British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
michaelcroucher

Just An Idea For Clubs Vs Clubs

I wonder if this is a good idea to get Amateur racing against other clubs. For example Dragons Speedway (Kings Lynn), Sittingbourne and Southern track riders. I think this could work but needs the club promoters to organise something. By doing this you are meeting other Amateur riders and you are going up against other riders not the same riders in the club. This can give good experience to level of riders. What do people think about this idea

This is potentially a good idea and there are already some these types of events occurring - in the last two seasons STR have held team matches against Scunthorpe and Stoke, home and away.

However, many amateur riders will ride at more than one clubs' meetings - there is no ownership or contract and they pay to ride, so selecting riders for a team becomes difficult. Also, due to the number of clubs/tracks hosting amateur meetings/practices, sometimes it can be a struggle to attract riders to particular meetings, introducing a competitive aspect to ensure the financial viability of that club. Some clubs/tracks, such as Scunthorpe, race primarily at one venue whereas others, such as STR or Dragons, hire tracks to hold meetings. The latter are not affiliated/related to one track - look at the STR calender for this season and you will see that they held most of their meetings at King's Lynn but also at Sittingbourne and the Isle of Wight - therefore associating Dragons to King's Lynn is incorrect.

I will pass on your views as appropriate because I know clubs are always looking to hold meetings which appeal to both riders and spectators alike (although there is no charge for spectators at most of the amateur events) and do look to build team based meetings into their calendars.

The meetings that I have done for scunny have been brilliant especially for me as it gives me an opportunity to race at the Norfolk arena , a track that I never got to race on in my first career .. They never seem to be short of riders and due to the fact that we pay to ride I can't see it being a financial risk for any promoters.. Bring it on I'd say..

hey Gary, pure co-incidence i'm just looking at a Long Eaton v Mildenhall prog 17MAY89...It ended as a 48-48 draw but you'd have won if you hadn't lost to Preben Eriksen in heat 1! your only defeat...

• Like 1

This is a good idea and we are open for taking this forward at Sittingbourne. Inter amateur team events is worth looking at and our club are very interested in this proposal.

• Like 2