British Speedway Forum
arnieg

Spreading The Glory Around

Congratulations to Scunthorpe on winning the Premier League. Everyone knew the rules as the lined up at the start of the season and everyone did what they could to get into the top 6... We did it at Edinburgh by bring Jozsef back and we made it into the top 6 to contest the play-offs... I honestly believe we could have gotten into the final if luck was on our side, but alas it wasn't to be... c'est la vie.

I see where other posters are coming from - the Edin/Worky match not being ran would leave a bitter taste in Workington mouths as they had a chance to get to the final with a win at Armadale... However, realistically, it would never have happened... But still they should've had the chance. However, it's all swings and roundabouts as things happened in the Worky/Edin match at Derwent Park which would've meant it ws Edinburgh having the shot at the title... But hey-ho, it's the way it goes...

Two things that have been mentioned on here I do firmly agree with instead of sniping and looking at ways forward...

Firstly, 4TT qualifiers are an absolute must. Some hate them but most love them... They bring the crowds flooding in and is something different in a meaningful competition. It also brings some kind of respect back to the 4TT finals which were a highlight of a season in years gone by.

Secondly, If Newcastle finish top of the league, then seed them through to the final. At least give them the chance in the 2-legged final to win what they did throughout a full league programme. Then 2nd and 3rd fight for the right to challenge them for the Premier League. That to me is fair, then if Scunthorpe were to have won the league, they'd have earned it by beating the team at the top.

You can turn upside down,sideways,horizontal anyway you want, but Scunthorpe won the playoffs but afraid Newcastle won the league , take a good look at the table .....Bitter and twisted yes I am,sour grapes yep them anorl, you's got a by into the PLAYOFF final and I've tried everything but I can't offer my congrats :neutral:

CONGRATULATIONS from you.....we won't miss them, never expected them anyway. It bothers no one at Scunny how bitter you are towards us. WE ARE THE 2012 CHAMPIONS. whether you like it or not!
  • Like 3

Here we go, the usual tripe of your not the true champions.

As others have said the league was a means to qualification simple.

For those moaning about the Play Off system, how much more exciting can you get that the Championship goes down to a last heat decider.

Scunthorpe are the Champions simple.

Newcastle simply ran out of steam.

Congratulations to Scunny

And commiserations to Somerset on a fine fight and losing out on a last heat decider. ;

• Like 6

I've tried to stay off this Thread but:

Congratulations to the 'Scorpions' on winning the ''Play Off' Final - a fine performance. I cannot say "on the League Championship" because, in my mind you are not that - Newcastle finished top of the League over the Season thus are 'Champions'. I know the records will show different - that doesn't matter to me. The 'Play Offs' cannot be justified other than being a money making SCAM that has spoiled Speedway as Family Sport. How do you explain to a youngster that their Team finished top of the League, but are not Champions. It makes Speedway look silly and doesn't make sense.

To those who say that everyone knew the Rules at the start of the Season - they are correct. There are, though, Good Rules and there are Bad Rules. However the fact that the 'Play Off' Champions are being, somewhat laughingly, called League Champions is one of the VERY bad Rules - it ruins Speedway's credibility. For what reason? A few more Meetings tagged on to an already too long a Season.

I would very much like to go back to a PROPER League Championship in all Leagues - and to ditch the unfairness of it all permanently..

Believe me - there are a lot of folk who think the same as myself - I canvassed people at the last Meeting I attended.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 4

I'm not sure whether I'm for or against the play offs but I do find it interesting that those who believe Newcastle are the "true" league champions are happy to discredit the play offs but say nothing at all about the points scoring system used this year. Both the play offs and points scoring are as good/bad as each other depending on your point of view. Newcastle only finished top of the league because frequent narrow defeats are rewarded more than occasional additional victories. Under a more logical scoring system the best team, i.e the team that won the most meetings would have finished top and Newcastle would have finished fourth behind Workington. The teams who won the most meetings were Scunthorpe and Somerset with Scunthorpe having the better points difference of the 2. Justice done IMO. Well done Scunthorpe and Somerset, the best 2 teams in the league.

Congratulations to the 'Scorpions' on winning the ''Play Off' Final - a fine performance. I cannot say "on the League Championship" because, in my mind you are not that - Newcastle finished top of the League over the Season thus are 'Champions'. I know the records will show different - that doesn't matter to me. The 'Play Offs' cannot be justified other than being a money making SCAM that has spoiled Speedway as Family Sport. How do you explain to a youngster that their Team finished top of the League, but are not Champions. It makes Speedway look silly and doesn't make sense.

To those who say that everyone knew the Rules at the start of the Season - they are correct. There are, though, Good Rules and there are Bad Rules. However the fact that the 'Play Off' Champions are being, somewhat laughingly, called League Champions is one of the VERY bad Rules - it ruins Speedway's credibility. For what reason? A few more Meetings tagged on to an already too long a Season.

I would very much like to go back to a PROPER League Championship in all Leagues - and to ditch the unfairness of it all permanently..

Believe me - there are a lot of folk who think the same as myself - I canvassed people at the last Meeting I attended.

And did that meeting involve going to Newcastle after they did not make the Play Off Final?

• Like 3

Newcastle finished top of the League over the Season thus are 'Champions'.

TWK, the trophy that Scunthorpe were presented on Monday looked like the "Premier League Championship" trophy - that's what it said on it. ;)

Total league points scored:

Scunthorpe 50+7=57

Newcastle 51+5=56

Somerset 48+8=56

I'm not counting the final where no league points were actually scored (as it decided on aggregate), but from 28 matches heading into the final, the top team across all matches were Scunthorpe Scorpions. So whether you go by the play-off final or by league points, Scunny edge it both ways.

It's 2012 - and the play-offs are here to stay, whether you like it or not. Monday night was top entertainment - compare it to the way the 2011 season fizzled out with championship obviously heading to Glasgow with a couple of months still to go.

Had Newcastle won the league, I would have been amongst the first to congratulate them. It's a pity that you can't do the same and congratulate the Scorpions.

Come on TWK, I know you're a bigger man than that.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

TWK, the trophy that Scunthorpe were presented on Monday looked like the "Premier League Championship" trophy - that's what it said on it. ;)

Scunthorpe 50+7=57

Newcastle 51+5=56

Somerset 48+8=56

I'm not counting the final where no league points were actually scored (as it decided on aggregate), but from 28 matches heading into the final, the top team across all matches were Scunthorpe Scorpions. So whether you go by the play-off final or by league points, Scunny edge it both ways.

It's 2012 - and the play-offs are here to stay, whether you like it or not. Monday night was top entertainment - compare it to the way the 2011 season fizzled out with championship obviously heading to Glasgow with a couple of months still to go.

Had Newcastle won the league, I would have been amongst the first to congratulate them. It's a pity that you can't do the same and congratulate the Scorpions.

All the best

Rob

I for one, as a Newcastle Diamonds supporter, agree with the playoffs system and applaud Scunny on their slim win against Somerset. The fact they won by one point doesn't make it jammy, it just shows how close the playoff system can be between two very good teams in the final. Disappointed that Newcastle, who led the league practically all year, weren't in the final and then winners, but that's the excitement that is kept to the end when it is up to every club to do the best they can. Newcastle were worst hit than anybody by losing Britain's highest rising star Richie, and then his twin with the same injuries. With the rolling averages, which I also agree with, our 8.50 man could only be replaced with someone upto about 5.50. Steve was on the rise and was starting to hit higher scores. Alas, the rules decreed he be replaced by a NL rider which was a further weakening. So the best and strongest team were penalised in both cases but still finished the league top from a team which had got stronger in the runnin to the end.

That's just the rub of the green and I remember the team was was winning the EL title years ago by a mile, lost KB before the playoffs and that was their chance gone that year. Best of luck to Scunny, you did what you had to do, following this years rules to win the PL.

• Like 4

When are you going to accept the rules that every team has to put up with. You're opinion of how speedway should be run doesn't change anything. Double points and playoffs were in the 2012 rules so swallow your pride an congratulate Scunthorpe on becoming Premier League Champions for 2012.

You've said a gazillion times you don't like this and that rules so stop bleating on about it!!!

Scunthorpe 50+7=57

Newcastle 51+5=56

Somerset 48+8=56

All the best

Rob

You are right play offs are wonderful the League could never be won on a teams last meeting or the last meeting of the season bet thats never happened(or has it?.how boring!). The play offs ... gets a big crowd ....dont know figures but when Newcastle Edinburgh and Kings Lynn won the League or the meeting after, if away or someone lost and it wasnt actually on the night they rode, pretty sure it wouldnt have been the worse crowd of the season.

You say on your table the final is arrived at after 28 qualifying matches well in Somersets case yes(and as an aside you have Newcastle second which again is quality as they weren't in the final) but if Worky had won at Edinburgh by the minimum 3 points(i agree unlikely but not impossible) the results would have been totally different. I far prefer another scenario if the referee(not a criticism didnt have a hope in hell of spotting it on the second bend) had seen a picture(on this forum so must be genuine) showing Lawson overtaking Cook and he had been disqualified for crossing the white line ,the way it panned out Edinburgh (barring falls etc )would have won and may have secured a maximum home win would have seen them qualify & on your table with i believe less than 50 points and could then go on to beat Somerset(unlikely but not impossible) and win the title from 5th or Workington win it from 4th. Is that credible the slightest twist and who knows it might have turned out that way and people wouldnt have praising them wholeheartedly either.

This is not about pro Newcastle anti Scunthorpe pro Edinburgh anti Workington or even me underestimating the fact that the Rebels would have been in the driving seat without the Scorpions.

We have 3 competitions the League Cup although the minor of the 3 was diminished even further by pushing League fixtures to enable the play offs ending up with an invented rule to sort one of the finalists as dates werent possible. Not sure play offs undermine the league itself by making a knock out competition out of it.......it has often argued the luck of the Cup and not always the best team wins BUT THAT should be the case over the 26 league match campaign.

What you are correct in saying these were the rules at the start of the season and the record books for evermore will show Premier League Champions 2012 SCUNTHORPE SCORPIONS and nothing will alter that.

Sadly you will have your way the play offs will stay and you will say crawl back in your Ark from whence you came but what the powers that be need to take on board is there are a quite few Arks sailing away from speedway which is fine as we are a load of old farts that dont matter and are of no consequence. But not so sure the younger ones are now using speedboats but i look forward to their radical solution of the ebbing crowds.

• Like 2

Quite how you can blame the play offs for spoiling a family sport when there were so many familys there on Monday night is beyond me,you come across as a bitter and twisted old fool if im honest,not just on here but in your favourite "general discusions",pulling everyone and everything down and to bits you miserable old git---CHEER UP FOR EFFS SAKE

Newcastle won the qualifaction table by a point,picked who they thought were the best to teams to beat,and got beaten,Scunny didnt and Won!!!!

• Like 2

Scunthorpe are the Premier League champions by virtue of their success in the play-offs. Simple. Congratulations to them on winning; their success was deserved.

The bit that was wrong was the absence of any trophy for being top of the league at the end of the league season. Other sports that decide their champions through a play-off system also award a trophy for being top of the league when the regular fixtures are completed.

Play-offs add excitement, bring in supporters, and provide a meaningful conclusion instead of unattractive friendlies or individual meetings. They should be retained. The winners of the play-offs should be 'Premiership Champions'. But, there should be another award, perhaps 'Premier League Shield' for the team that finishes top.

Then, honour is satisfied, the league is not devalued, and the complaints of TWK might be resolved.

Unfortunate that speedway took a great concept from other sports, and managed to make it a subject for controversy. Teams need promoters, but the sport needs planners.

Unfortunate that speedway took a great concept from other sports, and managed to make it a subject for controversy. Teams need promoters, but the sport needs planners.

Spot on. The administration of the sport is a shambles.

Quite how you can blame the play offs for spoiling a family sport when there were so many familys there on Monday night is beyond me,you come across as a bitter and twisted old fool if im honest,not just on here but in your favourite "general discusions",pulling everyone and everything down and to bits you miserable old git---CHEER UP FOR EFFS SAKE

I've had my run in's with TWK on politics, believe you me. I'm 'relatively' young and don't think that the world was perfect in 1959 and that Cliff Richard is the messiah, however, on this one, it is a matter of right and wrong and ethics. Play-off's may be 'the rules' (which as we know change every season) but they are not right or fair. They take a season's endeavour and compress the consequences into a 2 week period when the team with the least injuries or best guest availability can win them.

Hearty congratulations to Scunthorpe. The best team undoubtedly won the end of season play-off's

• Like 2

There are rules for every thing it does not make them all right ..The European union has rules that are killing this country do you agree with them just because they exist..???

• Like 1

Newcastle won the qualifaction table by a point,picked who they thought were the best to teams to beat,and got beaten,Scunny didnt and Won!!!!

You really know how to couch a Post montie.

Your English Teacher must be very proud.