British Speedway Forum
challenger

Berwick Survival.

This is so impoortant. The club has admitted they have a problem

We need our speedway

Let's make nothing but positive, constructive posts on here until the fix has been effected.

As the notices say: "No time-wasters, please!"

Apart from one particular poster I think this thread has done just that,theres been many posts with ideas about how to generate more interest in Berwick Speedway.

• Like 1

better than anything you've posted on this thread.... :)

Apart from one particular poster I think this thread has done just that,theres been many posts with ideas about how to generate more interest in Berwick Speedway.

Heh, heh, I've had a wee chuckle to myself about these two posts. Some will know why :)

I think a Free Admission Meeting for the 1st meeting of the season is an Idea .The riders can provide their services free of charge and put something back into the sport as their livelihood depends on it to an extent.I also agree with Oldace the the reasons the fans are deserting the sport have to been addressed to make sure that newcomers are entertained and want to come back.Most things have been covered regarding this matter but unfortunately without coming up with any real solutions.The promoters and the BSPA are the ones who have to make the right moves to get the sport back on track IMO. The majority of the fans dont have much Idea the effort and expense it takes to run a Club (myself included) but on the other hand talking to other fans there is general opinion on what is lacking in the sport which has been discussed and debated (and argued about) on this forum. I would stress that not everyone is a "forum fanny " which is always touted when a touchy subject is mentioned.

Completely agree with you. I also think the forum fanny phrase is unfair. It's a product of a certain few on here getting to the people who run the club. There are plenty on here who are not forum fannies.

The free night at the start of the season sounds like a good idea, also it has been mentioned the speed of getting through a meeting as well. It has to be sharp and without unnecessary delays. We got quite good at that at Berwick, but some unfortunate accidents caused some drawn-out meetings this season.

It could be marketed really well as an extreme sport, I am pretty sure that a lot of people running the clubs are aware of that. I can't see that being done without a huge - league wide - capital investment, though.

Although things like having (lower quality, in my opinion), more current music is an easy start. Other things like, lighting rigs, LED lap timers on the centre green, better PA systems, large screen displays all come at a hefty cost.

I'm sorry to keep banging on, but we just need to haul bodies through the gates to ensure the clubs have a financial stability, then we can start pushing for bigger improvements.

Otherwise I just don't think the cash is there to put a big push across the board; which it needs to be, the odd club will not be enough.

I don't know what rider costs are, but it would seem reasonable that they share some of the burden. Personally, the idea of a free meeting sits better in my mind than cutting wages, it has more value in terms of getting punters in, and it has to be financially worthwhile for the riders. If wages get cut, a lot of riders will just stop: I think...

• Like 3

Heh, heh, I've had a wee chuckle to myself about these two posts. Some will know why :)

Dont worry scot we know why no body cairs what screm thinks i agree with you he should not go

John heppy and the boys will sort the club out

• Like 2

How about some kind of loyalty card scheme. Nothing as fancy as swipe cards, but maybe a book that you could get stamped when you enter the stadium, and once you get ten stamps collected in your book you get one free entry to a meeting.

My local football team runs a very successful lottery scheme. You have a list of twenty teams and each team is numbered, the customer simply picks four teams and the draw is made every Monday night.I know for a fact that the income from this keeps the team alive. Might not generate enough to keep a speedway club alive, but none the less could provide more income. I live in a reasonably small town and the lottery can generate a few grand in prizes when not won for a few weeks. Just a thought.

• Like 4

From a distance...

Would it be possible to set up some sort of joint venture with the football club? Football and speedway on the same ticket? Joint promotion of the two clubs? Speedway machinery at the football match? Not sure of the logistics of this, but a demonstration heat (with VERY close, if slow, racing) during the break in the football match?

• Like 1

Thinking outside the box, a bit radical I know but it could work for all clubs.

After they have tried lotteries, duel football and speedway tickets, vouchers for 1 free match in ten etc it may be worth considering, as a last resort offering fans a value for money night out at a price on a par with the entertainment on offer.

Like I said a bit radical, maybe just go back to the tried and tested strategy of accepting lost fans by upping admission costs to the rest and ignoring why the fans are walking away in the first place

• Like 1

How about some kind of loyalty card scheme. Nothing as fancy as swipe cards, but maybe a book that you could get stamped when you enter the stadium, and once you get ten stamps collected in your book you get one free entry to a meeting.

Why not do this for the whole league,where you get your card stamped at any track and free entry at any track when you have the required amount.

From a distance...

Would it be possible to set up some sort of joint venture with the football club? Football and speedway on the same ticket? Joint promotion of the two clubs? Speedway machinery at the football match? Not sure of the logistics of this, but a demonstration heat (with VERY close, if slow, racing) during the break in the football match?

I reckon that is a great idea Shadow Captain. :approve: :approve:

It seems from a distance that the authorities want Berwick to run (Benevolent Fund meeting and World U-21 Final leg) and clearly supporters do.

This is all goodwill which might sway a company into providing backing for the club.

• Like 4

I will certainly attend both of those meetings.

Good luck to the Bandits in finding some further income.

It was in Newcastle's programme last night that they have lost serious money despite topping the league table and winning the cup. Crowds overall have looked reasonable but costs are not. Reading between the lines I suspect they, and a lot of other PL clubs, will be turning away from overseas riders who carry travelling expenses.

Serious times. Newcastle and Edinburgh (both stable clubs, considered to be well-run) admitting losses.

Workington and Glasgow changing ownership.

Berwick, despite being well-respected by FIM/BSPA,etc need a big sponsor to keep going.

Hopefully, some more Bandits news at dance on Friday night?

Making stamp deals etc ain't gonna help IMO, will be the usual crowd attending! The whole package needs to be improved to make people want to come in the first place, that's where promotion should be looking. If I didn't already know speedway was held at Berwick i don't think I would know at all! the promotion of Berwick speedway (or lack of) that I've seen, a few posters up here n there ain't gonna do much to stir interest! Perhaps if the track was grippy and good racing seen on the nights of reduced admission n free kids entry then maybe the crowds would increase. Cos if im honest and I came to watch speedway for the first time at Berwick I doubt I'd return solely because there's a lack of good, close racing! Gate n go is crap to watch!

• Like 1

Serious times. Newcastle and Edinburgh (both stable clubs, considered to be well-run) admitting losses.

Workington and Glasgow changing ownership.

Berwick, despite being well-respected by FIM/BSPA,etc need a big sponsor to keep going.

Hopefully, some more Bandits news at dance on Friday night?

I seriously doubt if any Pl club did not suffer a loss this season.A lot will depend on sponsership to keep most clubs afloat IMO. Edited by Fromafar

Worrying times with the Recession. Folk don't have the disposable income that they used to have what with a

Costs rising and Wages fairly static. According to the News yesterday only 20% of Government Cuts have come through and affected us to date. That means there is another 80% to come. Heaven help us.

You only have to look at the Utility Price Rises in the pipeline (no pun intended) to see that things are going to get a lot worse by Spring/Summer next year.

Let's just hope that Speedway can get through this and survive.

I believe it will be that bad. :sad: :sad: :sad: