British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Ss Special ... Your Views

I have stated I prefer the Lions staying in the PL next year with an altered track etc.

However, I flicked through the Speedway Star to read two opinions of promoters which annoyed me. Basically in a admittance of self-interest (greed?), we don't want Leicester to have a slice of the TV money this year...so we aren't allow them into the Elite League.

Does the sport expect fans to be total mugs?

YES

:blink:

• Like 1

I think you'd be lucky to even find 2 people who actually knew where Daugavpils was, even in speedway circles... ;)

Same applies for Krsko, Terenzano and Malilla.

Or maybe just who they're able to find to host.

I'm sure I gave them to the Dog to treat Diarrhoea. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :blink:

• Like 2

However, I flicked through the Speedway Star to read two opinions of promoters which annoyed me. Basically in a admittance of self-interest (greed?), we don't want Leicester to have a slice of the TV money this year...so we aren't allow them into the Elite League.

To be fair, it's not entirely unreasonable to be concerned about splitting the television money another way, especially with renewal of the contract in doubt.

• Like 1

Good to see the Speedway Star has printed the views of the Speedway fans, mostly which were from this forum, wether it will make any difference, remains to be seen.........................not holding my breath :neutral:

• Like 1

Good read the speedway star this week,first time in a while I've read it cover to cover.From reading the promoters contributions it still seems as if its heads in the sands,its the weather and the economy and the weather to blame nothing to do with us or the state of the sport.Its probable with global warming that wet summers are here to say so its imperative that we investigate ways to limit its impact.As for the economy people are still spending money just not on watching speedway.Only this week 20 thousand tickets were sold in 4 hours for a cricket odi (ind vs pak) at £50 a go,Status Quo sold out a gig in 7 minutes at £42 cheapest ticket,Michael Buble will sell out 10 nights at the 02 at £56-£650 a ticket.Only this weekend my girlfriend went to the local theatre and it was sold out for a matinee performance.If you add this weekend huge crowds at premier football,Twickenham,Cheltenham races and even the darts(a working class sport which is not cheap,I went Friday £35 and it was packed,darts is getting bigger crowds than ever in a recession)It was also good to see CVS and particularly Jon Cook speak out about the introduction of new silencers.Where I watch the sport its had the impact of killing the racing,taking away the atmosphere and increasing the costs for both riders and promoters.Well done the suits at the FIM for inflicting this unnecessary evil on the sport.The biggest story in the Star was for me the interview with Maurice Ducker,a fan of the sport, administrator,chairman of the BSPA who says he works near Sheffield stadium but doesn't go any more because he doesn,t see anything that excites him.This is scary and should be the wake up call that the promoters need.

............thats because he had to pay!!

To be fair, it's not entirely unreasonable to be concerned about splitting the television money another way, especially with renewal of the contract in doubt.

Fair enough HA.

But the contract is for telvised rights for all of British Speedway, not just Elite League. If a deal was made for 92 football clubs but only the top 20 got paid, the other 72 would be outraged.

But the contract is for telvised rights for all of British Speedway, not just Elite League. If a deal was made for 92 football clubs but only the top 20 got paid, the other 72 would be outraged.

I'd assume the vast majority of the television money would be going the BEL teams. The other issue that in the top football leagues, the number of clubs always remains the same from year-to-year (with the odd exception), so the amounts would be known in advance. Plus of course, splitting multiple millions another way is somewhat different to splitting a million another way.

Fair enough HA.

Is it the 'Sky Sports Premier League', as well as the 'Sky Sports Elite League'?

Split between 10 rather than 11 makes about a 10 grand difference in the size of the slice. Hardly massive is it?

Split between 10 rather than 11 makes about a 10 grand difference in the size of the slice. Hardly massive is it?

Knowing Speedway - it would have been the same had it been 50P.

Listening to Mick Horton's report of the events at the AGM ... he said that Leicester were prepared to accept entry WITHOUT taking a slice of Sky Money.

He didn't really explain why they were still turned down despite this.

Edited by Grand Central

Good to see the Speedway Star has printed the views of the Speedway fans, mostly which were from this forum, wether it will make any difference, remains to be seen.........................not holding my breath :neutral:

Unfortunately I very much doubt it. Firstly, the AGM had already happened when the Star published them, secondly the promoters are perfectly able to read this forum at any time and could have done so prior to the AGN and thirdly when have they ever taken any notice of the paying public? I bet they also didn't talk to any PL riders before terminating payment for most bonus points!

Surely its possible for each rider to have their own 'signature' music which is played whenever they win a race? It happens at Poole (although nobody knew what Ricky Kling's music was!! :D )

Generally a selection of music is also pumped out over the tannoy before the gates are opened and during the meeting, the presenter does quiz questions, rider and other personality interviews, Birthday and Anniversary requests etc etc - maybe not to everyone's taste but at least there is always something going on when there's no actual racing.

I can't believe this doesn't happen at all tracks?!

Fairly sure Waggy used to do most of this at Oxford and no doubt at Kings Lynn to but F*** me there were many on this forum who slagged him off for his promoting ability.

Edited by Triple.H.

Fairly sure Waggy used to do most of this at Oxford and no doubt at Kings Lynn to but F*** me there were many on this forum who slagged him off for his promoting ability.

I don't think Waggys promoting ability was ever questioned. His sp-ending other peoples money, stealing their riders and not paying riders were slagged off though.

I don't think Waggys promoting ability was ever questioned.

Well yes it was. I think he probably was enthusiastic about the sport and meant well, but his promotion seemed pretty tacky much of the time. Changing team lineups and cancelling meetings every other week also doesn't help.

Probably does if a promotion has a marginal existence.