British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bryn

Hot Toddy's Aussie Farewell

Just about recovering from a hectic weekend after flying up to Sydney from here in Melbourne, meeting up with Ron Malm and then heading off to Newcastle Showgrounds to join the hordes of fans who turned out to bid a final farewell to Todd Wiltshire.

The former World No.3 bade farewell to his adoring Aussie fans on a night of fine entertainment, tears and laughter.

And only a broken front chain that occurred on the very last bend of his last race, the evening's finale, robbed him of going through his farewell night unbeaten.

Going into that final race, he had scorched through his heats unbeaten defeating Adam Shields, John Jorgensen, Troy Batchelor and Ty Platt in their previous three meetings.

As the massive crowd prepared to cheer him over the line that chain let him down allowing the others to pass him in the run to the finish.

Not that it really mattered for the night really was all about the fans, and his fellow riders, paying due homage to the great man.

And so it's the end of an era but what fond memories speedway fans will have of a rider who was, and still is, a model professional.

For the record, new Somerset Rebel John Jorgensen took advantage of Todd's mechanical misfortune and nipped through to win the final ahead of Troy Batchelorand Ty Platt. Adam Shields, on his solitary appearance in Oz this winter, was a non-starter in the final race after his bike developed ignition problems.

Gotta say Batchelor was very impressive indeed and looks to bve another gilt-edged Aussie prospect.

And don't bet against an older, and wiser Ben Shields returning to the UK in the not too distant future.

He looks to have got his career back on track and was untouchable in the "Evolution" section of Saturday's meeting, winning the final in style after being unbeaten in his heats.

All in all a great night.

Guest Ozace

Cheers for th ereport Bryn. :)

I'm glad to hear it was a great night for Toddy, he deserved nothing less and as you say all we have now are fond memories that will linger on for a long time. I hope he still stays involved with speedway because he is to good a man to lose.

Good Luck Todd. ;)

Nice to see another good guy have a good night in John Jorgenson. Just a thought though if Jorgo has blinder for Somerset an gets picked for the Oz world cup team, does that mean he can double up for the Danish team :P:D

Thanks for sharing that with us Bryn went all cold reading it, probably something to do with the weather here at the moment!! I always liked Todd Wiltshire and cheered for him whenever I had the opportunity to do so unless of course there was a Brit in the race being patriotic and all that lol A shame that he never won the race but......... that's speedway for ya!! :wink: I'm sure a good night was had by all and to be a part of that ending of an era will stick with the crowds memories for a very long time. See you soon Bryn, can you contact me when you get home as we don't want you sitting alone in the travel lodge again this year do we :wink:

See you soon Bryn, can you contact me when you get home as we don't want you sitting alone in the travel lodge again this year do we :wink:

with yer KFC bargain bucket :rolleyes:

Glad to see you've woken up Jojo! :rolleyes: