British Speedway Forum
oldtimer

Latest Update From Oak Tree Arena

Excellent top four, not sure about the bottom three. Perry and Kurtz have talent but are inexperienced, and I've never been convinced by Newman and I think he could struggle in the top five. Can't see this team dropping many points at home mind.

Where does Kurtz come into it? Deb said the number 7 rider deal is 90% done and fans would be pleased. Personally I think the new signing will bring home the bacon!

Kurtz, Nielsen, whoever. The bottom line is that the tail have low averages, good luck to them all and I hope all three up their averages significantly but its a risk. Potentially though there is loads of improvement in that side, time will tell.

Rebel's no 7 Robert Lambert ? ? Absolutely flying on the continent at the end of 2012 also on at 3.00

Is he old enough?

Somerset will probably end the season with 2 of the top 5 averaging riders in the PL.

Be interesting to see what Josh G does, I wouldn’t say that he has gotten stale at Glasgow, but the injury really seemed to be a set back at a time when he was kicking on, hopefully he can get back to the form he was showing during Glasgows PL winning season, it’s a smart signing by Somerset.

Of the teams announced so far Rye look like the only side with what could be considered an established reserve pairing IMO, the rest are looking for riders to emerge or progress, Ipswich (potentially look very strong at reserve) but there isn’t much to choose between the rest.

I can’t say any side is standing out for me so far, they all seem to have their strengths and weaknesses in equal measure.

Thought some of you might be interested in admission prices and season tickets for next season, hope management don't mind me posting the details.

Admission prices for next season are increased by £1 to £15 for adults and £12 concessions. Deb said programme probably same price, did not mention car park so probably still £1.

Season tickets Adult £204 if purchased before 1/1/13 and £216 after this date.

Concessions £163-20 before 1/1/13 , £172-80 after

Season tickets will include 16 matches to consist of the following

12 League

1 KO Cup quarter final

3 Southern Trophy

Having got my calculator handy, I worked out that, 16 meetings at the full adult price would be £15 x 16 = £240, so if you buy a season ticket before 1st January you save £36.

that works out as 2.4 meetings for free. A good saving unless you go away for 2 weeks or more holiday in the summer, in which case it's cheaper to pay on the door. If you get a season ticket after 1st January it works out you get 1.6 meetings free.

If you attend speedway on your own it will now cost £18-50 for 15 heats of speedway, admission, car park and you need a programme, if there are two of you and you share a programme and car park fee, it works out £16-75 each. I'm not counting petrol because you use petrol wherever you go and you don't have to buy food at the track, but how many people can afford now to go every week. I think all tracks need to put on more of a show and improve presentation and make it a more entertaining evening, otherwise I fear many who were previously regulars, will pick and choose matches or decide that 15 heats and tractor racing is not good value for money. Somerset Speedway is probably one, if not the best for value for money, a well prepared track, great racing and great facilities, but the powers that be need to find some way of reducing costs so that future increases can be avoided, the new engine rev inhibitor may make a small difference to engine wear and rider costs but much more needs to be done either to reduce rider costs which leads to lower rider wages which leads to reduced admission prices or alternatively improve the entertainment. Fortunately the chancellors announcement this week that my state pension will increase by 2.5% will cover the admission increase.

Forgot to mention how lucky we are to have Gary May, a man with his finger on the pulse when it comes to finding and signing riders whether it be the team at the start of the season or inspired replacements when riders are injured. I think he should be known as Gary "MAGIC" May. Well done "MAGIC"

Edited by oldtimer

Not sure if im honest but seems logical if he is . Southern track so can save on the traveling time & the kind of rider the rebels need to get

Is he old enough?

Of the teams announced so far Newcastle will be the team to beat in 2013 in my humble opinion but some teams not completed yet. :blink:

Newcastle's hopes rest very much on the Worrall twins making good recoveries from broken legs and clicking straight back into the upward trajectory they were on before their crashes. I would say there is less risk in this Somerset team and would put them above the Diamonds.

Doyle, Morris, Grajczonek - couldn't wish for a stronger top 3, all capable of finishing in the top 10 of PL averages next year - but leaves us vulnerable elsewhere. Personally I'd have preferred to see Aspegren for Morris to leave almost 5.00 for the final place to improve the balance of the side, but the Promotion have proved time and again that they know the time of day, so can't grumble too much. Fingers crossed they've got it right again.

Superb top 3, won't be better in the league. Wanted Josh at Somerset for a couple of seasons.

Davies will hopefully kick on with his 3 Aussie pals, and Newman and Perry deserve to be back after last season.

Sorry to see Vissing go, hope he gets a ride in

England somewhere. Gave his all for Somerset.

Look forward to hearing who the seventh is.

Doyle, Morris, Grajczonek - couldn't wish for a stronger top 3, all capable of finishing in the top 10 of PL averages next year - but leaves us vulnerable elsewhere. Personally I'd have preferred to see Aspegren for Morris to leave almost 5.00 for the final place to improve the balance of the side, but the Promotion have proved time and again that they know the time of day, so can't grumble too much. Fingers crossed they've got it right again.

Aspegren didn't want to come.

Superb top 3, won't be better in the league. Wanted Josh at Somerset for a couple of seasons.

Davies will hopefully kick on with his 3 Aussie pals, and Newman and Perry deserve to be back after last season.

Sorry to see Vissing go, hope he gets a ride in

England somewhere. Gave his all for Somerset.

Look forward to hearing who the seventh is.

Vissing will be in Christmas Cracker

Vissing will be in Christmas Cracker

good, dissapointing not to see him in the 2013 squad.

did they mention the other remaining cracker riders?

good, dissapointing not to see him in the 2013 squad.

Claus was my favourite last year and i'm gutted that he isn't back for 2013. Would have preferred to have him back instead of Grajczonek.

Aspegren didn't want to come.

Do expand on this OT....

did they mention the other remaining cracker riders?

See DaveT's post in the Christmas Cracker thread - Haines, Tully, Sneddon and of course Claus finish the line up.

Claus was my favourite last year and i'm gutted that he isn't back for 2013. Would have preferred to have him back instead of Grajczonek.

Sadly too many injuries cost Claus, which started to reflect in his away scores too. More disapointted that there is no sign of Monberg, who was superb for us last year.

Edited by Najjer