British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lewis

2013 - Changes / What Do You Like ?

With the PL AGM just around the corner.....

1. What changes would you like to see?

2. What rules would you like to remain?

For me I would like to see

• No tacticals for home teams, one tactical for away teams, retain the heat 4-12 format for tacticals
  • Playoffs to be 4 teams, straight knockout
  • Shield to be 4 teams, straight knockout
  • Air fences at all tracks ( I know for some teams its impossible due to landlord restraints never the less I'd still like to see it.)
  • Some kind of photography equipment which could decide close finishes - how many times do we complain about this.

Would be great to hear your thoughts.

EDIT:

Forgot another few things;

- Meetings start as scheuled.

- Grading only allowed every 4 heats & before heat 15.

- No tripling up/down. You ride EL/PL or PL/NL, not all 3.

- 1 British rider with appropriate average starts at reserve.

- No.8 compulsory when using RR.

Edited by Lewis

With the PL AGM just around the corner.....

1. What changes would you like to see?

2. What rules would you like to remain?

For me I would like to see

• No tacticals for home teams, one tactical for away teams, retain the heat 4-12 format for tacticals
  • Playoffs to be 4 teams, straight knockout
  • Shield to be 4 teams, straight knockout
  • Air fences at all tracks ( I know for some teams its impossible due to landlord restraints never the less I'd still like to see it.)
  • Some kind of photography equipment which could decide close finishes - how many times do we complain about this.

Would be great to hear your thought.

A British summer with little or no rain would be a start :t:

• Like 2

No play-offs

4TT qualifying round

No tac rides in 2 leg matches

• Like 4

better refereeing or even two ref's at all meeting's one in the box and one on the infield or even better some sort of video setup so as a ref can watch a playback before making a decision.this year we have seen some pretty awful refereeing decisions that have cost teams meetings and riders money..

better refereeing or even two ref's at all meeting's one in the box and one on the infield or even better some sort of video setup so as a ref can watch a playback before making a decision.this year we have seen some pretty awful refereeing decisions that have cost teams meetings and riders money..

Good idea, in principle, but we want to reduce costs, not increase them.

As for video evidence, not all tracks are covered by a DVD company (at least they weren't in 2012).

I'll probably get 'shot down' for this, but a reduction in the team points to somewhere between 38 and 40 will help in reducing costs. Once things (financially) have settled down a bit, that can always be increased.

3pt British rider must be named in every team at the start of the season.

Agree with Play-offs (but not for the league title). Go back to the Young Shield type end of season trophy (IF there's time!) for the Top 8.

Over the past few years I have got more and more disillusioned with speedway, and at the moment, like many others, I am not sure if I want to follow the sport anymore. I think there needs to be drastic changes and the following are my main concerns.

I want a team that has 7 riders who I can follow and support throughout the whole season, and when a visiting team arrives I want to see that team, not guests and R/R. Of course you will say injuries cannot be helped it is part and parcel of speedway. However this season injurys seem to have been worse than last season, and that was pretty bad.

I don't know the answer, but the fact that bikes have got more powerful and faster and tracks have stayed the same size may be the cause, or I have read the new silencers make it more difficult to control, or perhaps riders need inflatable crash jackets. Whatever the solution something must be done. Teams turning up with only half of their named riders has got to stop. Having mentioned the new silencers, they apparently make it harder to get the correct set up and that is why you see top riders get a max one night, and a low score the next. Something needs to be done about that and a return to throttle control and the skill of the rider, not who can afford the best equipment and engine tuner.

The tactical rule needs to be dropped, if not for all matches then definately for the Play Offs.

Succesful teams should not have to take an axe to their team at the end of the season because of an artificially low team average being imposed. You follow your team all season, and the next season it's a different team, your favourite rider cannot be fitted in due to team averages, the average has to be increased from it's current level.

Reserves should not have more than 6 rides, with 4 programmed rides that still leaves 4 extra rides between them to cover an early race injury. It's ridiculious that you can have a reserve potentially scoring 21 points and due to rolling averages, that rider stays at reserve for weeks.

The League cup should be dropped, to ensure if it's a wet summer, we are not scrambling to get fixtures run at the end of the season Why should you have to stand on a freezing cold October night to watch a competition final. Finish the League in September, and then if time arrange an end of season competition. If the KOC or LC is kept, make teams finish their KOC or LC matches before they start their League matches. How stupid to have a competion that starts in March but doesn't end until October.

If you own a business and you want to be successful, you find out what your customers want, and then give it to them. This sport does not bother to find out what their customers want and promoters can't be bothered to ask or don't care. A business that ignores their customers fails, and that is what speedway is currently doing, with fans drifting away in large numbers at most tracks.

I hope at the AGM they have the guts to put things right or myself and many others will say, "Thanks for the memories" and walk away.

Edited by oldtimer

If a team are on a 5-1 and one of the other team comes off it should be awarded. Agree no tac subs in 2 legged matches, not fair on the team who may stay close in the first leg until the later heats

Top 4 only for play-off but call it the Grand Final, have the table topper as champions. Next 4 for Young Shield or whatever they call it.

ps no complaint about Scunny winning, everyone knew the rules and it wasn't their fault Worky and Edin couldn't ride.

Edited by comet49

Dryer weather

No parades, first race at the scheduled time

Two minutes to include gardening at the tapes

Max three minutes between heats when riders have consecutive races

Do away with official warnings for anticipating the start but not hitting the tapes. You move your excluded. Too many reruns and too many ref's choosing to apply their own code

All in all make the races come quicker to make it more exciting, there is nothing worse than a long drawn out bore fest!

MD you could actually also apply some kind of grading code as well to reduce time e.g. grading only every 4 heats unless the referee deems the track has a problem. Grading should take a maximum of 2 minutes or 4 minutes if water is to be put down (not much water required this season!!), this should end the endless tractor racing we have to endure. I think the Scunthorpe vs Worky playoff did not have a single grading from start to finish, the track was good throughout.

Do away with official warnings for anticipating the start but not hitting the tapes. You move your excluded. Too many reruns and too many ref's choosing to apply their own code.

The one thing that really frustrates me.

For me

Do away with the intricate league point scoring system.

Lets have ;

2 points for a home

3 points for an way win.

1 point for a home draw

2 points for a away drawn

1 point for the an aggregate bonus point.

Play Offs to stay

But only for the top 4 and on a Knockout Basis.

Return to the Young Shield

For team 5th to 9th.only.

When they say all 4 back mean it, don't let riders go back to pits for a cup of tea.

If weather is poor then no parade..

No tactical ride.

Return to the tactical substitute ride after 6 points behind and no double points.

Every team should include at least one British rider per team.

• Like 2

Over the past few years I have got more and more disillusioned with speedway, and at the moment, like many others, I am not sure if I want to follow the sport anymore. I think there needs to be drastic changes and the following are my main concerns.

I want a team that has 7 riders who I can follow and support throughout the whole season, and when a visiting team arrives I want to see that team, not guests and R/R. Of course you will say injuries cannot be helped it is part and parcel of speedway. However this season injurys seem to have been worse than last season, and that was pretty bad.

I don't know the answer, but the fact that bikes have got more powerful and faster and tracks have stayed the same size may be the cause, or I have read the new silencers make it more difficult to control, or perhaps riders need inflatable crash jackets. Whatever the solution something must be done. Teams turning up with only half of their named riders has got to stop. Having mentioned the new silencers, they apparently make it harder to get the correct set up and that is why you see top riders get a max one night, and a low score the next. Something needs to be done about that and a return to throttle control and the skill of the rider, not who can afford the best equipment and engine tuner.

The tactical rule needs to be dropped, if not for all matches then definately for the Play Offs.

Succesful teams should not have to take an axe to their team at the end of the season because of an artificially low team average being imposed. You follow your team all season, and the next season it's a different team, your favourite rider cannot be fitted in due to team averages, the average has to be increased from it's current level.

Reserves should not have more than 6 rides, with 4 programmed rides that still leaves 4 extra rides between them to cover an early race injury. It's ridiculious that you can have a reserve potentially scoring 21 points and due to rolling averages, that rider stays at reserve for weeks.

The League cup should be dropped, to ensure if it's a wet summer, we are not scrambling to get fixtures run at the end of the season Why should you have to stand on a freezing cold October night to watch a competition final. Finish the League in September, and then if time arrange an end of season competition. If the KOC or LC is kept, make teams finish their KOC or LC matches before they start their League matches. How stupid to have a competion that starts in March but doesn't end until October.

If you own a business and you want to be successful, you find out what your customers want, and then give it to them. This sport does not bother to find out what their customers want and promoters can't be bothered to ask or don't care. A business that ignores their customers fails, and that is what speedway is currently doing, with fans drifting away in large numbers at most tracks.

I hope at the AGM they have the guts to put things right or myself and many others will say, "Thanks for the memories" and walk away.

I think that when riders are missing from both teams, R/R and guest use should cancel each other out ie No 1s from both teams are out; no PL guests, NL guests for both teams only. Similarily for other riders missing from both teams, which would normally require R/R, NL guests for both teams.

Dryer weather

No parades, first race at the scheduled time

Two minutes to include gardening at the tapes

Max three minutes between heats when riders have consecutive races

Do away with official warnings for anticipating the start but not hitting the tapes. You move your excluded. Too many reruns and too many ref's choosing to apply their own code

All in all make the races come quicker to make it more exciting, there is nothing worse than a long drawn out bore fest!

There is nothing wrong with parades providing the first race is as advertised!!

Think to give British riders a chance to progress they must name a British 3 point reserve.

No home tac!

No tac in 2 leg meetings!

Number 6 and Number 7 riders to be British (if enough available now).these riders have combined average of 7 calculated monthly-not rolling averages.These 2 race against numbers 6 and 7 from opposition team in heats 2,6,10,14 with results counting in match.might give young brits a chance and also mean possible closer races as No.1,5 not up against 6 and 7.

Have backup cover for the ambulance so fans are not standing around in the cold waiting for the second one to arrive .Limit amount of grading per meeting ,cheaper admission and a match race between the top rider from each team gaining points towards a end of season award .

• Like 1