British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moorwell

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2012 Premier League Champions

Delighted for you Rob. :approve:

You've put together a stadium and track that serves up the best speedway entertainment in the country. The track staff are just incredible - nothing is beyond them.

Last night was just unbelievable - including that so tense final race. And there's a basis there for a successful team for many years to come - after David's injury, the eldest of Scunny regular riders was Gary Irving at just 23 years old.

Congrats on that first PL honour (and what a first honour to get - the league title!!!) and fingers crossed it's the first of many. :t: PL title in only the fifth year in the league is brilliant. :D

And there then's there the NL team, amateur meetings, etc as well - all a credit to Scunthorpe Speedway.

It's been a pleasure to get involved at Scunny this year. I realise I'm very biased, but IMO yourself and Richard are the best management team in the sport, backed up by a lot of other fabulous people.

All the best

Rob P

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

Congrats to Scunny i remember Gary guesting for us last season i think it was he never gave up and got us very valuable point which helped us win that match.On the Berwick forum for team selection next year i posted a team i would like to see and it included Gary.

3rd bend Kenny would of loved this year.... Scunthorpe League champions and Newcastle K.O.Cup winners. Hope you enjoyed it.

• Like 5

Congratulations to Scunthorpe! Hard word and persistence pays off!

From National League to top of the Prem, no one can criticise the efforts of the management and staff who demonstrate perfectly how to run a track!

Well Done!

Andy B-T

I, too, witnessed 30 heats of the play-off final on the two best & fair speedway tracks in the PL. Admittedly, i expected better racing at the OTA-my first visit, on friday but wether the cold weather(3'C) or the track prep(where was the shale?) changed any advantage/disadvantage that both teams could have got,i don't know, but, for me, the hard work was done on friday, a deficit of only 5.

Last night, everyone was on tenterhooks as no one got a grip of the meeting, with the swings one way then the other, excitement was at a premium. A few dodgy moments around hts 7-9 with refereeing decisions & team decisions playing on my mind. In ht 7 the ref awards the ht where Morris could have got 2nd, ht 8 a re-run when Newman took out Birks with unexpected grip on turn 2, Davies well behind, should have been awarded but then Davies wins the ht-sods law. Heat 9 where Bunyan was struggling in his 1st 2 rides & could have got his 3 out of the way & from gate 4 could have got a good start but brought in Toft Where there was an unsavoury incident when Vissing forgot to turn left & from gate 1 took out Tofts front wheel after gating from 4. It also could have given them a chance for a t/r later but it didn't pan out that way. It then swung one way then the other on aggregate & it looked like a mechanical was going to decide this but, no, it came down to a last heat decider when Auty & Morris team rode well, which i have said before is hard to do on a wide track like ours, to keep Hall in 4th & giving the Somerset the win.

A BIG WELL DONE to Rob, Gail & Richard for what has been difficult decisions to make throughout the season. To the riders, 1 & all including, at times, some dodgy guests, to the track staff & all backroom staff at the club, MANY THANKS.

A truely memorable season finished off by what some fans saw, A Shooting Star. We did you proud Kenny & thanks for watching over us.

Edited by IronScorpion
  • Like 2

I don't understand why heat 8 was re-run, I thought the crash was on the 3rd lap.

Does anyone know where i can get a DVD of this meeting?

Edited by eric i

Bring on 2013 with, hopefully, most of this team staying together, as it's the little tweaks that can bring the greater results.

We knew we had to lose Tom(CMA of 5) plus 1 other to make way for 2 changes & unfortunately it was Tero. Bringing in Morris & a "tune up" for Toft worked wonders but it could have been so different.

Eric, if the result is in doubt, wether it's for 1st, 2nd or 3rd, it has to be re-run in the eyes of the referee. His/her decision is final interpretting the Speedway Rules 2012.

Like you said before a very dodgy decision, in my eyes Davis was never catching the scunny riders.

Edited by eric i

Well done Scunny , i hope you all partied long and hard into the night . Strangely enough on the day Glasgow clinched the title in 2011 it was a double header against Scunthorpe and Somerset . So maybe next year Rebels . :wink:

• Like 1

Congratulations Scunny

On friday at the ota a group of scunny fans were watching a couple of breakdowns for scunny riders there was not one bad comment about luckey somerset ,well done for being on of the best visiting fans this year well done to your team for winning the league,hope its our turn next year

• Like 4

No matter what any bitter fan may say. Scunthorpe are the 2012 PL champions! Well earned! We pushed you to the last bend of the last race couldn't get any closer! Congratulations to everyone involved with Scunthorpe Speedway. Enjoy it while it lasts we'll be back next year! :t:

• Like 5

It is heartening to see nice words from the Somerset fans, you are a credit to your team. 30 laps of pure entertainment from the Rebels and the Scorpions ,unfortunatly someone had to miss out- best of luck for next season.

• Like 3