British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Odds On North & South Pl 2013?

On hearing of the losses by PL teams, and viable cost cutting, what are the odds on North & South PL for 2013, brought together with play offs at the end of the season?. Seems on the face of it, not a bad idea, more local derbies, combined with less travel costs, for riders and supporters alike. I think this is one of the ideas that will be to the fore at the agm.

On hearing of the losses by PL teams, and viable cost cutting, what are the odds on North & South PL for 2013, brought together with play offs at the end of the season?. Seems on the face of it, not a bad idea, more local derbies, combined with less travel costs, for riders and supporters alike. I think this is one of the ideas that will be to the fore at the agm.

The only way I see this happening is if there is an even number of teams, and that would mean Plymouth dropping out of the league and Leicester staying in the Premier League.

You could I suppose have a Northern Conference and Southern Conference, where you ride against your Conference teams twice and the other Conference teams once,, and the two top teams from each Conference go to the Play Off Semi Finals.

Northern Conference

Glasgow

Edinburgh

Berwick

Workington

Newcastle

Redcar

Southern Conference

Scunthorpe

Sheffield

Leicester

Ipswich

Rye House

Somerset

The big problem is that there is more teams North of the Midlands and running a team in the Southern section would incur more running costs that those in the Northern section.

Total fallacy that north & south would save any money. It's not about where he teams come from, it's where their riders are travelling from.

Purely as an example as his signing has been announced tonight: Carl Wilkinson.

How is Redcar going to benefit from dragging him up north for two lots of fixtures going to sve cash?

And the adoption of straight north & south groups basically absorbs the League Cup / Premier Trophy into the league - the expenses don't reduce just by calling it a League match.

• Like 3

No thanks, terrible idea, gets floated every winter and would ruin the Premier League. Half the fun is going up north to follow the Rockets for me.

• Like 1

Don't be silly. Terrible suggestion. Where's the saving for a "southern" section containing Scunthorpe and Sheffield, for starters?

Redcar would much prefer the comparatively-short trips to both the above circuits than regularly hauling themselves on 400-mile round trips to Armadale or Ashfield.

No thanks, terrible idea, gets floated every winter and would ruin the Premier League. Half the fun is going up north to follow the Rockets for me.

Wasn't much fun for me on this years Northern tour. Abandoned after 6 heats at Edinburgh, soundly beaten at Berwick, then a total wash out at Newcastle.

A north south split would be ok if you were in the Northern group and bad if you were in the south one

e.g Newcastles average travel would be about 90 miles where as say Scunny would be about 150miles

Add in have to race each other twice i guess to make up the fixtures,it all gets a bit boring.....

A north south split would be ok if you were in the Northern group and bad if you were in the south one

Excellent

e.g Newcastles average travel would be about 90 miles where as say Scunny would be about 150miles

Even better

Add in have to race each other twice i guess to make up the fixtures,it all gets a bit boring.....

Still better than watching 'Countryfile', (just),,,

I think its a decent idea in the current climate, and has got to be better than 2011's calamity, and there's not many other ideas out there,,,

I could see the "Northern Promotors" voting on this idea as it is more "local" than the Southern groups regarding travel.Undecided whether it would be good or bad Idea personaly.

Don't be silly. Terrible suggestion. Where's the saving for a "southern" section containing Scunthorpe and Sheffield, for starters?

Redcar would much prefer the comparatively-short trips to both the above circuits than regularly hauling themselves on 400-mile round trips to Armadale or Ashfield.

There would be" winners" and" losers" whateverway it was done.ie Plymouth would not have to venture above Sheffield saving about 260mls on a journey to Glasgow. There is only roughly 40mls difference from Sheffield to Plymouth as opposed to Sheffield to Glasgow.Its not the travel that is the issue IMO.The teams meeting each other to often might turn the fans off.

Please.NO NO NO.

The entertainment value seems to be the big problem, don't dilute it even further. :mad:

It's actually a decent enough idea, and absorbs the Premier Trophy, thus doing away with pointless fixtures in May for those teams out of contention for the PT Semis.

It'll include all the matches in the averages, avoiding the fixing that used to go on in the PT, so there's no reason to continue rolling averages.

It also makes the play offs essential, between the top two from each group.

All of which is good.

None of which saves money.

I could see the "Northern Promotors" voting on this idea as it is more "local" than the Southern groups regarding travel.Undecided whether it would be good or bad Idea personaly.

without having the much loved 'league cup or premier trophy', lol,,, how else do you have a full season ov league fixtures, given the number ov teams in the league,,, what with cut off dates etc,,, to see who rides against who in the remainder off the season ???,,, whilst making it fair ???

MAYBE,,, draw the teams out ov a hat at the beginning ov the season, and thats that, 'everyone knew the rules',,, bit ov a sickener if Edinbrugh get Somerset, and Plymouth get Glasgow, and so on,,,,

Okay you could break the different leagues down even further to 4 leagues of 3 teams so you could have.

Scotland/ Border Conference

Glasgow

Edinburgh

Berwick

Northern

Workingrton

Newcastle

Redcar

Midland

Scunthorpe

Sheffield

Leicester

Southern

Ipswich

Rye House

Somerset

Each team races their fellow Conference teams twice at home the others once at home.

The top teams from each Conference qualify for Championship Play Off Finals

Then all the 2nd place teams race against each other.

And all the 3rd place teams race each other.

Its a very much how they do things in the States with their leagues maybe it could work for speedway.

Obviously there would be no need for the Premier Trophy if you adopt this method.

Edited by spin king

'can ov worms'

Okay you could break the different leagues down even further to 4 leagues of 3 teams so you could have.

Scotland/ Border Conference

Glasgow

Edinburgh

Berwick

Northern

Workingrton

Newcastle

Redcar

Midland

Scunthorpe

Sheffield

Leicester

Southern

Ipswich

Rye House

Somerset

Each team races their fellow Conference teams twice at home the others once at home.

The top teams from each Conference qualify for Championship Play Off Finals

Then all the 2nd place teams race against each other.

And all the 3rd place teams race each other.

Its a very much how they do things in the States with their leagues maybe it could work for speedway.

Obviously there would be no need for the Premier Trophy if you adopt this method.

but Somerset's miles away from anywhere, apart from Plymouth, so maybe they could have their own group and just ride against themselves a few times, am sure they'll be happy with that,,, eh

'can ov worms'

but Somerset's miles away from anywhere, apart from Plymouth, so maybe they could have their own group and just ride against themselves a few times, am sure they'll be happy with that,,, eh

That is the big problem with anything like this you are going to find a team or teams that it will never suit, Somerset would fall into that category because they don't have another local team in the league.

To be honest I am just putting the thought out there, to see what people think.