us to air our views on how to generate interest and bring back the missing fans to Berwick Speedway.Ive only put up two posts,both well meant,both with ideas og helping out,both replied to by the same person in a negative fashion.

Its easy to be negative but I think the rest of us can rise above all that.

• Like 3